Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Visiting local 'sights'

From Kerry McQuade

Thursday, 24 August 2017

Thanks to Mike Prior for pointing out some of the interesting cultural sights close to Hebden Bridge. I hadn't heard of all of them. (See One Hour from Hebden Bridge)

By the way, they're all accessible by public transport (some with a bit of planning, to be sure). So leave the car, if you have one, at home and enjoy the journey as well as the destination!

From Andy G

Friday, 25 August 2017

I too enjoyed Michael Prior's piece encouraging local residents to visit nearby attractions although, like Kerry in the previous post, I was surprised that he advocated driving, rather than the use of public transport, to visit them - especially as he is a member of the local Green Party.

I could suggest several other places of interest within an hour's journey of Hebden Bridge which are well worth visiting, including the Brontë Parsonage Museum at Haworth, the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, the Banksfield Museum and Piece Hall in Halifax and the  excellent municipal art galleries in Accrington, Blackburn and Brighouse. 

From Michael Prior

Wednesday, 30 August 2017

Thank you for these comments but I wish that the places I mention were easily accessible by public transport particularly at the weekend when, as we know, our local bus services shrink close to zero.

Most of the websites referenced do give some help though one does, rather despairingly, refer to a 30 minute walk after being dropped by the bus.

One place which does not provide help with public transport on its website is Shibden Hall so perhaps I could make a plea to Calderdale Council to run a shuttle bus to the park from Halifax bus station at the weekend. The park is very popular with families and getting there on a bus with children is difficult.

One point I did not mention and should have done is the way in which all these places are made memorable by the wonderful volunteers who staff them. Ask a question and it is often a long time before one can tear oneself away to go to the next room. Also the way in which children's activities are often a feature.

From Martin C

Monday, 4 September 2017

What? Access to the Shibden Estate via the pedestrian entrance on Old Godley Lane is a minute's walk from bus stops on the main road. Alternatively its a short walk up Red Beck Road from Shibden Cross. As Calderdale's website says -

"Shibden Estate is located on the A58 Leeds / Bradford Road (Godley Lane), to the east of Halifax town centre.

It is accessible by bus numbers 681, 682, 548, 549, 509, 534, 227, 508, 226 from the Halifax, Bradford, Brighouse, Huddersfield and Leeds bus stations."

From Michael Prior

Tuesday, 5 September 2017

Martin C. is correct about the information in the website for Shibden Estate but the website given for Shibden Hall which is in the article has no mention of public transport. I think I would query the "one minute walk" particularly with a family. Overall, I still think a specific shuttle bus in summer would help the families who flock to the park.

From Martin C

Friday, 8 September 2017

Mike, I hardly think that the inadequacies of the particular website that you have chosen to specify justifies Council spending on a shuttle bus. I suggest that it is within most peoples capabilities to type "Shibden bus" into a search engine.

I am a little surprised that you have chosen to query my statement of a one minute walk, when you were apparently unaware of pedestrian entrances. We have taken our family to Shibden several times using public transport, precisely because there is absolutely no need whatsover for the car.

Here is a Streetview image of the pedestrian entrance to Shibden with westbound bus stop in the background. It is a walk of about 50metres. You can also see the Pelican crossing allowing people arriving on buses from Halifax to cross the road safely. In fact the Council have already provided rather more appropriate investment than an infrequent shuttle bus.