Discussion Forum
A Move To Hebden Bridge?

From Kev Richardson
Monday, 17 August 2009

I have only visited Hebden Bridge on one occasion but liked what I saw. I am seriously thinking of moving to Hebden Bridge but I would like some honest opinions about the place. I am looking for a peaceful area but with good community spirit and plenty to do if needed. I am a musician, complementary health therapist, and at the moment also a support worker in mental health. Your views would be very much appreciated.

From Jason Elliott
Tuesday, 18 August 2009

If you were one of those people who take those (in my opinion, rather daft) Facebook quizzes called "What Northen Town should I live in?", the answer it would give you would most certainly give you would be Hebden Bridge.

Seriously though, at least 1000 of the 4500 people who live here are musicians / complementary health therapists / support workers.

All you're missing is a degree in textiles!

Do it. Make the move.

From Kev Richardson
Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Just to say thanks Jason for your reply. I originally come from the Doncaster area of South Yorkshire but at present I am living on the west coast of Scotland. I shall probably give Hebden a visit on my next trip down in a couple of weeks time.

From Susan Quick
Thursday, 20 August 2009

Do it! I did. I was forced up here for a weekend conference of the World Development Movement at the Birchcliffe Centre. Who forced me? Three friends. I was living in London suburbia at the time. Afraid I'm a deep Southerner, originally from Bristol.

I fell in love with the place. Came back a few weeks later with my partner. Camped for a week in a tent and went house hunting. Took a whole week to find the home of my dreams. That was 1995 and I'm still here!

Best move I ever made. Hebden is full of people I first met in Africa! Including my next door neighbour for a year in Darfur, Sudan.

Yes do come, you've got all the right skills and experience. You fit!

From Joanna Beacroft-Mitchell
Friday, 21 August 2009

Hi Kev

As current Mayoress of our very fair town (and a resident of only 7 years) I'd just like to say please do move here.

But please please please don't come because you 'fit'.

Come because it is beautiful. Come because it is remote and the weather is 'interesting', come because some people will tell you that it is the UFO centre of the universe while others will tell you that 'Moors are the stage for the performance of heaven' and will invite you to the soon to be refurbished Baptist Chapel. Come because it is where the coiners counterfeited or where Ted Hughes was inspired but most of all come because everyone who has moved here since time immemorial has been extended a warm Yorkshire welcome whether they 'fit' or not.

You will forever by an 'Off Cumden' because your grandfather's grandfather wasn't born here - but please do not for one second think of us as somewhere you have to 'fit'.

From Nicolas Flandrin-Jones
Monday, 14 September 2009

I am a french writer and I have just moved with my wife (who is english) to Midgley from South of France, to finish a novel and working on various projects.

As a french native, I really enjoy living in Yorhshire and in particular around Hedben Bridge. Walking in the moors is a piece of heaven and an inexhaustible inspiring influence. People are deeply kind and welcoming! It is a fantastic place to live!

From Rev Tony Buglass
Monday, 14 September 2009

Bonjour, Nicolas, et bienvenue!

Bit colder here, than the South of France, I reckon.

One note of caution - please don't make the mistake of thinking that what you hear spoken around here is English. It might sound like it from time to time, but then it keeps slipping into this strange tongue called Yorkshire. Speaking as a Geordie missionary to Yorkshire, I can say it's interesting. It'll be fascinating to see how living here affects the vocabulary of your novel...

From Colin C
Wednesday, 16 September 2009

Whilst agreeing that Hebden Bridge is a lovely place to live, I can only echo Joanna BM’s sentiments. Please don’t come to Hebden Bridge because ‘you fit’. The truth is that like everywhere else the town has many different kinds of people living and working here. Judging by some of the responses you may have started to believe that everyone you meet in the town will be a charity working musician and part time juggler.

Of course this isn’t true, there is a prominent and vocal minority in Hebden Bridge that do have a wee tendency to hype the stereotyped ‘unique selling points’ of the town and at the same time underplay its many similarities with most other Northern mill towns that are just below the surface.

From Elchen
Wednesday, 7 October 2009

I moved to Hebden, along with my family four months ago because my other half got a job in Halifax and my work is flexible enough that it allows me to work from home.

My experience has led me to believe that it's not hard to 'fit in' as it is such a diverse place to live. I have met people from all walks of life those that have grown up in the area and those that moved in from far and wide. I've also found that every interest is catered for, from walking & mountain biking to art and politics, I really love the place apart from the amount of dog poo there is!