Discussion Forum
Jamie Oliver commercial

From Dave H
Monday, 26 October 2009

Can I first make clear personally I think the fact that Hebden Bridge is being used for commercial shoots is in general a good thing. Allowing a major superstore to do it is of questionable judgement, but that is not my point.

I am from an advertising background, so know a little about these things, and would like to know about the location fees that were paid for the privilege of pretty much taking over the centre of town for the best part of 24 hours.

• Who negotiated and agreed these fees?
  • How much was that fee?
  • What knowledge did that person or committee have to make the best possible financial deal for the town?
  • To whom has the money been paid?
  • How will that money be distributed / used?

Rumour has it that some shops in Hebden received 'compensation' for the inconvenience - if so, which shops, and how much?

Again, I am certainly not against film or even commercial shoots taking place in this area (it certainly created some excitement in town), but it is important that we are not exploited.

From Andrew McCall
Tuesday, 27 October 2009

According to the HB Times the film company made a donation to the town's business association. They don't say how much.

I'd assume they'd also need to get permission from the council to use all the space they did and for the police time - and guess they'd have to pay something for that too.

All told the town is probably a few thousand pounds better off in cash and custom. For my part I say keep their stores out but we should welcome their money.

From Tim Nickerson
Saturday, 31 October 2009

I was astounded that the local council allowed Sainsburys to film in Hebden. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is the last you will see of the supermarkets trying to buy their way into Hebden, there are one or two potencial sites recently knocked down or to be knocked down that they could creep in, be vigilant, support local markets and business so there is no need for the public to go shopping elsewhere.

From Joel B
Sunday, 1 November 2009

I wonder how many of the people who are opposed to having a supermarket in Hebden Bridge have lived here for a considerable amount of time or recently moved here?

I have lived here all my life (31 years) and would gladly welcome a large supermarket chain to set up shop in the town. The current supermarkets are extremely expensive, the nearest large supermarkets being a cars drive away, It would be so much easier if we had a sainsbury's, asda etc somewhere in the town. Even if they bought the co-op supermarket in Market Street !

I can understand people saying that it will spoil the towns image but times change we need to get out of the dark ages and move forward with the rest of the country. One small supermarked would not ruin the town. People would still use the smaller shops, as would the tourists.