Ryburne

Small ads

Mesothelioma

From Claire M

Saturday, 11 August 2012

My Mum has recently been diagnosed with Mesothelioma. She worked at Cape nearly 50 years ago. She lived in Hebden Bridge most of her life (now Sowerby Bridge). Many of her friends and family have died from asbestos related illnesses having worked at this mill. I think there should be something to remember those who have lost their lives near the site of the old mill.

Claire

From George Murphy

Wednesday, 15 August 2012

'Condolences to Claire whose mum has received this diagnosis. This has been a tragedy for the people of Hebden Bridge and its surroundings. I tried to start a discussion on this subject in February and I know that Heb Web has taken a keen interest in this terrible affair over the years. If all those affected had died in a single disaster I'm sure a memorial would now be in place. There would also be a local support group with connections to national agencies. This case has a low profile partly because it robs people of their old age rather than their youth. However, there will be many readers of this web who will know of relatives and neighbours who have suffered from their (often fleeting) employment at Cape asbestos. Perhaps they have information that might be useful to Claire and others. A parish councillor once told me that he thought a memorial did exist. If that's the case could its location be publicised?

From Jenny B

Thursday, 16 August 2012

As someone who lost a close relative (my grandfather) to the disease I personally don't see the need for a memorial.

My mum says that for her, the demolition of Acre Mill served to bring peace. She hates the site and would never visit a memorial there.

I think the opportunity to remember the Cape employees could have been incorporated into the Square fustian knife sculpture in some way.

That instead of it just reflecting the cloth industry, there could have been something added, even words to recall all those who lost their lives through industrial disease or accidents.

I don't know of a formal memorial in the Parish, but like my mum I too avoid the area.

From Beryl M

Thursday, 16 August 2012

I've not heard of any existing memorial in HB to those who died of mesothelioma, but what would relatives think about planting a Snowdrop Memorial Garden in memory of those who have died? This is something which is done in Sunderland, in partnership with the Mick Knighton Mesothelioma Research Fund I think there are five snowdrop gardens around Tyneside now. Planting the snowdrops would be a nice way of people coming together to remember their loved ones.

From Julie C

Saturday, 18 August 2012

It is a total tragedy that so many ex-workers and members of their families are still dying from exposure to the deadly dust from Acre Mill. As I understand it, relatives of victims have always rejected the idea of a memorial at the Cape site. The little wood planted to the left of the bus turning place does in fact mark part of the site. Trees now also cover the land at Pecket Well where one of Cape's big asbestos tips has been capped. Hopefully, the trees will outlive us all. If relatives want a bulb planting site away from Acre Mill I'm sure that would be possible to arrange.

From Claire M

Monday, 1 October 2012

As the site of the old mill stirs has quite a lot of bad feeling it would be best if there was a rememberance garden away from it. I will contact the Mick Knighton charity to see if they can help/advise.

If anyone would like to contact me regarding this my number is 07816 571918. My full name is Claire Varley, my mum is Mavis Mallinson (nee Boylan).

From Julie C

Monday, 1 October 2012

Following, the discussion on this forum, I bought this matter up with both Wadsworth Parish Council and Wadsworth Environment Group. Last Tuesday at their meeting, the Parish agreed to a small memorial plaque being placed in the Memorial Garden at Pecket Well, adjacent to the War Memorial, but not impinging on it.

The Environment group is happy to plant snowdrops next Spring, they are apparently best planted just after flowering. If you would like to contact the Parish Clerk about this, the email address is wparish@hotmail.com

See also:

HebWeb Feature: Asbestos and the legacy of Acre Mill