Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Volunteering opportunities in Hebden Bridge?

From Abigail R

Wednesday, 23 February 2022

Please can anyone give me an overview of volunteering opportunities you know of in Hebden Bridge?  I would be looking to volunteer two mornings a week, one of them Saturdays if possible.  I don't have transport.

I've done web searches but information is limited, and some of it is very outdated.  It would help to have somewhere online with this kind of information - maybe Hebweb even could set up a page?

From Jewel C

Saturday, 26 February 2022

Hey Abigail, I expect some good causes would be glad to hear of your offer but probably need to know what you can offer. At a wild guess you are under 30, white, female & practically fit? But I'm also guessing it would help to know what interests you & can offer.

It has to be said that Hebden Bridge is affluently independently resourced relative to the rest of this valley so maybe also useful if you could travel eg. to Halifax? Perhaps you could usefully search, compile & post current local needs?

If stuck for a start, how about the Town Hall?  Or if preferring online, look at what's happening in Ukraine to send support there?

If you're still stuck, I'm old & ill so you could come help me dig my Hebden Bridge allotments?

From Scott Patient

Sunday, 27 February 2022

Hi, great to hear your are looking for opportunities to volunteer. The sector needs all the help it can get. There are a myriad of volunteering opportunities in and around the Upper Valley and further afield as stated. Covid has seen some organisations grow in numbers and others suffer due to older or more vulnerable membership being unable to participate for obvious reasons. The Voluntary Sector Infrastructure Alliance – or VSI Alliance for short  has a database of organisations across the borough that I'm sure would delighted to welcome you. See their website - their twitter feed is helpful for finding out what is happening too.

Not sure where your interests lie but I know there are a few local specific trustee opportunities opening up. Calder Valley Community Land Trust, Flood Wardens always need help and there are many civic and environmental opportunities such as Slow The Flow, Calderdale Community Rights of Way Service (CROWS) and many more. I have the portfolio for all things voluntary sector in Calderdale so happy to help you focus your skills and availability if required. Good luck in your hunt.

From Christine Law

Tuesday, 1 March 2022

Hi Abigail
I don't know if it would be of interest to you, but Heptonstall Post Office and shop is currently being taken over by the community, the take-over date is going to be 1st April.  

We are looking for volunteers for all sorts of work, from picking up the papers, stocking shelves, serving in the shop, general maintenance on the building, anything to be honest.  If you are interested please contact us through our Face Book Page 'Friends of Heptonstall Post Office', or email us at info@heptonstallpo.org

From  Mick Sasse

Monday, 16 May 2022

I firmly recommend the most excellent Calder Community Cares? Genuinely community-based, brilliantly run and really friendly - there are all sorts of local opportunities.  

Have a look