Discussion Forum

Ladbrokes

Posted by George Oliver
Monday, February 27, 2006

Hi
Does anyone really think that the Ladbrokes is a good idea? I am 10 years old with many friends all of wich do not think that the Ladbrokes is a good idea. I know I'm only 10 and it may be different if I was 18 or older but does such a well preserved town like Hebden Bridge with such a good society and enviroment need a Ladbrokes?

Posted by Peter Ford
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I think the new Ladbrokes in the centre of town is a very good idea. For many years we have only had one bookmakers in Hebden Bridge. With the new Ladbrokes shop we have a choice and a chance to have a punt with odds set by a national bookmaker. This in turn should meen better odds for people wanting to have a bet and better facilities in which to ponder the form. I think the signage on the outside of the building is not to in your face and the building looks a lot smarter than it did covered in squatters posters and graffiti.

What all the fuss was about allowing another bookmakers into the town i do not know. Perhaps it was another case of the I'm only happy when I'm sticking my oar in brigade having their tiresome say.

Posted by Andy M

George

It doesn't seem like a good idea to quite a few people but to others its a good thing and the shop has been completed quite tastefully considering. I think you'll find it won't really harm the environment or 'feel' of the town that much though its good to see that you and your friends care for it.

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass

Thank you, George. A good number of us agree with you, which is why we did a public demo and went to court to argue that it isn't a good thing. They didn't listen, and there are plenty of folk who didn't agree with us. One guy even made a reference to "trendy do-gooders" - I can't claim to be trendy, but since when was doing good a Bad Thing?

Looking at Ladbrokes now, squatting garishly and loudly on the most prominent site in Hebden Bridge, I think I can only say "Told you so!" But they still don't listen.

Posted by Harry
Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Well, I've walked past most days since it opened and so far I've only seen a couple of people in there, not exactly that much demand for it, it would seem?

Posted by Miv
Thursday, March 2, 2006

Reverand, surely you are over reacting when you say
" Looking at Ladbrokes now, squatting garishly and loudly on the most prominent site in Hebden Bridge, I think I can only say "Told you so!" But they still don't listen."
Prior to Ladbrokes moving in the building was dirty and run down it was a blot on the landscape. Now it is clean, tidy and vibrant. I would go so far as to say its tastefully done. There are plenty of other properties that could do with a tidy up, many of them scruffy, dirty and in need of a lick of paint (many in private ownership) and all far more of an embarresment to the town than Ladbrokes

Posted by Andy M
Thursday, March 2, 2006

So what's the betting it'll shut down then? ;-)

Posted by Dave H
Thursday, March 2, 2006

More interestingly, any bets on what next door to Ladbrokes is going to be?? Could we be guilty of falling for the old magicians trick of being distracted by one hand whilst the other is up to something? The sign currently above the door proclaims this is the town for independent shops. Will that still hold true once this latest project is completed?

Thursday, March 2, 2006

Hi, Miv.
You say "Prior to Ladbrokes moving in the building was dirty and run down it was a blot on the landscape. Now it is clean, tidy and vibrant."

Agreed. It's new, and Ladbrokes have spent pots of dosh on it, so it should be clean, tidy and vibrant. (I still think it's a bit garish, but we'll agree to differ on grounds of taste:))

But before it was dirty and run down, it was a clean, tidy and useful community facility. All right, I can't rewind history, but Yorkshire Bank should hang their collective heads in shame. And if any other business had bought the premises, it might have been just as clean, tidy and vibrant, and a tad more useful to the wider community who aren't interested in throwing away their money on the horses.

No, I don't think I'm over-reacting. I do accept that there are those for whom Ladbrokes is a good thing. Good for them. I can think of lots of better things for such a prominent site in Hebden Bridge, so I'm still sorry we lost the argument in court.

Posted by Tim
Saturday, March 4, 2006

Dave H - latest info is that it will be a fish and chip shop - there was a rumour a while ago that a Harry Ramsdens would open - I don't think this is the case but allegedlly it will be a chippy

Posted by Miv
Sunday, March 5, 2006

Reverend,
Why should Yorkshire bank hang their heads in shame? If the branch had been utilised they would not have shut it down. It was a business decision pure and simple.
Lets face it, the building was tired and run down long before it closed and to be frank the argument wasn't lost in court. The only thing lost in court was taxpayers money that could have been used for far better things than funding the whims of a tiny minority objecting to a free economy!

Sunday, March 5, 2006

Hi, Miv
" ...a tiny minority objecting to a free economy"

First, how do you know it was a tiny minority? In my experience, those who stand up publicly in an issue usually represent a lot who don't. I'll grant you we were probably a minority in the town, but then I reckon the clientelle is probably a small minority anyway. The only difference as far as Ladbrokes is concerned is that they are a minority who are happy to give Ladbrokes their money. The majority in the town probably hadn't noticed or didn't care. And who says that just 'cos we were a minority we weren't entitled to ague ouur case in court? Isn't that democracy?

"Free economy"? Is there such a thing? I remember the discussions across the region when the hit-list of banks was announced. Lots of places lost banking facilities which they had used for years, and people felt betrayed. I'm not convinced it was just about numbers of people through the doors of that branch, but about the owners (Australian?) of Yorkshire bank changing their strategy in a way which damaged local community. There are lots of issues here about multi-nationals and rural communities.

Economies are there to serve people, not the other way round. As they say in all the best exam papers, discuss! :)

Posted by Elaine Connell
Tuesday, March 7, 2006

I pass Ladbroke's on average twice a day. It is empty for about 50% of the time and I have yet to see more than 2 people in it, even on a Saturday. If it really was there to make a direct profit I'd offer odds of 7/4 - as an ex-bookie's daughter I have some knowledge of these matters:-) But several people said at the time that the licence was being discussed that Ladbrokes probably wanted the site for advertising purposes. Looks like they might well be right.

As for its appearance, the Yorkshire Bank before its closure was totally in keeping with the rest of the town's architecture. The Ladbroke's shop could be anywhere. In fact I'd prefer it to be anywhere else.