Discussion Forum
Car Parking in Mytholmroyd

From Nicola CV
Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Mytholmroyd supports a rural community. As such it is inevitable that people will use cars when shopping or visiting the village. The parking restrictions in Hebden Bridge have caused a decline in people using that town and Mytholmroyd has benefitted from this, picking up the trade.

However, Mytholmroyd seems to be following the same route as Hebden Bridge. It is a great shame that the parking restrictions that are being put in place in Mytholmroyd will encourage people back to the supermarkets in Halifax and start the decline of the local shops once more. If people can't get to shop how can we expect them to support the local community?

Please do not penalise visitors to Mytholmroyd, we should be encouraging them.

From Joseph S
Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Are you really sure that there has been a decline in people shopping in Hebden? It always seems pretty busy here.

From Tim N
Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Don't worry too much - oil production is forcast to peak in four years time - it will then become too expensive to drive everywhere and we will all be walking again. Expect to be mainly eating mutton and dock pudding.

From Cllr Joanna Beacroft Mitchell
Wednesday, 20 June 2007

Hi Nicola, I'm not clear what restrictions you are refering to. Obviously there is an ongoing issue with the doctors surgery but other than this I'm not sure what you mean.

The loss of St Michaels car park is a pain but it is temporary until the work on the hall is finished (approx 12 weeks now) and the Community Centre have recently opened their car park to use by anyone (please contribute to the honesty box to enable them to improve the road surface). The station car park is just as it ever was (far from perfect but usable).

I'm not a driver so please excuse my ignorance but where are new restrictions in place ?