Ryburne

Small ads

BT internet connectivity / network probs?

From Emma S

Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Anyone else having problems connecting to BT internet in recent weeks?
It's not a problem with either my computer or router.

I've been having problems since mid Jan. Have had several evenings where the network has lost signal (or whatever the technical term is) and I've had no connection.

Have called BT tonight - tues - (lost connection this evening and last evening for a couple of hours at a time) who confirmed (all the way from India!) that it is a 'network problem'.

Just wondered if anyone else in the area has been experiencing this.
I'm in Old Town, if that's of any relevance.

From Anne H

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

I'm not with BT, but I have been having connectivity problems. I live in Old Town too - same network, same copper wires. Mine has been losing signal mainly in the morning (before 9am) and especially at weekends in the morning. But it was also off for quite a while yesterday evening. I haven't bothered phoning my ISP because in my experience you rarely get anywhere when it's an intermittent problem. But I will phone now, so that they can report it to BT to get a fuller picture.

From Emma S

That's interesting. I wonder if it is a problem with the BT lines up here? (It wouldn't surprise me).

Any other Old Towners getting this problem? Or anyone else locally.

From Jonathan Timbers

I live up Eaves and since mid January I've been having problems with i-player because of bandwidth. I'm with BT too.

From Christine C

Thursday, 2 February 2012

Hi. I live in Old Town, I'm with Plusnet and have also been experiencing service interruption with extremely low speeds.

Plusnet say they are "investigating a problem that has arisen during maintenance of our traffic management platform. Customers will likely experience slower speeds than normal due to being assigned a default profile."

From Emma S

Thursday, 2 February 2012

Any idea what that means in plain language, Christine (or anyone)? I'm not good on techspeak!

From Rev Tony Buglass

Saturday, 4 February 2012

"A problem that has arisen during maintenance of our traffic management platform" means that the system is powered by a hamster in a wheel, and the poor wee creature has got tired.

I grew up watching The Flintstones. Gives you a completely different slant on understanding technology!

From Emma S

Saturday, 4 February 2012

Ha ha! I wondered if it was something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with flaky infrastructure in Old Town.

It was described by the helpful (trying to be) but ultimately helpless (couldn't sort it out) BT operative in the Indian call centre who informed me that it is indeed a 'network problem' - could 'network problem' mean dodgy local infrastructure? - Or does it mean something else? (clueless)

Up here it sometimes feels like we have antiquated power and telephone cabling. All it takes is for a stiff wind and the lights flicker.

If it is a localised problem with the infrastructure is there anything that can be done? It only seems to be a problem since Christmas.

And if it is a 'network problem' that isn't about local issues anyone got any suggestions what I could do in relation to that?

Thanks everyone.

From Simon H

Sunday, 5 February 2012

I had a similar problem a while ago with my ISP down here in Hebden (not with BT though). I solved it by just hammering the helpline. I told them I'd checked my equipment on another line and it was all fine. If ever they got vague or evasive ('network problem' - no, really?) I asked to talk to their supervisor. Just keep pushing!

Eventually they agreed to register a fault with BT and finally the got back to me and told me it was a faulty card at the exchange. At last!
Tip: put your phone on speaker if you can coz you'll get a numb ear after the first hour or so!

From Gideon Foster

Thursday, 9 February 2012

We live in Luddenden and have been having regular problems with BT for the last few months , mainly issues with speed which drops to a snails pace! We have found, however, if you keep phoning to complain (as long winded as it is) they will do something about it and seem to be able to increase the speed very quickly when prompted. May also be teaching grandmother to suck eggs here but we have kept the line plugged in to the test socket inside the main BT socket and this seems to help a bit!

From Ruth F

Monday, 5 March 2012

Late to join the thread, but I'm a few miles away in Walsden and started having problems with speed of my BT connection a few weeks ago. Resolved temporarily by restetting my home hub, but came back over the next few days. Could do without having to frequently reset the thing, fiddly job.

From Karen Matula

Thursday, 19 April 2012

Also late in getting involved but it is just as bad in Heptonstall. Its a joke especially when the connection goes down at various intervals, be lucky if this gets through as it's evening and it's raining!

We are with Plusnet and they are really helpful, they even sent us a new modem to see if that was the problem. It wasn't.

It's impossible to rely on the system for work as it is so hit and miss. Come on BT do something about it.