Discussion Forum

Where are the classical CDs?

Posted by Rev Tony Buglass
Saturday, March 18, 2006

My wife has just returned from a shopping trip to Halifax. One of her relatives has gone into hospital in the south, and as he's a great classical music lover, she thought she'd send him some CDs to while away the hours. Now, I noticed some months ago that W H Smiths had stopped selling classical music CDs. A shop over the road had some, but Margi said they had very few this morning.

Are we the only classical music lovers in Calderdale? Do I really have to go to Leeds or Manchester, or rely on Amazon.co.uk? I'd love to shop locally, but I can't find classical music CDs anywhere.

Someone come to our recue, please, and tell me that there is a music shop somewhere nearby that I've not found yet. I really can't believe there isn't one. Surely not...

Posted by Christine
Monday, March 20, 2006

If you go into the music shop on Market Street, Muse Music he will order CDs you want. He has done for me in the past with no problems and he gets them quite quick. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Thanks, Christine, I'm sure he would order them for me, but I can do that myself on Amazon. There is something about being able to browse - or in this case, because Margi wanted some music to buy and take with her, to pick up immediately over the counter. Now, since W H Smiths have removed their classical CDs, and their neighbour looks like doing the same, does that mean those who don't do internet shopping have got to travel to Leeds or Manchester for their music?

Posted by Christine
Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I noticed today that the bookshop on Bridge Gate was advertising in it's window it sells classical music. Hope this helps.

Posted by Jan
Wednesday, March 22, 2006

As far as I know The Book Case on Market Street has a selection of classical CDs.

Saturday, April 1, 2006

Thank you, all! I've been into both bookshops, and found the CDs, and had a browse. Now I know where to go when I've got some money . . .