Ryburne

Small ads

Road gritting

From Martin F

Thursday, 2 December 2010

I would just like to congratulate and thank Calderdale for the way in which they are gritting roads and keeping the traffic flowing.

Yesterday I was in Bradford and saw that even main roads like Manningham Lane and Queens Road had apparently not even been touched.

Well done Calderdale.

From Billy Painter

Friday, 3 December 2010

Couldn't agree more Martin, the way that Calderdale have dealt with the gritting and road clearance this year has been first class and minimal problems have been caused as a result. Not only have the main roads and bus routes been cleared, but the snow and ice on many other roads has also been rectified making travelling much easier and safer.

We were all very quick to complain last year, myself included, but vast improvements have been made this year, and the team at Calderdale can be proud of their efforts.

Well done, keep it going!

From Tim B

Friday, 3 December 2010

Agreed - I was really pleased to see many pavements and footpaths done this year - saves walking in the road with the cars like I had to do last year!

From Rev Tony Buglass

Monday, 6 December 2010

We had a big funeral at Heptonstall Methodist Church on Friday. We were a bit concerned - even if people could get up to Heptonstall, the chapel is along Northgate, down some steps, and distinctly difficult to access. So our church steward rang Calderdale, explained the problem, and asked if there was any chance Northgate could be gritted. Calderdale were great! They sent a van with men who gritted the lane, the steps and the yard on Thursday, and came back on Friday morning to do it again and make sure it was clear. The funeral went off without a hitch.

I have been very critical of Calderdale on various occasions, and no doubt will be so again, but on this occasion - hats off to the guys at the sharp end, and well done and a big thank you to Calderdale for rising to the occasion.

From Sutti H

Monday, 6 December 2010

I have travelled around the uk for many years using the roads and have always felt that Calderdale's gritting/ploughing were amongst the best.
All you have to do is go to Bradford, Huddersfield, Keighley or Rochdale to see how good Calderdale has been.

There has been a difference between Todmorden, Hebden, Halifax and Brigouse over the last 20 years or so, but it seems to be generally good all over this year

Well done again Calderdale.

From John G

Saturday, 18 December 2010

Try living on Highfield Crescent, one of the steepest roads in Calderdale, gritted four times in twelve years.

From Sutti H

Monday, 20 December 2010

I can't ever remember it being gritted John. You should have a pretty good idea there will be problems if it snows. The gradient gives it away.

There has to be some common sense applied when gritting. Main roads first then side roads, residents can clear their own streets and pavements. People might then get to know their neighbours. This is nothing to do with Cameron's big society, it happened for years before he stole the idea.

From John G

Tuesday, 21 December 2010

Highfield Crescent has now been gritted five times in twelve years, and we have known all our neighbours in that twelve years, thank you.

From Andy M

Tuesday, 21 December 2010

There's always the 'Big Society' solution:

Buy your own grit and shovel and do your neighbours bit of road as well!