Discussion Forum
No parking and
illuminated bus shelters

Posted by Lesley Jones
Monday, 26 February 2007

I have been watching various posts and have now given in to the urge to comment.

Grange Dene parking - I agree that people should not abuse the facility, I agree that the Medical practice should be able to take action to prevent long stay abuse of the car park and that they should not have to pay for fancy barriers. I agree that the signage is clear. But surely common sense should prevail and allow a visitor to the doctor/dentist/optician, to nip if required to the couple of shops that are literally only a matter of yards away. The alternative being to drive away and repark elsewhere with the associated environmentally unfriendly implications. If the clampers are sat observing the car park constantly as it seems they are, then they will know who is truly abusing the facility and who isn't. But that sounds too easy. Incidentally, has anyone ever seen that car park full lately?

Co-op car parking - like the Medical Practice, the Co-op are right to take action to reduce selfish parking for the benefit of customers. I think an hour and a half is more than sufficent to enable a trip round the Co-op followed by a quick jog to say the Post office or Holts. (What a shame Calderdale can't give shoppers the same realistic length of time in the centre of town).

However, if it is really true that taxis cannot return to pick up a fare within a four hour period then the world has truly gone mad. Surely the answer is for the registration numbers of the local taxis to be provided to the company who can ensure that they are not targetted. After all taxis are not parking for the hour and a half allowed either. But again - this is probably too easy. As is allowing parking when the shop is shut.

P.S. Mr Marascalco - I take it you don't drive and live within easy walking distance of everything you could ever need?!

Illuminated bus shelters - AJ's signage, the orange cobbles and the wavy steps are now to be joined by an illuminated bus stop carrying advertising material? I fear our traditional Yorkshire mill town is no more. Although I have lived here all my life I don't want to live in a time warp but neither do I want to live in the centre of Leeds, Manchester or, heaven forbid, Blackpool.

From Andy M
Tuesday, 27 February 2007

I agree with you over the parking issues - common sense.

But what is a traditional mill town, out of interest? Dirty, dark and impoverished with desiese and social inequality. Or maybe at the cutting edge of technological and design change - Saltaire for example, as was.

Maybe a bit of both.

Posted by Johnny Marascalco
Tuesday, 27 February 2007

Bit confusing this new thread business. How am I to keep up? :-)

Whether I am a driver and live within walking distance of everything I could ever need (is anyone that fortunate?) is none of your concern, and completely irrelevant.

Here's an alternative to the alternative suggestion that Lesley made. If you want to do some shopping and visit the Medical Centre, park elsewhere and walk the few extra yards instead. No additional environmental impact, no risk of clamping. Problem solved. Feeling too ill to walk a few extra yards? Then surely you won't be well enough to do any shopping.

Posted by Lou
Wednesday, 28 February 2007

Quote: Bit confusing this new thread business. How am I to keep up? :-) Unquote.

Answer: Difficult for you I know, poor thing.

Quote: Whether I am a driver and live within walking distance of everything I could ever need is none of your concern, and completely irrelevant. Unquote.

Answer: Gosh now we're getting stroppy Johnny!

Quote: Here's an alternative to the alternative suggestion that Lesley made. If you want to do some shopping and visit the Medical Centre, park elsewhere and walk the few extra yards instead. No additional environmental impact, no risk of clamping. Unquote.

Answer: Alternative parking not only at the Community Centre but also at the top of the hill outside Hair World. Stretch those legs!

Quote: Feeling too ill to walk a few extra yards? Then surely you won't be well enough to do any shopping. Unquote.

Perhaps you have not realised that not everyone is at death's door when they visit the Health Centre.

Thursday, 1 March 2007

Quote: Difficult for you I know, poor thing. Unquote.

Answer: Yes, but clearly not as difficult as justifying the arguments of those complaining.

Quote:Gosh now we're getting stroppy Johnny!Unquote.

Answer: It's a statement of fact. And anyway, it seem that few people are capable of understanding that I can respond to posts about me without becoming emotional or upset about it.

Quote: Alternative parking not only at the Community Centre but also at the top of the hill outside Hair World. Stretch those legs! Unquote.

Answer: I'm guessing this is sarcasm, but to be honest, I haven't a clue how this can be an answer, when I did not ask a question.

Quote: Perhaps you have not realised that not everyone is at death's door when they visit the Health Centre. Unquote.

Answer: You know, I've read it and re-read it, and I still fail to see where I stated that they were.

Posted by Tom Standfield
Thursday, 1 March 2007

Johnny says "It seem that few people are capable of understanding that I can respond to posts about me without becoming emotional or upset about it."

Johnny, I would be surprised if anyone who has read your messages, had the slightest doubt about your emotional capacity. Anyone who can coldly say "Feeling too ill to walk a few extra yards? Then surely you won't be well enough to do any shopping," obviously lacks any sense of feeling or empathy.

So now it is confirmed you are without emotions, I rather suspect you don't have a body either. Come on Johnny, admit it, you don't really exist, do you?

Posted by Lou
Thursday, 1 March 2007

Oh Johnny, Johnny, Johnny - you have disappointed me now. Sarcastic? Moi? Non. Tres non!

I hold you in the highest regard and know that you are always right, whatever you say.

Thursday, 1 March 2007

Sticks and stones Tom, sticks and stones...

To paraphrase Descartes "I post, therefore I am" Tom, and you have confirmed nothing other than your weak-mindedness. Because I am able to separate emotion from intellect for the purpose of sensible discussion, does not mean I am emotionless or lack empathy. The quote is clearly rhetorical, and designed to underminet the suggestions that very ill people are being forced to walk miles for fear of clamping, or that people using the MC who also wish to visit the shops are unable to do so. But you carry on having a go at me personally if you wish, it does nothing to impress, discourage, or upset me.

Well, it is the lowest form of wit Lou. And what exactly does "tres non" mean? And I don't presume to be right, but not a single person has proven otherwise. Puerile mockery appears to be the only response to my posts. And this is a pathetic attempt to discredit me, however it does nothing to discount the force of my argument.

(The Hebden Bridge Web would ask all correspondents to follow the forum guidelines, or messages may not be posted. Thanks - webmaster)