Small ads

Council Tax Banding

From Emma S

Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Has anyone tried or succeeded in getting their house re-banded for council tax?

I have a feeling that mine is in a band that is too high compared to my neighbours in comparable houses, but I’m nervous of challenging it in case it backfires and the council decides to put it up instead of down!

I’d be interested to hear anyone’s experiences of this with Calderdale council.

From Anne H

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

I had my house re-banded - it’s well worth it! I followed the steps on Martin Lewis’s moneysavingexpert website. Two things have to be in evidence to have a good chance of succeeding. You have to be in a higher band than similar houses in your neighbourhood. And you have to show that your house was put in the wrong band in the first place - by demonstrating it was over-valued in 1991 when they were valued for council tax purposes (a lot of houses were). There is a website by Nationwide where you can calculate the estimated value in 1991 based on its value at any time since (e.g. when you bought it). Email me if you want links. Good luck

From Ian M

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

I managed to get my house re branded (and passed on the info to 26 others on my street who were also successful)

Do your homework - check similar houses in the area and see what they are paying, but above all be persistent but polite and you should win through