Discussion Forum
Friends of Calder Holmes Park

From Mel Watson
Tuesday, 24 July 2007

I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned yet on the Forum but according to Hebden Royd Council a ‘Friends of Calder Holmes Park’ group is being set up, the next meeting is at the Alternative Technology Centre at 7.30 next Monday the 30th July.

Posted by Gwendoline Goddard
Wednesday, 25 July 2007

A meeting was held on Wednesday July 18 to discuss Calder Holmes Park and how we could protect and improve it.

People of all ages turned up, from toddlers to grannies in their 70s, and included skateboarders, young parents and sportspeople.

It was a positive, cheerful meeting and lots of good ideas were put forward.

A further meeting is to be held on Monday 30 July, at 7.30 at the Alternative Technology Centre, when Friends of Calder Holmes Park is likely to be set up. Come along if you are interested.

And meanwhile, just in time for the school holidays, the defunct paddling pool is being turned into a temporary giant sandpit. This will be declared open at 12 noon on Friday 27 July. Come along to that as well!

Tuesday, 31 July 2007

Another energetic meeting re the park was held on 30 July with realistic and practical points being made as well as the creation of a longer term wish list.

Friends of Calder Homes Park was formally set up with a constitution, chair and secretary and the first annual general meeting will be announced shortly to approve these arrangements.

The next meeting will be held in the park pavilion on Monday 6 August at 8 p.m. and will include a tour of the park to assess possibilities for quick improvements and future possibilities.'

If you care about our communal back garden and the recreational facilities it does and could provide please come along.

Posted by Peter Ford
Wednesday, 1 August 2007

Can't make it to your meeting on Monday but I for one think any efforts to improve the park in Hebden Bridge Must be commended.

I Have one suggestion that I would like you to mention at your meeting if possible.

The Bowling green on Calder Holmes in years gone by used to be the envy of the valley a perfect grass surface for its intended purpose bowling!

Recently the surface has deteriorated due to people using it for playing football on, having picnics and exercising their dogs. I have witnessed all these activities in recent months and to be fair the mentioned activities have been carried out by young and old alike. I am sure that the majority of these people have not intended to damage the bowling green surface or deliberately walk on an area that is out of bounds to those with the slightest bit of common sense, and there I think lies the problem. There are no signs telling people to keep off the grass. A number of these signs on and around the bowling green surface may just make a difference.

The same solution could also be applied to the putting green which again has turned from a having a pristine surface into a scrub area come football pitch. The days of putting seem long gone.

Posted by Mel Watson
Thursday, 2 August 2007

I too cannot attend the meeting. However, as I am concerned about certain parts of the park becoming an eyesore, I have had a few exchanges with Naomi Goddard at Hebden Royd. My messages to her have been regarding the fact that, as a direct consequence of the work on the new pathway, parts of the park look like a building site and there is still the pile of rubbish (now larger) at the bottom of the path down from Station Road (the new one which was laid a few years ago). Anyone who cares for the park might be interested to compare 'promises’ with ‘action’:

From Naomi Goddard
26th of June
“All rubbish should be removed and all grassed areas reseeded. I will pass this email on to Calderdale's engineer who is project managing the scheme”

Forwarded to me by Naomi Goddard
18th of last month
“Hi Naomi
the top soil strip area by river will be reseeded by Leisure when they seed the new bankings, programmed for this week..........the pile in the corner has had root balls added to, will liaise with Leisure re moving, the concrete was from the previous Yorkshire Water works in park and we have no instructions to move that............
Richard Binks
Project Engineer Calderdale MBC”

From me to Naomi Goddard on the 20th of last month
“Thank you for your response.

Regarding the concrete, if Yorkshire Water is going to duck its responsibility to clear up its mess, can Mr. Binks be requested to move it.

It is not exactly an enormous amount. The same JCB and truck which moves the other stuff could surely be used to remove this eyesore.

Sorry, Naomi I must be missing something. Why is it so difficult to get this eyesore moved. If it is left there the Welcome to Hebden Bridge for any visitors arriving by train and, logically, using that path to get into the park, will be this eyesore!

From Naomi Goddard
24th of last month:
“Spoke to the contract manager yesterday and he assures me that it will all be moved - though will keep monitoring the situation”

Don’t hold your breath – unfortunately.

Thursday, 9 August 2007

A tennis net is now up. It is on the basketball court.

This leaves space for players to practise shooting at the hoops.

The other court remains free for football.

There are, this morning, four cheap raquets and four elderly tennis balls on the court. Donations of other tennis equipment welcome!

Posted by Anne H
Sunday, 12 August 2007

Surely a sandpit needs to be covered to prevent cats getting in there. If you had a sand pit at home you wouldn't just pick out the cat poo every morning and then let your children get straight back in there! Public play areas are usually disinfected as well. Are you sure they don't do more than just rake it?

Posted by Jocasta Fletcher
Wednesday, 29 August 2007

Calling all park users – parents, skateboarders, football & tennis players, basket & netball players, bowlers, walkers ……

The Friends of Calder Holmes Park will be holding their first Annual General Meeting on 24th September 2007 at 8pm at The Council Offices in Hebden Bridge and would like to invite anyone who has an interest or opinion in the future of Calder Holmes Park to come along.

The meeting will include the elections of officers and the adoption of the official constitution of the group so that we can begin the process of applying for funding. There will also be an update on the current status of the park, plans for the future and a chance for you to voice your ideas.

We are seeking more local residents to become actively involved with the ‘Friends’, so if you would like to stand for a post on the committee nominations may be made on the night. We also want to hear what anyone in Hebden Bridge thinks of the park and how it could be improved in the immediate, short and long term.

If you would like to air your views but are unable to attend you can write to: The Friends of Calder Holmes Park, c/o Hebden Royd Town Council, Council Offices, St George's Street, Hebden Bridge, W Yorks, HX7 7BY.

The Friends of Calder Holmes Park is a voluntary group of local people who want to make the park - our park, our back garden. Our aim is to improve the facilities and usage of the park for all, working on behalf of the residents of Hebden Bridge in consultation with Hebden Royd Town Council, Calderdale Council and local sporting clubs, associations and individuals.

If you would like more information or to have a say, please come along to the meeting…….

Posted by Charlie O
Wednesday, 5 September 2007

Will anyone from Calderdale and/or Hebden Royd council be invited/requested to attend?

No doubt several important matters, of deep concern to most HB residents, will be raised. However, if no-one is present who can answer relevant questions, the meeting will not be as successful as I hope it will be.

Thank you.

Posted by Jocasta Fletcher
Wednesday, 12 September 2007

I agree and Yes - There should be representatives from both Calderdale Council and Hebden Royd Town Council. We are committed in working together on issues relating to the park. Reps from both councils have attended all meetings so far.

What we need now is for residents to come along and be active in making the park 'Hebden's back garden'.

Hebweb News: join the work party this Saturday (29th Sept) - more info and AGM report - 25 Sept

See also

Ice Cream vans in Park

See HebWeb News: Friends of the Park