Ryburne

Share this page

EditRegion10

Small ads

Craig Whittaker

From Ann Libby

Tuesday, 5 January 2016

I wanted to say that I too am disgusted by Mr Whittaker's very low profile during the terrible time Hebden Bridge has experienced lately . We hear very little of him in the House of Commons but I did hope the floods would have stirred him to emerge from wherever he is.

From David Thompson

Wednesday, 6 January 2016

I hope that you are not being unfair to Mr Whittaker on this occasion.
On 29th December 2015, Anthony Rae posted on this forum, "Just (4.15pm Tuesday) bumped into Flooding Minister Rory Stewart – as he was about to shown round the Town Hall clean-up coordination operation by MP Craig Whittaker..."

So there is some evidence of Mr Whittaker's concern for the residents coping with the flooding.

David Thompson

From Andy M

Not entirely fair Ann. Craig has immersed (sorry) himself in producing a steady stream (sorry again), if not torrent (and again), of tweets and facebook posts over the crisis period. So many in fact that admirers on FB observed that he was 'getting out and getting his hands dirty' and was 'clearly living it'.

He also took some time off from tweeting and posting to come out and have a brief look himself when the minister Rory Stewart paid a brief visit.

From Chris B

I'm trying not to spend half of my life posting on Hebweb, honest, but I must add something to this thread.

Whittaker's Twitter and Facebook posts (or whatever you call them) have been trite and not particularly useful, especially when compared with the Flood Support Facebook posts. No offers of help, no sympathy.

His chums who talk about him getting his hands dirty aren't from around here, and probably have no idea what he has actually done.

His website contains a page of useful advice cut & pasted from Calderdale's website.

No doubt I will once again be accused of scoring cheap political points, but this isn't about his party - this is about him as an MP and his shameful attitude towards a large number of his constituents who are suffering so much.

From Paul Fielden

I realy should stay out of debating politics. I've learnt supporters of certain parties will support even when their candidates are in the wrong. Forgetting my advice here goes.

If my job was to help / support people in a certain area, eg, an MP during the disaster period I would be there clearing shops in the dark, ringing my boss on my tea break, saying get troops, speak to Cobra, if you get chance after York come have a look at us. We need help quick. Would speak to my pal at Rural and Fisheries, my other pal in charge of Environment and say you no chums maybe something we're sanctioning is causing this. Would not pop in while a senior minister comes down and be off again.

Doesn't mater who we vote for, you can't say he's really stepping up to the plate on this one. Labour MP for Halifax was in Parliament yesterday asking questions for help for everyone effected by these floods. I must have missed it when Craig was doing the same. Not good enough in my opinion.

From Paul Clarke

Please… it was bad enough that I was flooded without having to deal with Whittaker too… haven't I suffered enough?

From Anne H

I feel exactly the same as Paul about this. I watched PM Question Time today as one MP after another asked Cameron what he was going to do about the floods in Colston, Ribble Valley, Shipley, York.... Where was our MP? I assumed I'd missed him, but I don't think so.

Cameron's answer was the same to every question 'we are spending £40 million on flooding defences'. Am I the only one who thinks that £40 million is a drop in the ocean?

He talked about helping people get back into their homes, building walls and rebuilding bridges, but he never once mentioned prevention or alleviation, and somehow I doubt if Craig is going to be the one to bring it up.

From Anthony Rae

Thursday, 7 January 2016

In response to Paul Fielden's comments, the contributions of both Holly Lynch and Craig Whittaker to the House of Commons debate on flooding can be read here (at columns 374 and 375 respectively). I've posted extracts about the financial assistance provided and necessary on Calderdale Friends of the Earth Facebook page.

From Paul Fielden

Thursday, 7 January 2016

Thank you Anthony just read it. The part of thanking people and mentioning groups brilliant. Do you not agree that showing off about spending 30 million on flood defences is embarrassing when they don't work?

I lived in Hebden from birth to 26 where I then moved to Todmorden ten years ago.The river wall was built then and I was told it won't flood now. Every time another phase is complete I read figures of homes and businesses now protected. The defence has changed the way water gets in my house but it hasn't stopped it. 'Ive flooded 4 times. I don't recall it flooding round here before the past ten years. I am not blaming Craig for the flooding the poorly designed flood defence or the fact I was stupid enough to buy this house. Just his response. Thank you for the constant reminder we have wasted 30 million.

Yes I was being outspoken without reading the facts of what was said in Parliament. For that I apologise

From Andy M

Thursday, 7 January 2016

He towed the line as always: thanked people in retrospect, criticised the Environment Agency and was sycophantic to a tee.

Fair comments about Elland Bridge etc though - it is quite near his constituency office!