Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Debris on corner of Commercial Street

From Lesley D Jones

Thursday, 11 August 2016

I wonder if any readers can cast light on the reason the debris at the bottom of Commercial Street is still there? It's been weeks now since what I assume was a road traffic accident caused the wall to spill over onto the pavement. We even have nature trying to take over now with a few weeds taking up residence. As well as being unsightly right at the entrance to town it is causing a bit of an obstruction.

From Julie C

Friday, 12 August 2016

I walked past the other day and wondered the same. It was a whacking great wagon that tried to turn left and got totally stuck.

I wondered if there was some kind of argument going on as to who should pay to fix the damage:-

1. The highways Department.
  2. Hebden Town Council.
  3. The folk who live closest to it.
  4. Or the owners of the truck that smashed the wall.

Kind of obvious I'd have thought! There are plenty of photos showing it stuck, somebody must have got the number plate. Maybe it's just inertia. Once it's fixed, how about a sign saying no left turn, much safer to go up Albert St.

From Ali Miles

Friday, 12 August 2016

I raised this with Highways 2 weeks ago and this is the reply I received on 2/8/16:

"Further to your enquiries regarding damage by a HGV to the wall at the junction of New Road and Commercial Street:

This wall is regularly damaged and as such consideration has been given by our Area Superintendant and Maintenance Engineer as to how this could be improved to provide future resilience. A revised design has now been issued to contractors which by way of the installation of a bell bollard will improve sight lines and provide protection to the wall from turning heavy good vehicles.

Works will be programmed in for a Sunday so as to reduce disruption and will be rechargeable to the haulage company concerned. I do not as yet have a from date but will keep you informed"

From Tim B

Tuesday, 16 August 2016

The Council are probably waiting for the lorry's insurance company to pay up.

From Ali Miles

Wednesday, 17 August 2016

I suggest Tim B reads the statement properly regarding reimbursement from the haulage company.

Today, Calder ward councillors have been told this:

"Further to yesterday's email, our Area Superintendent has been informed by the contractor that this repair has been scheduled for this Sunday 21/08/16."

From Tim B

Saturday, 3 September 2016

Well it's been fixed now, with a sturdy bollard too. Ali, your post hadn't been put up when I made my previous comment - it's good you were able to provide facts rather than speculation :-)

From Andy G

Thursday, 8 September 2016

I was pleased to see that the debris at the junction of Commercial Street and New Road has now been cleared and the wall repaired - although not in its original form.

Unfortunately, however, the landslip and wall collapse opposite the Old Manse on Sandy Gate - which happened nearly fourteen months ago - has still not been repaired and there is evidence that a futher section of wall could collapse imminently in the event of prolonged heavy rainfall. Judging by the obvious depression in the road surface alongside the new cracks in the wall, it could well take part of the road with it.