General election

From Ali Miles

Friday, 9 June 2017

Whittaker won by 609 votes.

Greens took 631 votes.

Hope you're proud of yourselves. 

From Chris Barnett

Friday, 9 June 2017

I can understand Ali's anger and frustration, but I think her ire would be better directed at people who voted Conservative. 

I'm very surprised that more non-Labour voters didn't vote for Rob Holden, which could have taken a lot of votes from Whittaker, who even by Tory standards is a pretty poor choice for an MP.

But don't worry - there will no doubt be another election very soon…

From Louis O

Friday, 9 June 2017

In all fairness to Ali, it wasn't the Conservatives that suggested a "Progessive Alliance" -  Hebweb 4th May 2017.

If Kiernan Turner (Green Party) was serious about his anti-Tory objective, he would have stood down before the election.

From David H

Friday, 9 June 2017

Ali, the Green Party proposed a deal with Labour in this constituency (see elsewhere on Hebweb) but were rebuffed.

I feel similar pain at the re-election of that non-entity but with collaboration it could have been different.

From Iain Harrison

Friday, 9 June 2017

Josh was asked to support PR in exchange for the Green candidate standing down. He declined the offer. So it was his decision.
He also failed to gain from the obvious popularity of Jeremy Corbyn by neglecting to make any mention of Corbyn in his general election literature.

In my view, one or the other of these decisions made differently might have got him the seat (both almost certainly would have), and that change might have meant that Jeremy Corbyn would be in a position to form a government.

These decisions were made by Josh, and no-one else it to blame for them.

From Tom J

Friday, 9 June 2017

I think Josh and his team should be congratulated on all their hard work, and for running such an effective campaign.

The real problem is that there are thousands and thousands and thousands of people who voted Conservative. Twenty six thousand, seven hundred and ninety people! In our constituency! How can that possibly be? People who are happy to lose the NHS, police officers, social services, free school meals and see the rich get continually richer. Unbelievable!

From Eleanor Land

Friday, 9 June 2017

The Labour Party in Calder Valley ran a positive and inclusive campaign during the election.  Craig Whittaker hid from voters and denied his record on voting against money for flooding.  I am genuinely baffled as to why so many people were fooled by this man again.   He will have learned nothing from this, it will be business as usual, ignoring the interests of residents and maxing out on the expenses.  I'm sad that people who backed other parties have allowed him to slip back in with a few hundred votes.  We may have another opportunity of another election I n the not too distant future, I'm hoping we'll finally see the back of this cynical opportunist.

From Paul D

Saturday, 10 June 2017

Ali is I suspect is a woman of conviction, so to blame a defeat for Labour on people voting on the basis their core values for their own party isn't really fair. I imagine that many Greens voted Labour hoping for the same outcome as she did. So please respect those who did not. These are people of conviction and we should respect and even celebrate that. We may need them to consider voting in a manner not wholly in line with their true convictions again - so respect the Greens please. 

From Tony Badall

Saturday, 10 June 2017

The national election results offer - dare one suggest? - some vague flickering of hope if not quite optimism.

However, at a local level I am saddened and dispirited by the re-election of Craig Whittaker as our representative in Westminster, particularly given his history of Party line adherence and indifferent support for local issues. Thus the war of attrition against powerless disabled people looks set to continue, with a system characterised by codified inhumane judgement, callous humiliation and financial impoverishment.

Battling chronic debilitating Post Polio Syndrome (PPS - the late effects of polio contracted as a child) which affects many aspects of daily life and ability to function, I could weep with frustration and anxiety.

From Eleanor Land

Sunday, 11 June 2017

I have just seen Craig Whittaker's video interview with the Huddersfield Examiner. He was so magnaminous in victory as usual.  He described the Labour and Independent Campaigns as vile.  

I am baffled as to how he would know about their campaigns as he spent his time hiding from his constituents and any chance of debating.  More Fake News from our very fake MP.

From Dave Gee

Sunday, 11 June 2017

The result was spectacular given that at start of campaign Labour were written off trailing hugely in the polls and allegedly facing a landslide to the Tories!

During the campaign every brick in the house was hurled at Corbyn and his front bench team, by the National press. 

This seat was not on the radar as a winnable seat, rather the plan was to defend seats already held.

So during the course of what was to be a disastrous campaign by the Tories, to build towards this now being the 10th most marginal seat in UK held by Tories is a remarkable outcome.

We now have 17 seats held by Tories with less than 1000 vote margin. The Tories can only govern with the help from the most reactionary elected bigots in Britain, the DUP. The prime minister is called a dead woman walking by her former colleague Osbourne and Telegraph headline is in office but not in power.

Likelihood is the Government will collapse in acrimony fairly quickly May will be replaced by someone worse. If they do struggle on Brexit talks will be a bus crash and we will be having another election. Labour will be starting from a higher base; already 150,000 new members have joined since election.

Labour will be returned to govern, hopefully with a majority but as the largest party with aim of stopping austerity and Calder Valley will have a decent Labour representative as MP, whether the Greens decide to come on board or not.

From Tim M

Monday, 12 June 2017

There are several seats - Richmond Park, St Ives where tactical voting by more Labour voters would have meant anti-Tory candidates winning.

I certainly don't think its fair to criticise voters of other parties for Josh's failure to win. If there is another election, let's hope he can oust Mr Whittaker.

However - I don't see any guarantee a further election will result in the outcome many on the left feel is inevitable. It's hard to quantify how many people voted for Corbyn in the expectation he wouldn't be in the position to form a Government

It's hard to quantify the difference a well-run Tory campaign would have had, plus there's the new 'avuncular' politics - people still seem, improbably, to respond to Boris Johnson. Strange times.

From David Thompson

Tuesday, 13 June 2017

Before Craig Whittaker was first elected as our MP, I remember reading that he had said, "I have a burning desire to walk the corridors of power". I thought at the time that was not a good reason to elect him, but a very good reason not to. I have played my small part in attempting to deny him his ambition, without success so far. But next time...

From Andy G

Thursday, 15 June 2017

Unfortunately "walking the corridors of power" is all that Craig Whittaker ever seems to do. He certainly does b****r all for his constituents - unless, of course, they happen to be Tory party members - and even then he seems to have fallen out with quite a few of his erstwhile buddies! He also seems to be employing his daughter Sophie as his secretary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that MPs were no longer permitted to employ family members following the expenses scandal.

From Lisa Talbot

Friday, 16 June 2017

I would also like to point out that Mr Whittaker voted against a law which would have made landlords make their rental properties fit for human habitation. 

See Independent article

Interestingly, not only is he a landlord, but in light of the Grenfall tragedy he is yet another Tory politician who puts profit before lives.

From Martyn Fiveash

Friday, 30 June 2017

Josh would be our MP now had Labour had the foresight to join the Progressive Alliance before the election. 

If and when another election is called, Labour appear unlikely to change their position on not joining the Progressive Alliance. Some  Labour branches want the decision, whether to put up a candidate, left to the local party. However in Jeremy Hunt's seat where a doctor stood on a pro NHS platform, three Labour Party Members were expelled for suggesting Labour withdraw their candidate there to give the doctor a chance. 

Proportional representation would ensure no party could govern without over 50% of the vote. Theresa May is doing this with 43% of the vote and could do it again if another election were called as seems likely. 

Labour need to demonstrate they are willing to work in the national interest and sign up to the Progressive Alliance so that we can be sure of a Labour Coalition Government soon. Labour's leadership has more in common with the Greens, Plaid Cymru and some others than with some of its own MP's. What is it waiting for?