Ryburne

Small ads

Disabled access

From Renny Q

Monday, 17 January 2011

What's happening with the provision of disabled access at the station? Read a couple of old posts about it, but nothing resembling an action plan! Anyone know??

From Andrew Hall

Monday, 17 January 2011

Disabled access at the railway station really needs addressing.

How can it be that at Shipley, for example, four lifts have been installed (two of which are totally unnecessary as there are ramps up to both platforms)?

It does seem to be a case of those who shout loudest get results. A sad reflection on our local politicians.

From Renny Q

Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Well maybe we should start shouting louder! I understand the station is a historic building - but maybe there's a way of providing a vital lift that's sensitive to the building - any suggestions ...?

From M Elder

An out-of-service goods lift already exists at the station. The rail company doesn't want to spend the money to modify it.

From Kerry McQuade

There is an access sub-committee as part of the Friends of HB Station who have been working away at this issue for some time. I'm sure your support for their efforts would be appreciated. Does anyone have contact details for them (I'm afraid I don't)?

From Susan Quick

Sunday, 23 January 2011

A sub-group of Friends of Hebden Bridge Station have been working for ages to get full disabled access at the station. It's a long battle. All UK station's have been categorised according to football weighted by the local incidence of disabled people; only those at the top qualify for potential lift installation. We're not at the top. But we have involved Craig Whittaker in our campaign and he has contacted the Department of Transport on our behalf. And he has met and talked to one of our members who uses a wheelchair at the station.

Yes we have had the old lift shafts inspected and they cannot be renovated to comply with current disabled access legislation. We are in constant contact with the railway authorities and have surveys conducted and initial costings.

If you want to get involved please come to the next meeting of Friends of Hebden Bridge Station at 6pm at the White Lion pub. We need more voices.

From Sutti H

Thursday, 3 February 2011

I'm sorry to say this has been going on for a minimum of 12 years to my knowledge.

The problem has always been money. The rail company will never get back the money they put in because there will be limited use by the disabled and they usually travel with concessions.

No pay back for share holders don't do it.

It's a shame there isn't the same interest in the disabled service post. Caldervalley club is a much needed service. There are councilors that read these posts but don't want to tell use what is going on.