Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

New street lights

From John B

Tuesday, 20 August 2019

Has anybody got any thoughts about the new street lights they're putting in (seen them in Old Town and Cragg Vale so far)? They're LED so energy-saving, which is great, but I find they are dazzling for drivers, don't spread the light effectively along the road, and thus create deeper pools of darker shadow which potentially increases various pedestrian hazards. Perhaps they need some diffuser cover, or something?

From Pete Clough

Sunday, 25 August 2019

There are one or two near where we live in the centre of Hebden Bridge and they’re painfully bright - they might be a bit better on the flat but they’re horrible for pedestrians on hills (e.g. - try walking up Bankside at night).

Yep - diffusers please, council.

From Andy M

Monday, 26 August 2019

We've had most of our old sodiums replaced with LEDs in Heptonstall and its a big improvement. less light pollution, less sickly orange murk.

There are some concerns re: wildlife - particularly affecting bat behaviour - and it would be useful to have them switched off completely for a period overnight.

From Ralph Nimmann

Wednesday, 11 September 2019

The new LED street lights I saw are much too bright = light pollution. If they are on the cool daylight colour spectrum with blue in it, they lead to sleep disturbance in humans - and also affect insects.

The lights I saw in Charle stown car park are a blinding pain in the eye and feel very intrusive. I hope they will not end up in streets where people live.

From Andy M

Friday, 13 September 2019

They are now in the street where I live and are an improvement. And I've found a handy tip for avoiding glare is not to look at them directly ;-)