Discussion Forum
Appealing for a place at Calder High

From Katherine T
Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Does anyone have any inside information about how to successfully appeal for a place at an oversubscribed school? We live well within the catchment area, we were just too witless to fill out the forms on time. Our daughter has been offered a place at Sowerby Bridge High, but we would rather she went to Calder High. Any suggestions?

Posted by Cllr. John Beacroft-Mitchell
Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Katherine

Your best bet is to speak to your Calderdale ward councillors who have a lot of experience in this area.

Please feel free to email/call me with your contact details and I can pass them on to one of your councillors.

Posted by Ian M
Wednesday, 18 July 2007

To be honest I don't see why you should be given insider information (I assume you are hoping someone knows someone who knows someone!) If the school is already oversubscribed then you gaining a place on appeal is unfair on the people who made the effort to get their application in on time.

The person I feel sorry for is your daughter who may be disadvantaged through your inaction

Posted by Joseph S
Thursday, 19 July 2007

Oooh Ian that's mean. If you can't say something nice best not say anything at all.

Posted by Adam B
Thursday, 19 July 2007

Ian,

"(I assume you are hoping someone knows someone who knows someone!)".

Assumptions are the mother of all... errm... errors ;-)

Katherine clearly asked for "suggestions" not contacts and it is very unfair to assume that someone is being dishonest with absolutely no evidence - particularly if you're then going to start making accusations.

I think I second Joseph in this case.

From Cllr Janet Battye
Saturday, 21 July 2007

My advice to Katherine is to go back to the Admissions Process which has a late application part to it and have a go. You can get into this through the Calderdale MBC website. You never know what the chance of a place might be until you've tried the normal process. Situations do change so there might be a possibility !

Posted by Graham Barker
Wednesday, 25 July 2007

I'm standing up for Ian M. If the problem was caused by the parents not applying in time, it does seem a little out of order to be asking for help to beat the system.