Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Hebden Bridge Group Practice

From Vivien Aspey

Thursday, 10 January 2019

Hi folks! Long time since I've posted on here. Although there is no evidence that anything changes as a result of what we say, sometimes just knowing that others are in the same boat makes the present situation more bearable.

I'm finding that booking an appointment is far more effective than attending the morning free for all, because you choose who you see. Of course depending on your problem that is not always possible and attending in the morning results in your seeing practioners from a variety of clinical backgrounds  other than medical.

I dont know whether anyone in the Practice is undertaking a clinical audit of appropriateness of clinical discipline or outcomes of consultations, but I am certainly gleaning information, not just from my own experience but from that of others.

It is extremely important that if you think the person you spoke with was not the best discipline to deal with your symptoms, and even more so if later events proved you right, that you write to the Clinical Commissioning Group.

Using the Practice complaints procedure is a purely internal mechanism, and the Practice should be evaluating their own performance anyway as they have access to all relevant information. But it is the Clinical Commissioning Group on behalf of the government who are paying for this professionally watered down service, however unavoidable, and it is only over time and based on feedback from many patients that the adequacy of primary care in Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd and Luddendenfoot can be judged.

Silence in this context gives consent and approval.

From Jim Brierley

Saturday, 12 January 2019

I have long suspected that there is a plan to redevelop the whole of Valley Road, since the market was relocated.  Perhaps this includes the HBGP building as well?

From Sally J Richards

Saturday, 19 January 2019

I'm upset about the advice I got from ANP recently when I attempted to get advice and treatment for vertigo and was offered a prescription for antihistamines...for god's sake! I questioned it and the ANP couldn't substantiate why he had offered the medication other than to say most people want a prescription. He also offered exercises and requested I return if the condition didn't improve. This was more like it. I question the control drug companies have?

From David Morby

Tuesday, 22 January 2019

Having just returned from being hospitalised in Bavaria with pneumonia where I received, prompt, efficient and appropriate caring services. I attempted to get a GP appointment as I needed to explain the situation and gain advice support and continued medication. This was a condition imposed by the German Dr who let me fly home. I also needed to interpret the Drs report which would take more than 5 mins. 

The receptionists response was pretty dismissive, polite, but dismissive and the only option was to go to mytholmroyd and join the queue from 08.30. Although this was the last thing I felt like doing, I did and was seen by nurse practitioner who was very nice, but on this occasion a Dr would have been preferable. 

This system of queueing and waiting to see a GP took me back to when I was a child in the 60s. It was terrible then and it’s appalling now. What has happened to our practice? It used he so good, now Poor at best. 

From Vivien Aspey

Friday, 15 February 2019

I would like to know where the 2019 posts are for the Hebden Bridge Group Practice.

Unfortunately, the challenges of 2018 for ordinary people accessing primary care in the Upper Calder Valley have not gone away- the practice continues to survive through the use of temporary doctors, and even though their clinical skills are not in question, continuity of care and the need felt by people with chronic health problems for medical advice from someone who knows their family and background, are completely overlooked.

There is no foreseeable likelihood of the practice's situation improving in 2019.  Meanwhile its patients need somewhere to communicate with each other about what it is like to be on the receiving end of heartless management policies communicated by staff who all share a duty of confidentiality but not necessarily an understanding of the impact on people with health problems.

The Hebden Bridge Group Practice has never distinguished itself by consulting its patients but without this forum , and despite the best efforts of the long suffering PPG, they appear to have stopped e ven listening.

From Carol Jackson

Tuesday, 19 March 2019

After being ill recently, and managing  with prescription tablets that I keep at home  for such relapses in my chronic illness, I have just looked online to book a routine appointment to follow things up and was shocked to see there is only one appointment in any area apart from blood tests (the appointment is  at Lud Foot) until after the 2/5/2019. This seems an awful long time to be cut loose and I am starting to really feel anxious about getting urgent help if I ever needed it,and the way things are going at Hebden Bridge practice.

When one does go in, the waiting room seems empty, what are they actually doing in there? The hearing aid clinic is finished, and now they will no longer syringe ears. It means waiting months for a hospital visit.

I thought the idea of the various cuts and changes were to make more time for so called routine care? Now we seem to have no access to care at all except perhaps by enduring the scrum of the walk in appointments between 8.30 and 10.30. One hopes that any illness occurs at the specified times in order to get treatment.

From Jan Scott

Wednesday, 20 March 2019

In my experience, it is worth logging in to the GP website regularly. I have been able to secure several 'same day' appointments that way.  e.g. I've just looked and there are currently two available for tomorrow.

See also

HebWeb Forum: Hebden Bridge Group Practice - messages from August to December 2018

HebWeb News: Hebden Bridge Group Practice changes appointments system (25 Aug)