Ryburne

Small ads

Limited Parking Affecting Business

From John Fenton

Saturday, 5 November 2011

We used to visit Hebden Bridge regularly on the weekend a few years ago, so today I decided to pay another visit, to see the shops and enjoy some lunch there.

Unfortunately, there was absolutely no places to park in the village and the tiny car park in the town centre was full. And even when we tried to find alternate parking, the lights stayed on red for over five minutes, so we decided to take our business elsewhere and won't be coming back any time soon.

I just don't understand how local councils keep getting away with constantly increasing local business rates, whilst simultaneously doing everything in their power to deter customers.

There is one big reason why the Trafford Centre is so successful..and that's because visitors are made to feel welcome and can park for free. Of course, those making the laws in villages like Hebden Bridge are not the ones made to suffer by those laws are they?

From David Telford

Saturday, 5 November 2011

Quite right, one thing has struck me is that there is a very business unfriendly attitude, not just from the council but there seems an air of feeling the many locals dislike their local businesses. As soon as I got off the train a week or so ago, I was leafletted by a leftie type, on engaging the group it was apparent they wanted their life subsidised by the private sector and somehow felt business should continue to be milked until it dies.

From Andy M

Sunday, 6 November 2011

Sigh......

Parking spaces a peak times can sometimes take a bit of finding but generally turn up. I've never had to wait at a red light for 5 minutes in Hebden. And fortunately Hebden Bridge is a much nicer and more welcoming place to shop than the Trafford Centre - which I'm sure we're not in direct competition with!

Do lighten up!

From Ian M

Monday, 7 November 2011

I can only assume you travel in the middle of night!

The number of times I have been held up by the lights in both directions coming into Hebden is ridiculous. Delays of forty five minutes, with traffic backed up to Friendly and Sandbeds are common.There are too many lights, pedestrian crossings and on street parking causing snarl ups to be justified in a small town.

From Andy M

Monday, 7 November 2011

Commonly backed up to Friendly? I must be luck to have (always) missed those! I don't think you can count 'Hebden traffic' as anywhere along the Calder Valley ?! I was taking the red light duration literally but of course you get held up a bit sometimes. However, I'm sure if I set off for the Trafford centre I'll get held up considerably more