Ryburne

Small ads

Reg Godwin

From Susan Press

Friday, 30 July 2010

I just wanted to say how shocked I was to hear of Reg’s death.

When I first moved to Hebden Bridge 13 years ago and knew no-one his was always a friendly face at the railway station and he would always ensure us Manchester commuters got the best deal possible.

Reg was always cheerful no matter how bad the weather — or the service — was.

Over the years, he saved me and others lots of money!

Having recently watched my father also battle with pancreatic cancer, I am so sorry Reg had to go through that too at such a young age. You will be missed Reg. Keep smiling.

From Paul D

Saturday, 31 July 2010

I agree.

I stood waiting to buy a ticket this week and heard another commuter making very similar comments when buying his ticket.

Perhaps there should be some lasting memorial at the station to Reg.

From Lindsay Smales

Saturday, 31 July 2010

As a user of both Hebden and Todmorden Rail Staions over the last 20 years I am saddened to hear of the early death of Reg. I can’t say I knew him but recall that he was always very helpful, friendly and kind. He had a great head of hair and I have an image of him being a Teddy Boy in his youth, though he probably wasn’t . One of the great things about living here is the fact that we still have at least a few staffed stations. Long may this contunue to be the case and Reg set a benchmarch of courtesy and professionalism. On these occasions it always strikes me as sad that we often only seem to express our appreciation of people after they have passsed on and not during their lifetime. I hope that my and others recollections of a true friend of the users of our local railway provides some comfort to his friends, colleagues and family.

From Carol T

Saturday, 31 July 2010

I agree, he was a lovely man, always jolly. Like many other people I was shocked to hear that he was ill and will miss seeing his smiling face at the station.

From Andrew Hall

Saturday, 31 July 2010

Very sad news. Reg on duty at the booking office - or in fact whenever I bumped into him in The Works or the Jubilee Refreshment Rooms in Sowerby Bridge - always brightened up the day.

One of my last conversations with him concerned the latter pub which is on Sowerby Bridge Railway Station. He was frantically concerned about the little dragon/fish like lamp holders above the windows and doors. “They’re not Wyverns, are they” he once asked me. “We can’t have Wyverns on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway!” (For those who don’t know, the Wyvern is a symbol of the rival Midland Railway Company.) Railwaymen, even those born after nationalisation as Reg was, still have an amazing loyalty to the original railway companies.

And to him, a train and bus dayrover ticket was always know as a “brain and truss”. And that’s what they’ll always be to me now!

Don’t forget his funeral in Sowerby Bridge on Monday at 2pm, and then, I understand, afterwards at the Works and yes, that place with the suspect Wyverns as well…

From Andy M

Saturday, 31 July 2010

Just to add to the other messages:

Reg always put a smile on my face in the morning when I used to commute regularly and I will remember him gratefully for that and smile when I do.

From P Elder

Wednesday, 4 August 2010

I can't begin to express my grief at learning of Reg's death. He lightened the beginning and end of many journeys not only with his encyclopaedic knowledge of the rail system but with his immense culture and gentleness. I know he brought joy to many people's days, not just mine. What an appalling loss for us all.

Although I don't live in HB now. Reg represented for me what was best about the valley. Tolerance, understanding, dare I say it, love of one's fellows