Ryburne

Small ads

Anti-cuts demo London March 26th

From Ben Plumpton

Thursday, 3 March 2011

If like me and my family you are concerned about the disastrous cuts to the NHS and public services that are about to happen, join us on the TUC organised 'March for the Alternative' in London on Saturday 26th March. More details at March for the Alternative and False Economy.

There are coaches going from Calderdale organised by Unison, £5 a seat for non-members, full details and contact here

C'mon Hebden Bridge, let's get a good turnout! I bet we can do a great job of witty and funny and artistic placards....

Ben

From Chris Day

Friday, 4 March 2011

Thanks for the post, Ben. I have booked my ticket and expect to have an enjoyable day in London on March 26th. (Sorry, but I'm not too good at making artistic placards). The turnout seems likely to be huge and the scale of the event is already beginning to open up some of the issues to wider public discussion. See for example these letters in yesterday's Guardian.

What Osborne prefers to leave unsaid on debt and the deficit?.)
...'does not mention the three Nobel prize-winning economists (Pissaredes, Stiglitz, Krugman) and Martin Wolf of the Financial Times, all of whom condemn this austerity policy as a serious historical error. Why not? Clearly because he wants no balanced public contestation over the sustainability of a public sector. ? - it's a crisis of democratic debate. '

From Charles Gate

Thursday, 10 March 2011

Many people from Hebden Bridge and Calderdale will be making the journey to London on the 26th for the TUC demo against the Lib Dem and Tory austerity package, but some people will not be able to make it. For their pleasure the Government is bringing Eric Pickles MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, to Halifax instead on Friday 25th March for a fund-raiser for the local Tories. They raise funds, whilst we have our jobs and services slashed.

Calderdale Save Our Services have called for a lobby outside the Shay Stadium, where Pickles will be speaking at £35 per head, for 11am.

If you want to buy a ticket to hear him order it here

From Ben Plumpton

Monday, 21 March 2011

Does anyone have any wolf costumes (adult sized) that I could borrow for Saturday's demo? Our family's plan for the march is to carry a banner saying "Don't throw the NHS to the wolves" and to walk along howling like wolves. This would be much better if we could be dressed as wolves too...

Have other people planned their placards and banners yet?

Thanks,

Ben

From Chris Day

Tuesday, 22 March 2011

'm still looking for inspiration. I did find a number of good ideas in this video recently posted on Keep our NHS public

'Dr John Lister blows away the slick marketing of the government's plans for the NHS. His witty speech reveals their true intent ? to fragment and privatise the health service.

Peppered with jokes and cartoons from the likes of Steve Bell, the film is an easily understood and amusing explanation of how the NHS, as we now know it, will be demolished, if these plans succeed.

John Lister shows us why the plans, at urgent risk of slipping through in a fog of jargon and promotional spin, will be disastrous for NHS patients and staff.'

I looking seriouisly at the slogan 'No decision about me . . . without me' at the moment.

From Jenny Shepherd

Tuesday, 22 March 2011

All the seats on the coach are full so I'm looking for a ride share if anyone's driving to London and has a spare seat - will share fuel costs.

From Andrew Hall

Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Marvellous! Only in Hebden Bridge could someone ask if anyone out there has a wolf costume.

No, I'm not being cynical. I really love it. I have a roll of fur, but it's orangy and long - more like an Orang Utan than anything else but if you want it you're welcome to it, Ben.

Good luck everyone who goes to London. Do stay out of trouble.

From Ben Plumpton

Friday, 25 March 2011

Several people have said to me they'd like to come on the march tomorrow but can't make it for various reasons (small children, illness, pregnancy etc). There's a web page which has lots of ideas for how you canparticipate virtually.

Oh, and yes, there's a dearth of wolf costumes in Hebden Bridge. Never mind.

Cheers,

Ben

PS If you're short of a slogan for tomorrow, I've heard that the Beard Liberation Front says it will march in a 'no to all cuts, no to clean shaven Tories' contingent...

From Ben Plumpton

Monday, 28 March 2011

It was a great day at the demo on Saturday, if rather tiring - all that stopping and starting and hanging around. Many thanks to Unison for putting on the coaches. Here are some of my favourite slogans seen on placards and banners:

• This IS the big society
  • Historians against going backwards
  • Michael Gove ate my library
  • David, all artists hate you, except Tracey Emin and you're welcome to her
  • First Dobby, now pensions
  • Fight like an Egyptian
  • A plague on both your Parliamentary Houses
  • Cuddles not kettles
  • Archaeologists don't dig cuts
  • Well-unfair state
  • Cameron's Pig society
  • Where's Robin Hood when you need him?