Discussion Forum
Smoking ban is good

From Giles M
Sunday, 9 September 2007

I have been enjoying having the odd cig outside the pub and meeting like-minded people striking up a conversation and a match at the same time. Over the last few months I have made many new friends through our pretty filthy habit...its also a great way to get rid of non-smoking bores by excusing yourself from conversations under the premise of weakly needing to get your nicotine fix. I think the ban is a winner for all!!

However.... I do not own a car and think now we have cracked the smoking issue, we should look at all polluters...not just ones that require little/no effort. I think breathing in the tiny particles produced by the combustion engine is extremely offensive/damaging to my health. I cannot even go out of my house without being forced to breath them in. If you are worried about the effects of passive smoking you should be very scared of what your car kicks out...

Posted by Andy M
Monday, 10 September 2007

So Giles, are you advocating more pedestrianisation? ;-)

Posted by Andy M
Tuesday, 11 September 2007

So it looks like the facts speak for themselves:

17% drop in heart attacks in Scotland since the ban came into place.

14% drop in heart attacks in Ireland since the ban came into place. (BMA figures)

Bar workers are also reporting fewer breathing problems, less irritation of the eyes and throat since the ban came into force.

Also Following analysis of saliva, non smoking bar workers exposure to nicotine has fallen by 89% (Aberdeen University figures)