Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

New rail timetable for May 2018

From Kez Armitage

Thursday, 18 January 2018

For those interested in train services when the new timetable is introduced in May. This site gives some details of what we can expect. Just put in a location (HBD is Hebden Bridge), a date after 19th May 2018 and a time (xx:xx format)

If you can't be bothered to do that, then all you need to know is that the timetable is substantially different from what it is now, and that we'll have direct hourly trains to Chester, Southport and Manchester Airport.

There are a few minuses - for example the journey to Huddersfield will now involve a half hour wait at Brighouse rather than the current 3 minutes - but generally it looks pretty positive for Hebden. How the new services co-ordinate with the local bus services is another matter.

From Mick Sasse

Friday, 19 January 2018

It's worth pointing out that the times on that site should be taken with a sizable pinch of salt as they're not yet finalised. 

An awful lot of work is going on behind the scenes on May 2018, and it's proving more complex even than normal (and that's saying something).

Without boring you with the details, there are yet more problems with Network Rail infrastructure projects (particularly electrifying the Preston - Manchester line which is needed to free up diesel trains), and with a background shortage of diesel trains, all of which are presenting real problems.  

It could be as late as the end of February, I'm afraid, before we have a firm picture of what Northern services will look like after the May timetable change.  

From Martin F

Saturday, 20 January 2018

Kez, Thanks very much for posting the information.

Even if the post-May information is likely to change, I am very grateful for the link as it shows the real progress of trains I am interested in catching and whether they are going to be late or not.

Thanks again.