Ryburne

Small ads

Shortish walk from Hebden Bridge — suggestions?

From Helen Appleyard

Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Hello
A week on Sunday, I am having about 10-12 people round for lunch and then, they request, a shortish walk starting from my house in the town centre. Hardcastle Crags is probably a bit too far. There will probably be a toddler in a pushchair.

Can anyone help with a good suggestion of somewhere interesting to walk to, maybe with something unusual to look at at on the way??

Thanks very much
Helen

From N Yorke

Tuesday, 13 July 2010

One that we’ve done is to get the bus up to The New Delight pub at Jack’s Bridge then walk back down the track way to Mytholm. It’s good as it’s a lovely walk, all down hill and easy on the feet. Should be fine for a push chair (mostly). I guess it takes about 40-50 mins plus the bus ride up.

From Andrew Hall

Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Agreed with N Yorke with two provisos. The ‘E’ bus to Blackshaw Head can get pretty busy and an extra 12 on it may mean standing room only. Secondly, the track down from the Newdie is really very rough in places. Possibly a bit too uncomfortable for both toddler and pusher.

If buses are an option, don’t forget the 906 service which will take you to the entrance to Hardcastle Crags, where you can walk/paddle etc to your heart’s content. You could also call in at the Blue Pig for an afternoon pint. The 906 also goes to Widdop Reservoir and will stop anywhere en route. There are some really good waterworks tracks in those parts.

As for pushchair walks from the centre of Hebden without using buses, hmmm — quite a challenge. Probably the park and canal towpath in either direction.

From Tim M

Tuesday, 20 July 2010

The walk from the New Delight via the track is a good one, probably do-able with a push chair. Stop off at Hebble Hole for a paddle if its sunny too. You do miss the most interesting bits of Colden Clough though. Otherwise, why not walk towards Tod on the canal towpath? The scenery is as lovely as anywhere and its level pushing. You can sometimes get a cup of tea at Brigholme Cricket club too! Widdop is great, but not so easy to do a circuit round with a pushchair.

From Anne H

Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Widdop is not a good place to walk at the moment. Yorkshire Water are carrying out improvement works from 19th July for 3-4 months and some of the paths around there will be closed — including a short section of the Pennine Bridleway. And the car park will be closed.

I’d also recommend either the track down from New Delight or the canal towpath

From Andrew Hall

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Come on Helen! What did you end up doing?!

From From Helen Appleyard

Thursday, 5 August 2010

Sorry to take so long to reply!
Thank you for all your good suggestions.

In the end, we did this walk from this Hebden Bridge Walkers Action page and it was just right, for adults and children. Even a heron on the river to look at ('shhh! don't scare it away!') No problems with the pushchair, although we did lose one or two people to the shops on the way past.

I have a feeling we'll be repeating this another time, so we will try one of the other suggestions then.

Thanks again