Ryburne

Share this page

EditRegion10

Small ads

Waites confectioners

From Robert Collins

Sunday, 14 February 2016

A much loved local business is closing its doors in the most heartbreaking of circumstances after being at the heart of the community for decades.

As someone who has lived here for 20 years I am dismayed to see page after page of people objecting to all manner of things, yet so few words of recognition here at the closure of one of the best of the "great little shops" we are supposed to cherish?

From Mark H

Sunday, 14 February 2016

I have lost count of the number of meat and potato pies I have enjoyed from Waites. I have never eaten a better pie and now I don't suppose I ever will.

I have a kiwi friend who visits regularly for his fix, usually filling a couple of cake boxes with pies for his freezer. He is from Christchurch, and I'm sure we all send good wishes to that city, damaged earlier today by earthquake almost exactly five years after their big one.

I'd like to send thanks and my very best wishes to all of the staff in Waites, both in Hebden and Mytholmroyd, and to mark the passing of possibly the last business to observe a Wakes holiday close down.

From Veronica Roberts

Sunday, 14 February 2016

Very sad to hear this shop is not re-opening.

We last went in Christmas Eve to get our mince pies. Will miss it for the best pies and my favorite cheese scones.

From Paul D

Sunday, 14 February 2016

Good Friday and the wait for tray after tray of hot cross buns to arrive. Closed for wakes. A total disregard for everything except their customers. Make a good cafe for tourists. Another nail in the town.

From David Tut

Monday, 15 February 2016

I for one and family and friends overseas will miss the end of our local pie shop which was a real community shop but now we have to look forward to a better and more prosperous Hebden for all the local shops despite the terrible floods we have had over the last few years.

So I just hope that the new people who take on the shop in the lovely centre of Hebden keep up to a standard of quality and not quantity no matter what type of shop it might become but please don't let it become another cafe or charity shop as we have enough of them to satisfy our needs.

From Jan Bridget

Monday, 15 February 2016

I was extremely saddened to learn Waites will not be re-opening. I will miss them. Their whimberry pies were the best! Good luck to the owners and staff and thanks.

From Bob Deacon

Wednesday, 17 February 2016

When this was announced on their Facebook page there were hundreds of similar sentiments expressed. I tried to make a more constructive one because Waites had indicated in the same annoucement that they had not yet decided whether the Mytholmroyd shop would reopen (and so by implication I thought as did others that there was still a chance that the bakery might still be rescued).

I made the point that a Hebden Bridge entrepreneur/ baker/ someone might suggest to Waites that he/she could reopen the Hebden Bridge shop with a kind of Waites franchise… agreeing to sell some of their loved products even if Waites themselves did not wish to retain two shops.

Unfortunately this met with a "don't interfere in what you don't understand" message from someone insisting the "family will decide". Their face book page has been taken down.

Obviously there must be a number of considerations we are not privy to and I dont want to complicate Waites decision making or upset family members but I still think this is all very sad. I think it is particularly sad that there seems no way in which a long standing and concerned loyal customer base can engage in an informed conversation with the owners.

From Graham Barker

Wednesday, 17 February 2016

I hate to spoil a good wake but Waites were a little on the pricey side, their produce was good but not outstanding and their habit of closing to suit themselves was not endearing. Their 'we're traditional' shtick was maybe wearing too thin in a town where businesses have to adapt to survive. It would be good to see a more enterprising version of Waites take over in what is a terrific position for a bread/cake/pie shop, but sentiment aside, will they really be missed for long?

From Mark H

Friday, 19 February 2016

Yes they will be missed.

Pricey? Get real. Try waking up every morning to make a range of consistently wonderful produce so as to meet the needs of tourist and local customers alike, to provide so many jobs and to beat off competition from all the other cafes selling bought in prepacked muffins claiming artisan heritage but knocked out at a couple of quid despite a week or longer shelflife.

Just remember to pick up some exceedingly good cakes next time you're clicking through to Ocado.

From Michael Murray Elder

Friday, 19 February 2016

I as an émigrĂ© who comes "home "a couple of times a year will also sadly miss Waites. But why is there always someone to pour a little unnecessary scorn. Great shop, somewhat eccentric in its approach but super products and if you didn't like the prices then you didn't have to buy.

From Michael Prior

Friday, 26 February 2016

Was Waites the only bakery in the UK not to open on Saturday? Eccentric opening? Let's be kind and say unusual.