Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Disabled access on canal towpath

From Bob Deacon

Friday, 2 December 2016

The Rochdale Canal towpath from Sowerby Bridge to Todmorden is going to be improved by "City Connect". Their plans are currently out for consultation - see here

The surfaces will be upgraded to the standard of the recently improved section alongside Calder Holme Park. The intention is to "support all users of the canal towpath". However no consideration seems to have been given to wheel chair access over the weirs where the canal over-spills into the river. The solution of a glass ramp over the weir which conserves the view of the historic weirs seems not to have been considered. I suggest this is an issue for the newly formed access group in the town. There is a stakeholder group called PeopleofCityConnect group. Contact Emma.parkin@westyorks-ca.gov.uk

From Andy M

Saturday, 3 December 2016

This needs to be challenged under the Equalities Act 2010. There's little point in the upgrade if then nothing is done about the barriers that will make the route fragmented. (There are 3 between Hebden and Todmorden and 1 between Hebden and Luddenfoot I think?)

From Renny O

The see here link takes you to the city connect site and you can comment on the maps by clicking on the 'Leave Comment' button in the bottom left. I suggest we do! To comment direct go to: cityconnect@westyorks-ca.gov.uk.

From Susan Quick

I live in front of Stubbing Wharf pub. I can only walk along the towpath in the Hebden direction. The problem is more than the overspill; the path becomes very narrow so you have to put one foot directly in front of the other with nothing to hold on to; which means that even for those of us who don't use a wheelchair it is very difficult, particularly if you have poor balance. Yes a ramp which maintains the view would be perfect.

Where was the information posted about the 3 public consultations? They have all finished. How about a public consultation which consults the public? I walk along the towpath daily; there were no notices. Nothing in the paper. Nothing anywhere that I could see.

From Myra James

Sunday, 4 December 2016

The third of these consultations, scheduled for last Friday in Todmorden, was cancelled, but will be re-arranged. To be updated, sign up to People of City Connect. Details are elsewhere in this thread.