Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Co-op

From Paul Clarke

Tuesday, 6 September 2022

I see a serious supermarket chain have bought our local Coop... Maybe we can now actually buy things we need at a more reasonable price.

From Michael Wray

Tuesday, 6 September 2022

Sadly, it's Mytholmroyd they've bought. We're still going to be stuck with the Coop in Hebden.

Still, I see our local (in)convenience store finally managed to get a box of apples and four packs of toilet paper in after a week's absence.

From Jae Evans

Thursday, 8 September 2022

Asda (Walmart?) Really?  ''A serious, supermarket?'' I've never shopped at Asda, - I'm not at all happy about it.  For all it's faults and, who doesn't have those, the Coop has integrity.  And this buy-out, is yet one more - regretful loss, to an American, business as far as I'm concerned.

From Paul Clarke

Friday, 9 September 2022

Michael - thanks for shattering my dream of decent stock control and a move away from the current model of an East Berlin 'supermarket' just before the wall came down.

I've shopped at Asda as they do this weird thing of stocking (basic) things I want at a decent price. It may suprprise local folk that Tesco has the best union agreement with its workers by some distance...far better than some 'ethical' competitors. It is possible to be both ethical and competent and wouldn't it be lovely to see it locally.

From Ian M

Saturday, 10 September 2022

Asda is not owned by Americans!

It is in fact owned by the Issa brothers, two self made billionaires from Blackburn. 

A local success story if ever there was one

From Jae Evans

Saturday, 10 September 2022

Ian, Asda, was indeed aquired by the Issa brothers, along with TDR Capital, in 2021.  

I was of course, stretching the argument in referring to Walmart being an American company of which Asda, remains a subsiduary.

Perhaps you are unaware then, that Walmart retains an 'equity inverstment', a seat on the board of Asda and that the two companies have an ongoing commercial relationship?  Ergo, the two are inextricably linked.  In addition, the holding company set up by the Issa brothers & TDR Capital, Bellis Holdco Ltd, is based 'off-shore', in Jersey. International Capital Investors - not at all unusual admittedly, but hardly a ''local success story''.