Ryburne

Small ads

Confusing Sign

From Dave R

Monday, 9 January 2012

The confusing sign for cyclists on station road...

The cycle route to Todmorden runs round Mayroyd Lane and Palace House Road (National Cycole Network Route 66 I believe) - I can't tell if this in implied in the short piece on the homepage.

Pity the cyclist that needs a hand to hold outside in the big bad world! What's it like out there guys???

From Phil Champion

Wednesday, 11 January 2012

I agree the cycle route sign on Station Road could be a little confusing as appears to point cyclists heading towards Todmorden in the wrong direction. However this is because the National Cycle Network route towards Todmorden currently runs along Palace House Road rather than through the centre of the town. The sign directs cyclists down Mayroyd Lane towards the railway bridge. Just before the bridge is the junction with the off-road path towards Mytholmroyd. The route towards Todmorden goes under the railway bridge and along Palace House Road / Shelf Road to join the towpath at Hebble End.

I understand that now improvements have been made to the surface of the towpath at Black Pit lock and the aqueduct, British Waterways have provisionally agreed to the council signing the new route. The route to Todmorden will in future be shown as running from Station Road, through Calder Holmes park, and on to the canal towpath near the end of Holme Street.