Ryburne

Small ads

The Bonfire

From Joseph S

Saturday, 17 November 2012

Firstly, thanks to all of the Round Tablers and volunteers who made the bonfire happen again. My understanding is that there is a core of 5 or 6 of you, supported by the Rotarians, who give the whole town an amazing show. So thanks for all you've done over the last few years. But maybe it's time to give it a rest for a bit?

The park this year was full of drunk 16 year olds. The council rented out space on the Marina, keeping people out of the park (and damaging the whole business model where money is made by people paying to come to the park. Let's not forget this is a charitable event.) Most businesses that profit from the bonfire contribute little to it. Most of us prefer to watch it from the hills and roadside, and so don't pay for the privilege. So in many ways we're all responsible.

Is it unreasonable to expect a voluntary group that small to take responsibility for such a big event, whilst most of us sit around not contributing?

Round Tablers, you've done an amazing job for many years, but maybe it's time to let you have a rest. And if you do, will Cllr Young and Co who broke the business model this year, find a new way of organising it in 2013? Or do we need to accept that it just got too big, and give it a rest- Glastonbury style for a year or so?

From Chris F

Sunday, 18 November 2012

Couldn't disagree more. First time I have been for a few ears due to having young children.

When I last went there wasn't even the ban on alchohol.

I felt completely safe with my family, 6, 4 and 1.

They all had an excellent time.

We went on the park and ride which again was brilliant.

When we last went I was worried due to the number of drunk youngsters . . . The alcohol ban has worked.

Yes some youngsters will find a way to get drunk on a weekend, they always will with any kind of event. It is incredibly naive and insulting to think this is anything to do with the council vs charity organising it...

I doubt even the council would claim to be able keep the entire event drunk free.

Fact is it was a great display. My family along with many others had a brilliant time and at no point did we feel intimidated or worried which is an improvement on the past.

Well done to all involved please keep it up, we don't need a council run event the current one is great thanks !!!