Ryburne

Share this page

EditRegion10

Small ads

Roadworks

From Julie Rose Clark

Tuesday, 9 February 2016

What are the seemingly pointless roadworks/ hold ups on the way out of Hebden to Mytholmroyd exactly for? I think the traffic lights need taking down. No work seems to being done apart from a guy sitting in a van on a iPad?

From F Minto

Tuesday, 9 February 2016

I understand that the main road between Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd has suffered subsistance, so its not safe to go on that part of the road in case it collapses. I would like to know what is being planned as it is a major trunk road and a significant sign that we are still restricted by the floods. Very worrying and no information provided.

From Tom Cadbury

Tuesday, 9 February 2016

After the Boxing Day flood a long crack appeared in the westbound side. The traffic lights are keep the traffic away from the crack so the road doesn't collapse into the canal while the highways people work out what to do. BTW the white line along the edge above the canal is to keep heavy vehicles away from the edge so the road must already have been in a weekend state.

From Steve Sweeney

Wednesday, 10 February 2016

As outlined, the road suffered damage during the flood. The man in the van is monitoring the censors in the road to ascertain the level of movement due to the subsidence. This could be a major infrastructure problem both in terms of cost of repair and in terms of transport as it is the only low level east west road as can be seen when the M62 is closed.

A number of roads collapsed some weeks after the 2012 floods as the land dried out.

From Adrian Crowther

Thursday, 11 February 2016

Although this page doesn't seem to have been updated for a while, there is information regarding the A646 roadworks (and other affected structures) here

From Adrian Riley

Monday, 15 February 2016

I wrote the following on the HebWeb a year ago in a thread about parking on this stretch of road, "About 20 years ago all this length had test boring machines sampling soil stability on the canal edge of road. Following this the white line appeared, not for a cycle lane (which isn't wide enough to function as one) but to keep heavy vehicles away from what is potentially an unstable edge."

The soil results from the pile driving all along this road edge obviously worried the Council back then. But I would have thought 20 years was long enough to have plans prepared for this predictable event.

From Jane T

Friday, 27 May 2016

Does anyone have any idea what progress has been made on the road between Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd? I am aware it was a serious and complex structural engineering problem but it has been five months now. I thought perhaps they were waiting for a new financial year or the release of central government flood recovery funds, but still no clear signs of any developments.

Any information appreciated to offset the misery of sitting in the jams!

From Mark H

Sunday, 29 May 2016

I find it useful and calming to reflect that I'm not stuck in a traffic jam - I'm causing the jam.

Not just little old me and my van; there's the water and sewage I need, the gas, electricity and any amount of bandwidth so out come the cones and temporary lights and up comes the tarmac once again.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone.

From Adrian Crowther

Sunday, 29 May 2016

I emailed the council regarding the roadworks a week or two back and received the following response:

Mr Crowther,

Further to your enquiry, the 60m section of carriageway under traffic light control is going to be supported with a king pin retaining wall. This is basically a buried fence; the posts are driven piles knocked in with a large piling rig and then a section of the embankment on the canal side of the piles will be dug out so that the concrete 'fence panels' can be fixed between the posts. The embankment will then be reinstated and planted with some appropriate trees/vegetation.

The existing kerb line will be replaced with a Trief vehicle containment kerb backed with about 600mm of concrete. This will also replace the existing safety barrier. Finally a wooden post and rail fence will the erected at the top of the embankment.

It is likely that this work will be extended a further 100m or so towards Hebden Bridge. This length of embankment has very similar ground conditions to the section that has moved but at the moment there are no plans to extend any further than this towards Hebden Bridge. This additional 100m will be treated in the same way with the existing trees removed prior to the piling work.

The designs are complete but the procurement process is not so I cannot tell you when the work will start although I hope that it will be completed within 4 months.

It is the view of our geotechnical engineers that the closed lane should not be reopened until the works are complete and there is evidence that the slope is still moving as the crack, which had been sealed, has opened up again. The scheme has been designed so that it can be built adjacent to single lane working under the existing traffic light control, so at least there should be no requirement to close the road altogether.

Kind regards
Highways Information

From J Thomas

Monday, 30 May 2016

Thanks so much for the update Adrian. It's helpful to know what's happening and good news that plans are now in place.