Ryburne

Small ads

Hebden Bridge Hand Made parade vs Mytholmroyd Gala

From Jade S

Sunday, 24 June 2012

Sadly because of the flooding the much "looked forward to" Hand Made Parade was cancelled last Saturday. It is being widely suggested it will now take place next Saturday 30th June commencing at 12.00 and that Parade organisers are in talks with the Hebden Royd Town Council.

The much 'looked forward' to Mytholmroyd Gala is scheduled for the same day - same time - and has been so scheduled for months. The Gala committee, like the Hand Made parade organisers have worked hard for months to enable their respective events to go ahead. What neither needs is a rival, key community event in the next township.

If Hebden Royd Town Council exists to support key community events in both Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd, it will ensure the integrity of both is maintained by consulting the calendar and finding an alternative date for the Hand Made parade. If the Hand Made parade organisers choose to go ahead on June 30th it will reflect the lack of community spirit and co-operation that exists between Mytholmroyd and Hebden Bridge.

From Andrew Kim

Monday, 25 June 2012

Jade S,

We're very sorry about this conflict! We rescheduled in the midst of the chaos of the flood and clearly didn't do a good enough job of getting all the info we needed to make this decision. We arranged with HB Arts Fest, who generously adjusted to make room for our parade but didn't realise it was the same day as the Mytholmroyd Gala! Do you know how I can talk to the main organiser of the Gala? I'm trying to sort this out this morning but can't seem to find a website or Facebook page or anything online which has any contact info for this event.

If you know it, can you please email me his/her name and phone number? My email is: andrew@thingumajig.info

Never meant to make it a Hebden vs Mytholmroyd contest. Both towns were hit hard by the flood and both towns need their celebrations right now and I'll do everything in my power to make sure this happens.

Andrew Kim
Artistic Director, Handmade Parade

From Karl Boggis HRTC Deputy Mayor

Monday, 25 June 2012

Fortunately due to some hard working individuals the parade and gala committees have agreed a format for both events to work together, and enjoy each others days, with participants involved in both. I look forward to both being a success and please watch the press for details of their joint plans. (See Home Page - Ed)

From Andy M

Monday, 25 June 2012

I'm a little unclear as to why the two events would be seen to be in competition with each other, even if they were held on the same day. The Gala goes on all day, the pararde for a shorter while ( and some events afterwards.) Neither could be said to occupy visitors for a long period. Surely having the two on the same day would give people an even better reason to visit the 2 towns and make a day of it?!

From Andrew Kim

Monday, 25 June 2012

New Time!

I spoke with Barry Greenwood, Mytholmroyd Gala committee chair and we've come to an arrangement: the Hebden Bridge Handmade Parade will be at 11am on Saturday June 30 and the Mytholmroyd Gala parade at 1pm. As our parade will be over at about 11:45, families will be able to participate in both. Handmade Parade will also bring some of our giant puppets over to the Gala field later in the day for some walkabouts as a thanks and goodwill gesture.

We all need to work together at a time like this and I think in the end, everyone will appreciate how our events helped each other. All these events on Sat: two parades, Arts Festival opening - it's going to be a massive celebration in our valley on Saturday showing the world that rain and mud won't crush our spirits!

Please spread the word:

Saturday June 30
Handmade Parade at 11am
Mytholmroyd Gala at 1pm

Andrew Kim
Artistic Director, Handmade Parade

From Kerry McQuade

Monday, 25 June 2012

What a creative, conciliatory, happy compromise!

Hope all the relevant organisers are pleased.

The Parade, the Gala and the Arts Festival Open Gardens are high spots of my Hebden Royd events calender so I'm made up!

Bring on the sunshine!

From Jade S

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Well done to all involved who have worked hard to find a compromise . . . and as Kerry says - bring on the sun!!

From Sarah J

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Wonderful news that both are going ahead with a compromise on start times - I'm telling anyone and everyone to come down on Saturday to both events, bring friends and bring lots of money! I'm really looking forward to it! Both Hebden & 'Royd need a boost after Friday.