Ryburne

Small ads

Flood sand bags

From Ian M

Monday, 3 September 2012

I have just contacted Calderdale council to request the collection of sand bags used as defenses during the recent floods.

The advisor informed me that as the bags are classed as trade and not domestic waste, there would be a £68 pound fee and that this was council policy regarding sand bags!

This strikes me as a cynical money grabbing ploy of which the council should be embarrassed. If any councillor would like to look into this.........

From Rev Tony Buglass

Tuesday, 4 September 2012

The obvious answer is keep them. And charge Calderdale for storage. Or just keep them handy for the next time, and tell Calderdale you're saving them the delivery...

From Jade S

Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Is there any particular reason why Calderdale should collect them for nothing? Or, more to the point why you, Ian, cannot deal with them yourself?

From Stuart Muxlow

Wednesday, 5 September 2012

There may have been some confusion over the collection of sandbags from Hebden Bridge. Whilst Calderdale Council is intorducing a bulky waste collection fee, this does not apply to the collection of sandbags which will be free of charge.

Anyone with sandbags that need collecting can call the Council's contact centre on 0845 245 6000.

From Andy M

Thursday, 6 September 2012

Surely it would be a good idea for shops to hold onto them if they can find some storage? Particulary if we have another flash flood event.

From Bill Greenwood

Monday, 10 September 2012

It is my understanding that sand bags can't be reused, due to contamination.

Is there any wasteland nearby that you could spread the sand out on? Then you'd only have the empty bags to dispose of.

From Ian M

Thursday, 13 September 2012

I see all the sand bags in town disappeared from the streets yesterday!
Did everyone take them to the tip together or pay to have them collected?