Discussion Forum
Getting Into Parliament

From Tim Swift
Sunday, 22 November 2009

Quote from your news section: "Tory MP candidate bids £100 for trip to Parliament - At the White Ribbon Campaign auction yesterday evening, Craig Whittaker, prospective Tory candidate successfully bid for a meal for two and a tour of Parliament, which was offered by our current Labour MP Chris McCafferty. The White Ribbon Campaign seeks to end violence by men against women".

He's obviously not as confident of winning as he pretends, and realises this is the only way he's going to get to Westminster!

From Ron Taylor
Sunday, 22 November 2009

I am afraid that Tim Swift's rather feeble joke cannot disguise the fact that the Tories will win this seat. Not only will there be a national swing to the Tories but the Labour candidate seems to have disappeared. Where is the Labour campaign ? Does Steph Booth have nothing to say which might interest voters? Her campaign website ends in August.

From Matt Black
Tuesday, 24 November 2009

Message to Ron Taylor: Steph Booth's updated campaign website is here.

Has anyone seen Craig Whittaker's website?

From Ron Taylor
Wednesday, 25 November 2009

Thanks Matt for alerting me to the recently updated website. However, I don't see that a cut-and-paste job of bits from the local press and managed 'news' from Labour HQ can amount to a campaign. How about a few public meetings at which Steph can let the electorate know her views on vital issues, if she has any ? Perhaps some walkabouts to meet the voters or even some leaflets through our doors? Come on, Steph, we need more than just a website that few will look at.

From Graham Barker

Isn’t this Steph Booth’s third website in nine months? It might help if she took down Mk 1 and 2, or linked through from them to Mk 3.

I agree with Ron though that it’s lacklustre; and I also agree that Labour’s prospects in the Upper Valley are now virtually nil. Quite apart from the combination of G Brown Effect and That Which Cannot Be Discussed, a recent Times Online article reported:

‘Labour’s cash-strapped party machine is quietly abandoning up to 60 vulnerable seats to divert resources to defend constituencies in its heartlands, according to MPs.’

By ‘vulnerable’ they apparently mean seats with majorities under 3000. In 2005, Chris McCafferty’s majority was 1367. Adversity might bring out the best in a quality candidate, but Steph Booth’s low profile seems consistent with a decision merely to go through the motions.

All this must be galling for Chris McCafferty, who has been a good MP and doesn’t deserve to see her seat handed to the Tories on a plate.

I won’t be voting for Craig Whittaker in 2010 but it seems only civil to wish him luck in Westminster, and hope he does a decent job of representing us.

From Freddie Fielden

I quote from 'About Steph Booth', taken from the 'New' website, "Until last year I worked for a small charity that set up microfinance projects in the developing world. I am now employed by an organisation working with young people who have been failed by mainstream education."

This so called 'New' website is out of date purely by this comment. If you'd all care to recall Hebweb Forum, 'Labour Selection Process - April 2009' - Wasn't she embroiled in some sort of libel action with the 'organisation working with young people who have been failed by mainstream education'?

I thought she was unemployed now?

From Sue Mee
Friday, 27 November 2009

Tim, you've missed the point. The other candidates were there at an incredibly worthwhile charity do. Where was Steph when we were supporting the campaign to stop violence against women? Where is Steph?

Fantastic web-site. I quote,

"I have decided to put my name forward now because it’s precisely when the party seems to be struggling that those of us who are passionate about Labour’s values should step forward.

"I have decided to put my name forward now because it’s precisely when the party seems to be struggling that those of us who are passionate about Labour’s values should step forward"

Yup...real attention to detail Steph.

From Ron Taylor
Saturday, 28 November 2009

It does seem that Matt is glossing over Steph's inadequacies as a serious candidate.