Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Social Distancing

From Sara W

Sunday, 17 May 2020

I've been out and about on the footpaths and small roads around Heptonstall today, and it seems like people are not making any effort at social distancing any more.

Folks, the rules have relaxed a little, but we still need to take care, and some of us may not be at great risk ourselves, but have neighbours or close others who are, so we still need to be very careful. All of us.

One family of four adults in particular were walking strung out across a lane that was probably 2 metres across - if everyone moved to the side.  I went as far as possible to my side, but they passed me strung out to beyond the middle of the road from their side, and then when I said something about social distancing they said I chose to pass them.  We were on a lane with walls on each side, so there was no choice but to pass them! They could and should have moved over, politely.

We all really really need to take good care still, for ourselves, each other, our loved ones, and the NHS.  Please don't stop doing the things that we still should be doing to reduce the risk of another peak of cases of Covid-19 - and the losses and griefs that would bring, as well as the dangers for those working hard for us, especially the NHS.

From Zilla Brown

Sunday, 17 May 2020

Doesn't surprise us. 10 people came past us yesterday in one big bawling gang, 6 adults and 4 children. Dawdling about, fiddling with things,  wandering all over the place off the footpaths, falling in ditches, kids shrieking at the top of their voices. You could hear them coming (and going) from a long way off, rolling about down the hillsides, completely just no respect for the countryside or people who actually live there.  

Looking to amuse themselves, treating it like a shopping experience. No respect for others who are trying to live  and endure the situation quietly  in isolation, or care that they are on private land, loud mouthed, noseying, peeing in corners. Fed up of them, so many more people about, dogs wandering off leads with lambs about.   

It's very stressful when you are trying to stay isolated and people are lingering close at hand instead of carrying on walking and even worse actually bobbing about, craning their neck over gates to catch your attention, and maybe shorten your life at the same time. They are arrogant in thinking as some have said that they are OK. How do they know? It's scary. I  know people need to get out and about for exercise, but the behaviour lately is quite excessive and worrying, when it goes on day after day a relentless succession of people.

You might well say we should put up with it and be grateful where we live, but when so many are coming so close to the house where none bothered before it is worrying to say the least.

From Mike D

Monday, 18 May 2020

Crikey.  I’m all for social distancing and agree we should all be responsible (stay alert!) and more importantly be kind and respectful to each other.  But I don’t think children need to take Trappist vows or be viewed like post-apocalyptic plague carriers.  I find it comforting to see families enjoying themselves and appreciating our valley.  Long may it continue

From Sara W

Tuesday, 19 May 2020

I really feel for families living in large towns or cities who may have no garden and not even a balcony to sit out on, and maybe not even a nearby park to walk in. It's good that now they can come and take a walk in the countryside, which after all does not belong just to those of us who live in it.

At the same time, parents need to be enough in control of their children to make sure as much as possible that they're not a risk to other people at this time.  Dogs too -  though in truth I've seen that almost all dog walkers have been in much better control of their dogs than usual throughout the whole of the lockdown so far.

During lockdown before people were allowed to travel to walk I was pleased at how well local people walking with kids were doing at keeping them under reasonable control and encouraging them to keep their distance from other walkers - while still having fun and enjoying being outside.  It should be reasonable to expect the same of non-local families, surely.  Not that kids should never run around or make a noise, but that the same respect should be given to other country walkers as would be expected in an urban setting - especially keeping a safe distance while there is still so much risk.

It's not about unreasonable demands for peace and quiet always on our paths, but about protecting each other as much as possible from this too often deadly disease risk, and, as I said before, protecting the NHS and other keyworkers who are at risk every day they work with the public during this time.

From Graham Barker

Wednesday, 20 May 2020

There's got to be some give and take as restrictions are eased, but many people are already forgetting that greater freedom for some means greater risk for others. Roaming the countryside is an unmanaged activity with no queueing, no maximum numbers, no taped lines, no arrows on the floor.

The whole deal relies on everyone behaving responsibly, and we know how alien a concept that is for some - arguably, those most likely to visit Hebden Bridge (or anywhere) from afar.

The 'Stay alert' message gets a lot of stick but I'm resigned to the fact that for a long time to come I'll have to do extra staying alert to compensate for others who won't bother.

From Pedro De Wit

Thursday, 21 May 2020

Can't believe I read this! Children being told not to 'schriek' in our countryside. 

Children can't go to school, can't see their friends and now they are told of for making too much noise when they are out with their family. 

Children are supposed to run, scream, roll down hills, splash through streams etc. They just can't win! If they stay inside they are told off for spending too much time staring at a screen and when they go out they are being told off for behaving like children.

Yes we need to have respect for others but too many adults are far to uptight and enjoy playing social police too much. Maybe these adults should think about who has been handed the short straw during this crisis. 

Children and young people are giving up an awful lot at the moment even though they are at a very low risk of the virus themselves. When all this is over they will also bear the main impact of the coming recession.

From Andy M

Wednesday, 27 May 2020

Hmm -  this is not my experience of walking/ running every day around Heptonstall and Hebden. People are polite, friendly and we get out of each others way, keeping an already lower risk outside lower still. 

From Michele Maldimente

Wednesday, 27 May 2020

It might be an idea to try dissuade people from visiting the town, at least until they open the toilets......