Ryburne

Small ads

Pecket Well waste processing plant

From M. Vanstone

Friday, 23 November 2012

I'm so relieved to hear a campaign is under way to put a stop to the industrial shredder at Far Shawcroft Farm (see News: Pecket Well Waste Plans). It's been making our lives a misery for years. What a terrible racket. It goes on day in, day out for hours on end. If that's not noise pollution, I don't know what is. It's just got worse and worse.

Recently the shredder has been making an excruciating high pitched squealing sound on top of the roar of the engine and the crunching of the so-called 'green waste' (a complete misnomer as actually it's black). It's been absolute torture being forced to endure this. Hard to believe anyone could be so inconsiderate. The noise carries for miles all around. You can hear it high up on the moors, and even across the valley beyond Heptonstall.

I'm really shocked to hear the farm has never actually had a licence. How have they managed to get away with this for so long? It's time to put a stop to this. Why weren't we told about the environmental permit application before? It has huge implications for Pecket Well and the whole area. It's ironic that it's Calderdale Council's waste that is causing the problem. Presumably this is why they haven't intervened before.

I fully endorse the campaign to object to the permit. If we all write to the Environment Agency, surely they must listen. But time is very short, so we need to get our skates on. The deadline is next monday 26 Nov so we've only got a few days.

From Keith Morris

Friday, 23 November 2012

I for one will be hoping the enviroment agency grants the relevant Licence to Far Shawcroft Farm. In these days of despair for many businesses the above have shown ingenuity and integrity with their set up.

Forever are we being enforced to be green, but no.... objections seem to rear their ugly heads on the grounds of noise pollution. Disturbance, what disturbance? If people see things they dislike they will hear what they dislike. Llet this go forward without any further hinderance and maybe people will take time to understand what needs to be done to allow green to be accepted and embraced.

From Vera H

Friday, 23 November 2012

There's no justification, commercial or otherwise, for damaging the environment, whether it's through persistent and intrusive noise pollution, contaminating the land and blighting the landscape.

There are laws governing environmental pollution. If the farm has disregarded or broken the regulations they were supposed to abide by in the past, they have no right to expect to be given a permit to continue and expand these activities in the future. It's as simple as that.

If the operators had shown some consideration for their neighbours or some care for the environment over the last decade, they wouldn't be facing such opposition from the local community now. To suggest that local residents are motivated by a desire to affect their business is quite wrong.

From Jenny B

Friday, 23 November 2012

This business is well established, provides work for local people and is providing a service that allows recycling of waste products.

It beggars belief that after years of doing so, 'newcomers' to the village decide to launch a petition to close this family business down. Instead of going to meet the owner to discuss issues, they launch a petition. Historically this is a working farm. The same family have farmed the locality, worked with other local farmers and businesses for years. Their reputation is solid and reliable.

The farm operated the snow clearing/gritting service for years (may well still do) and workers were out in all weathers to keep the roads clear, so that these self same objectors could go about their lives.

For these people, anything that is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye is pollution. Any light brighter than daylight is pollution, and any noise is pollution.

This is not new noise, it is the sound of a working business. To attempt to make wild accusations of illegal activity and noise levels is petty and vindictive.

if you dont like the sounds of an industry, then why on earth would you choose to live next to it?

It brings to mind the case of the villagers who moved to a village and then objected to the church bells.

From Andrew B

Saturday, 24 November 2012

The family who work the farm, the shredder along with providing 24/7 365 days a year assistance to CMBC Highways are a local family who have managed, through various 'extra' revenue streams, to keep their farm going... As you will see by walking around the area, many farms/barns are now residential dwellings catering for the ever increasing housing demand. Why should they not be the ones to benefit from the waste contract?

I live in the area and have done for all my life, everything that farmers do will create some noise, whether its spreading, bailing or having hundreds of cows mooing! To me, this is no different. The noise however has been clearly exaggerated by objectors, I occasionally hear the machine but it is quite rare.

I know for a fact that the Environment Agency have been involved in the waste programme for many years, I know that the waste is screened and I also know that no farmer would risk contaminating their own land when they actively farm that same land!

This process has to be carried out somewhere, just because the offcumdens move into a picturesque area it does not mean that people should be prevented from carrying out business activities that provide jobs to local people and provide a relatively green solution for waste.

On the supermarket discussion everyone is harping on about money not staying in the local economy... Money from this does and would continue to.

I really do hope that a few people who bought houses (because they think Hebden Bridge will never change) do not prevent this from continuing.

From Kay J

Saturday, 24 November 2012

No one in Pecket Well wants to see the farm go out of business, or for anyone to lose their jobs, or even wants to disrupt the expansion of a business.

But the farm has been inconsiderate. The noise has got worse and worse. I have seen and heard them at work as late as 10pm, the truck drivers are aggressive, and this has all increased substantially over the last few months. It really is getting to the stage where it is infringing on our enjoyment of our own homes - and thats just not right. I for one have not complained previously, but the thought of the noise and traffic and disruption increasing by 15% is just horrible.

Us new comers are invigorating Pecket Well and bringing money to the area. We are just as important to our economy as the long term business owners, and should not be disregarded just because we were not lucky enough to have been born here!

From Tim B

Sunday, 25 November 2012

Come on people, please don't let another thread disappear into the "I've lived here longer than you bickering."

There are valid points on both sides of this debate, which need a clear airing.

Tim B
43 years on the planet.

From Jenny B

Monday, 26 November 2012

I did try very hard to make my point without referring to 'newcomers' Tim. But, in this case it has been the newer settlers to the village that have instigated the petition.

I do think that this is a case of people's expectations being that rural means the only sounds they will hear, are sheep quietly baa-ing. When in reality it is not likely to be the case.

The recycling work at the farm has been going on for over 8 years. If it genuinely has got noisier, more intrusive etc, then surely an approach to the owner would be your first step?

It seems to be the case that people who have purchased properties in the village, and ironically many of them are in a former working mill which backs onto the farm, now dislike the noise that they seemingly accepted, when they purchased their home.

It's got nothing to do with being born locally or not. It's got a lot to do with people having a realistic understanding of rural life. And it's got a lot to do with people having an understanding of rural (neighbourly) methods of dealing with issues in a less controversial manner than organising a petition, which will inevitably create divisions in the very village they chose to settle in.

From Eleanor Land

Tuesday, 27 November 2012

I don't think it is unreasonable to object to any business making a loud noise as late as 10 p.m. People should not be having to deal with aggressive truck drivers either. Everyone should at least attempt to be a good neighbour. Whilst making money and creating jobs in this economic climate is important, this should not be at the expense of other people's lives.

From Dave R

Friday, 30 November 2012

I often walk in the area of this business. As many will know it is nestled beneath the Wadsworth moorland and above the village of Pecket Well.
Admittedly I have on occasion, heard the sound of machinery, but this has been not much louder than other farm machinery e.g threshing machines and has not disturbed my walks.

The fact that this is a working farm would suggest there would be some noise going on.

To me, the recycling of garden waste should be applauded and indeed, those complainers would likely agree if it wasn't being recycled in literally what is 'their own back yards'.

Indeed, as a previous poster has mentioned, this farm has a good reputation in the area.

They do also still deliver the snow clearance service throughout winter.
However, it would appear that flashing lights and the sounds of snow ploughing/ gritting 'out of hours' doesn't cause any offence, even
to the nearby residents of Pecket Well who need the roads kept clear in order to get out to work, or to go about their daily business.

I am not condoning any anti-social practises here, but having spoken to a very pleasant chap at the site on several occasions, it would seem that if the machinery breaks they have had to run the odd late session. This is rarely and not standard procedure.

Oh,and it may be worth pointing out that any perceived as 'abusive wagon drivers', may actually be employed by SITA, who deliver the garden waste. Therefore any issues around their behaviour should be addressed to SITA, rather than blaming the farmer.

See also:

HebWeb News: Environmental concerns for Pecket Well and surrounding area from 'industrial' waste plant