Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Drinking water smell

From Ms. P. Finch

Tuesday, 9 January 2018

Our water has smelt of a swimming pool / chlorine (even a small jug full) for a month. There must be a higher bacterial level to treat or has Yorkshire Water increased its dosage/ parts per million? I thought bacterial levels were lower in cold weather, so why the higher dosage now.  

From Gary W

Wednesday, 10 January 2018

I've had this problem on and off too. I've solved it by using a water filter (Wilko seems to be cheapest). It does cost a pound or two each month to buy replacement filters (and a small one-off cost of buying the jug) but it's well worth it. No more swimming pool smell and much tastier drinking water/ tea/ coffee etc and far better than buying bottled water.  Here's what I use.

From Ms. P. Finch

I've now been told by Yorkshire Water that chlorine smells stronger  in cold weather as it is not having to 'work so hard' /fight bacteria and so hangs around longer. 

This link (from another water company) gives more detail.

If there were works on pipes going on, then the chlorine level might be increased, but residents would be told. People situated nearer to the point of treatment may also experience a stronger smell.

From Adrian Riley

Many may not realise water is no longer supplied from the reservoirs in the upper valley. It is pumped up the valley from elsewhere in Yorkshire. That is why we now get more scaling in the pipes. 

What happened with Fluoridation. Is the potable water now treated with it?

From Ms. P. Finch

Thursday, 11 January 2018

I was told fluoridation is not used. The water is treated at all the main water 'asset' points up the valley. Our asset point (the reservoir) is tested every Friday and treated as necessary.