News, Features and Upcoming Events
Student Protest: See below: Hundreds of students from Hebden Bridge and the Calderdale area took part in protests against public sector cuts, particularly cuts in education and rises in tuition fees - organised by local sixth formers who go to college in Mytholmroyd, Halifax and Huddersfield. (Photo: Mike Barrett) Read more - 24 November
COOP MAKES CHANGES AFTER MEETING - regional manager of the Co-op, Tim Coulson writes to HebWeb with a report of the recent meeting and outlining the changes which have already been made. Read More - 17 November
Burnley Road School prepares Christmas boxes for troops in Afghanistan - Read more - 2 Nov
HELEN OF FOUR GATES to show again next month. After the great success of the showing of Helen of Four Gates in June, there is going to be another rare opportunity to travel back in time and watch Hebden Bridge's famous lost 1920 film. Read More - 1 Nov
TOWN HALL PLANS GET GO AHEAD - plans to extend the Town Hall have been given consent by Calderdale councillors at last night's planning committee, paving the way for major new community and civic facilities, as well as opening up the river Hebden waterfront for a new public square. Read more - 27 October
125 Year Lease for Town Hall. More info
Walk for Wainsgate - more info and photos from Geoff Matthews
LIGHTS SWITCH ON - more photos
Remembrance Sunday - YouTube video of the parade in Mytholmroyd, thanks to the Mytholmroyd Net
Bridge Multimedia Magic - part of the Hebden 500 season. From magic lantern slides to a digital projector, technology that bridges the centuries will bring history to life this month. Read More - 11 November
Calendar Girls in Boxing Gloves The latest Calendar Girls style calendar is about to hit the streets of Hebden Royd after the launch event at the Trades Club on Fri 5th Nov, this time featuring women in boxing gloves. Read More - 1 Nov
Banner Exhibition - Artist Andrew Turner, who is setting up home in the upper Calder Valley, is staging a remarkable exhibition at the National Coal Mining Museum at Caphouse. On Saturday, November 6, the exhibition will be coupled with an afternoon concert by Will Kaufman, from Hebden Bridge.Read More - 1 Nov
The Guardian's Martin Wainwright writes to say how much he enjoyed "meeting an audience which was well up to, and beyond, my high expectations of your famous and lovely town" - read message
THESE HEELS ARE MADE FOR WALKING - The White Ribbon Campaign is men working to end male violence against women. This Charity Walk is part of White Ribbon Week and the lead up to White Ribbon Day on the 25th November. Read more - 28 October
PICTURE HOUSE THREAT - A consortium of local organisations has begun discussions with senior Calderdale council staff over ways in which the cinema’s long-term future can be secured. Read more - 21 October
Coalition Government's Spending Plans are a 'Body Blow' for Calderdale, say Labour. Cllr Swift has told the HebWeb that the Government's plans to go all out for big cuts could see over 1,000 people lose their jobs. Read more - 25 October
recent ads include: Cleaners, mobile therapist, self awareness, House to rent, house wanted, Caravan space wanted; Rooms to Let; Sideboard; Pottery Group; Telesales job; Classic Saab for sale; PC repair
Local fluoride campaigner Dennis Edmonson has died - see Courier report
Green Party calls meeting to discuss the cuts - see What's on section for 1st November.
PUBLIC MEETING VOTES FOR ALTERNATIVE VOTE SYSTEM - Local politicians Cllr. Nader Fekri, Kate Sweeny, Craig Whittaker MP and Cllr Susan Press were the speakers at the public meeting on electoral reform in Hebden Bridge on Friday 15 October. Read report
Hebweb upgrade - read about the update to this site, and how it would not have been possible without Ariadne
Popular Hebden Bridge musician, Steve Tilston has revealed the contents of a letter John Lennon sent him, giving advice, in 1971 but which he didn't actually receive for another 34 years. See this BBC news page
Patrick Munsie, former Calder High student, has been killed in a road accident in Colorado while on his gap year. See Yorkshire Post article.
See Lives Remembered - 30 Sept
GINNELGATE DIRECT ACTION - This morning, Saturday 18 September at 10.30 am residents of St John's Close and their visitors took direct action and 'scaled the wall' which has been built across the pathway through the close on to Bankside footpath. More info and background- 18 Sept
Local History Society - Autumn and Winter events now online: see "What's on". 13 Sept
Miss Rusty Employment Tribunal hearing is set for 11-14 January in Leeds. See new Hebweb Feature which attempts to bring together the story behind the sackings of her and Steve Cann from Calder High - 10 Sept
Local Blogs section - now updated
Jason Elliott's 500 Faces of Hebden Bridge is now complete. See web gallery of all 500 faces
Five hundred words about Hebden Bridge - see latest entry from Lynn Breeze: Seedy river had fun, along with a YouTube video of Jason Elliott interviewing project's sponsor.
THOUSANDS TURN OUT FOR HEBDEN BRIDGE HANDMADE PARADE
and launch of the Hebden Bridge Arts Festival 2010.
Read News Report
Shed your Tears and Walk Away - reviews in the national press. See 6 reviews of this film about Hebden Bridge. Hebden Bridge is a "madhouse fuelled by drink and drugs" … is a haven for achingly trendy bohemians. Read the full reviews from the Telegraph, Guardian, Mirror and Financial Times -
More from Hebden Bridge Web
- Accommodation - from bed and breakfast to self catering, a range of places to stay in our area
- Archive - news and discussion going back to the mid 90s
- Bloggers and columns - a section where you can read regular pieces by selected local bloggers.
- Books - of interest to people living in Hebden Bridge and area
- Contact info
- Discussion Forum - hundreds of messages every year on matters of concern to those who live in Hebden Bridge and the surrounding hills, villages and valleys
- Emails - a directory of local email addresses
- Events: a selection of local events
- Five hundred words on Hebden Bridge - one of the 500 years of the Hebden pack horse bridge projects
- Green Pages
- Hebden Bridge info - some basic information about Hebden Bridge with links to some features which have been written about our town.
- Hebden Bridge 500 - celebrating 500 years of the bridge
- History pages - links to local history websites, together with a selection of articles remembering times past.
- Lives Remembered - thoughts and comments on the death of a selection of local people
- Mailing list
- Maps - several maps of the town and area, including Google maps.
- Neighbours/twins - links to websites of surrounding towns and our twin towns in France and Germany
- News: Dozens of news items are posted every month; many are unique to Hebden Bridge Web, coming from our growing number of correspondents. Others may also be covered elsewhere but can be found on HebWeb many days earlier.
- News Highlights of 2008
- Photos - many galleries of photos, including some by well known local photographers
- Planning Watch - details of controversial developments are posted here.
- Radio and video samples relating to our area
- Search HebWeb - search the thousands of news, features and discusssion on the entire Hebden Bridge Web in seconds.
- Small ads
- Tourist Info
- Useful sites - a range of site which we think local people will find useful, rail and bus timetables, ofsted reports, local doctors, etc.
- View from the Bridge
- Web Design from Pennine Pens
- Websites List - by category - by name - listings of a large selection of Hebden Bridge websites
- What's on/Local events: a selection of local events
- Where to stay - from bed and breakfast to self catering, a range of places to stay in our area