Ryburne

Small ads

The changing face of Hebden Bridge

From Jenny B

Monday, 30 July 2012

I note on the front page of this site, a small item re closure of the book shop. Did any of us see this coming? Kindles apart, we had 3 bookshops, maybe one had to go?

I see the Booths curtain shop is to be an Estate Agents. A sign of affluence if the TV relocation series are to be believed. A new walking gear store in the Square - designer prices. Now, allegedly a Fatface is to open.

Is this the changing face or a natural evolvement in an affluent town? Once again are they catering for visitors and the wealthy?

From Paul Clarke

Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Jenny, I'm not quite sure what your point is... do you want a branch of Poundland or maybe a small Primark so less affluent people have a choice?

There is a pretty informed debate about the merits or otherwise of our shops on another thread which you might find helpful.

But I think you miss the point that - for better or worse - this is a town that had a high percentage of commuters so the demographic has changed. Hence the new estate agent.

You also don't seem to accept that our main 'industry' is tourism so it's not a shock that brands like Fatface will consider setting up here.

That new book about Hebden by a local makes the point that the town has always been changing and to me this is just the latest cycle.

From Jenny B

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Paul - does the message body say I want cheap shops?

Why would you think I or anyone else would prefer Poundland?

Are you insinuating that I can't afford Fatface products?

I agree that I would not pay the £200 for a raincoat on offer in the new outdoor shop, but that is my choice.

Not all those who comment on the high prices are poor.

So to clarify for you......

The post is an observation, not even an opinion really. it asks several questions. Try not to jump down everyone's throat who you decide to disagree with, before you read what they are saying. After all you agree that you don't quite see my point?

Well my point was to seek views not have my 'perceived' views shot down so quickly!

From Dave R

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Paul Clarke - Once again, you take any post that questions change as criticism.

Is the post from Jenny B not simply asking; 'Is this the changing face of Hebden Bridge" Whilst not actually proffering a campaign to open a glut of cheap shops?

Having looked in the new outdoor shop over the weekend too, I agree that it is clearly catering for the affluent and the opening of an Estate Agents as Jenny says, signifies a similar trend.

I think this forum shows that we all accept albeit sometimes grudgingly, and tolerate changes.

To open a debate on this trend towards shops catering for the 'more affluent' as you would have it, does not deserve your patronising assumption that the poster wants a Poundland in Hebden Bridge.

From Paul Clarke

Sunday, 5 August 2012

Jenny, when someone picks you up on post on here it's a really lame response to say it was just an 'observation'...if you want to play that game then do a blog. You sought views and you got mine.

You asked questions I tried to answer them and try to find out exactly what you thought Hebden's retail ofer for the non affluent should look like. Once again I'm non the wiser other than you don't want Poundland (FYI...Poundland is ace for bargains).

I'm no idea if you can afford a £200 coat (although round here you're not short of choice in that range) but it would help if you defined what you think affluent is. Is it 20K, 30K, 40K or 50K? In the present climate - as the Condem coalition ruin the country - affluence is relative.

David, thanks for your insightful contribution but I wasn't taking it personally. I welcome change and given the number of empty units round town we need some sort of change.

I think it is patronising that only 'affluent; people can afford to shop in the expensive outdoor shop you are both fixated on. People on lower incomes might save up for a special item, I know I have. So I would also ask you define affluent?

I often think affluent is code for commuters who have the cheek to take advantage of the relatively cheap (compared to cities) house prices in Hebden. The bad news is we are here to stay.

From Graham Barker

Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Yet again we have an example of Paul Clarke dishing out waspish criticism but being unable to take it with good grace.

Perhaps you're the one who should wander off and start a blog, Paul. I'm sure a few people would find it very interesting.

From Paul Clarke

Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Graham, change the record . . . it is getting boring.

Why not flex your mighty intellect and join in the debate instead of rehashing the same old stuff?

I don't think anyone is surprised that I am not on of those woolly Hebden liberals who want to see both sides of the argument and end up sitting on the fence

I have a look at the arguments and express a view. You can engage with it or ignore me . . . don't mind either way. I don't think anyone thinks I can't take it. I get lots of flak which is part of joining threads but I'm certainly not going to passively roll over.

I have nothing but contempt for blogging as who wants to hear what I had for breakfast or when I went to the loo.

From JennyB

Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Paul I am certainly not 'fixated' on the outdoor shop, simply using it as an example of the rise in shops selling higher price ranged goods. I am sure they do sell other things than coats, and it would be unfair of me to assume that you or others cannot afford to shop there.

How affluent is affluent you ask? Obviously that cannot be defined by any one person. To me maybe a household income of £50k would be affluent, to others that may be peanuts.

Poundland is indeed good for bargains; if you dont mind accepting that your £1 is in the majority of cases, paying for cheap imports. However, because their stores are usually quite large and I don't see a suitable space in the town for them as yet.

From Susan Quick

Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Andrew I don't think people are scared of change, but the type of change. Change is a critical part of development. But we don't want to lose the uniqueness of Hebden Bridge, its quirkiness. I came here for a weekend in 1993 - I never left. Despite being a Southerner I fell in love with the friendly openess, meeting people I had last seen in Africa. African bands at the Trades Club. Festivals galore. Artists, poets, writers, musicians...... all in this tiny beautiful town. So much creativity echoing from the hillsides. That's what we're afraid of losing: we fear creative genius being replaced by commuter belt syndrome.

Would all correspondents please keep their comments to the issue being discussed and try to refrain from attacking or insulting other correspondents. Thank you - Ed