Discussion Forum
Buses: engines kept runnng

From Charlie
Monday, 5 March 2007

Why do the buses there have to keep their engines running when they are just parked up?

Apart from the exhaust emissions/greenhouse gases argument, it's unpleasant to have to walk past. I remember reading that exhaust fumes are a lot more damaging to young children. A lot of parents have to walk along that pavement to take their children to the nursery.

When I have asked drivers why their engines are left running, I've received various answers:

• The company telles them to

• The company does not tell them to, they just forget

• They have to run the engine running so that the lights are kept on, so people can see the bus (in broad daylight).....

• amongst others.

A few weeks ago, when coaches replaced the trains, there were three large coaches, lined up next to each other, reversed into the pavement, all with their engines running. I rang Northern to complain and was told that the contracting companies would be told to turn off their engines when waiting for passengers. Next time coaches were there, all engines running again.

What do other people think?

From Patsy
Monday, 5 March 2007

I don't think anyone (sensible) would disagree, Charlie - it drives me mad too. I sometimes think some people live in a sort of parallel universe with all news and information about pollution/global warming etc. just passing them by.

Want to read something that outrages me? I have a running battle with shops which keep their doors open all weathers with big hot-air blowers blasting down. I always deliberately close the doors after me and actually had a toe-to-toe confrontation with the Area Sales Manager of one chain when he saw me do it. He said that store staff are instructed to keep doors open so as not to create a barrier to prevent potential customers from entering!

Does anyone remember something being said recently about such practices (blatant energy waste) becoming illegal? I feel certain I half-heard something but was cooking at the time.