Ryburne

Small ads

Hebden Bridge: Scared of change?

From Andrew B

Sunday, 5 August 2012

I can't help but notice that in our small picturesque town people seem to oppose change, no matter how big or small.

New shops/businesses- only welcome if they are not part of a larger chain. Do people not realise that we have numerous 'Chains' (where businesses have several outlets that share a brand and central management) already in the town?

New/Redeveloped homes- no one can argue with the fact that we need more housing, affordable housing at that, yet flash flooding twice in the space of a few weeks mean that we must oppose any re/development on the grounds that we need the land to soak up as much water as possible.

I think people need to realise that although this is a nice part of the world, we cannot stop change, we cannot expect to be left alone- where there is demand there will always be someone not too far behind ready to cater for that demand.

Having lived here all my life I certainly welcome change, competition and jobs to town be it in shops or in building etc.

I don't particularly like the fact that over 70 houses appeared in front of my house in the late 90's but we still live here, and people live in the 'new' houses too, around half of which are shared ownership- because people need somewhere to live, and these properties were ideal and affordable for them. As long as people continue to move into the area then there will be the demand for housing- the locals aren't going to move out, so we must try and keep prices down by ensuring affordable housing is offered.

Wake up and smell the coffee folks, the times they are a-changin'