Ryburne

Small ads

Asbestos Memorial

From Julie C

Sunday, 24 March 2013

The commemorative plaque in memory of those harmed by exposure to asbestos, will be unveiled at the Memorial Gardens at Pecket Well, Wadsworth on Saturday 13th April, at 11am.

The planting of the snowdrops has been delayed by the terrible weather, and is now planned for the Saturday before.

Please tell friends, neighbours and families about the Memorial.

If you come on the Saturday or at any other time, please be aware that there is no parking nearby, but there are plenty of buses up to Pecket, the 500 Keighley bus, the 593, the A and B. You will find the Memorial and snowdrop garden, just behind the old red phone box.

From Jenny Lynn

Friday, 5 April 2013

Really pleased to hear about asbestos memorial garden - can't make it on 13th April, but will certainly get along to see it one of these days. My brother in law Dave Jones was exposed to asbestos as an apprentice electrician in Portsmouth naval dockyard 40 years ago - and died from mesothelioma 2 years ago this month.

From George Murphy

Saturday, 13 April 2013

Congratulations to all those who have been involved in the campaign to mark the community's recognition of the suffering and distress caused by this ongoing tragedy. Thanks to HebWeb for providing a forum for letters and to the local councillors who reacted to the request from Claire M. I hope this small memorial will provide some slight solace to the families involved.

From Jenny B

Sunday, 14 April 2013

As someone who lost a close relative (my grandfather) to asbestosis, I think that he would appreciate this formal acknowledgement and that there is a place away from Acre Mill for us to sit and remember him and other people affected by this dreadful disease.

I personally have always avoided the mill site, in fact if I pass on the bus I avert my eyes. My mum avoids Old Town altogether.

He was a good and honest man. robbed of the chance to see his grandchildren grow up.

35 years after his death, I am pleased that others may now too spend just a few minutes reading the memorial, and thinking about all of the victims of asbestosis.

From Julie C

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Many thanks to all those involved in making the Memorial and Snowdrop Garden happen, especially to one of the relatives who first posted the possibility here. Thanks to Wadsworth Environment Group for the Snowdrop planting and Wadsworth Parish Council who paid for the plaque. By the way, I think this Forum is now an essential element in the life and trials of our Community, so thanks to Hebweb too.

From Joanathan Timbers

Sunday, 14 April 2013

It was a moving event, Julie, and I'm glad I went there from Hebden Royd Town Council with my family, so they will never forget about 'the greatest industrial disaster in British history'.

Afterwards, I came across a couple who missed the dedication, a man and a woman. I don't know where they were from, but the man opened up and told me that his Dad worked at Cape for six months when he was 17 and thought he's escaped the effects until he retired, when he developed the cancer and died.

I also noted what was said about the importance of ensuring Calderdale keep accurate records of asbestos dumps in and around Old Town, Peckett Well and Mytholmroyd. Thank you.

See also:

HebWeb News: Commemorative Memorial to those harmed by exposure to Asbestos (13 April 2013)

HebWeb Forum: Acre Mill Memorial

HebWeb Feature on Acre Mill