Ryburne

Small ads

Retaining Walls

From Paul Rigg

Tuesday, 15 January 2013

There have been a couple of retaining walls collapsed in the last few weeks - one at Hall Bank Lane in Mytholmroyd and last week the one on Lee Wood Road.

There are a lot of these walls in Hebden Bridge and they are getting pretty old. I'm willing to think they haven't had a great deal of maintenance either. A particular large one is the one on Keighley Road between the White Lion and Nutclough Terrace.

With all the rain that there's been recently I think that there can only be more of these collapses and they could be pretty catastrophic. What does anyone else think?

From Maureen Brian

Friday, 18 January 2013

Which wall on Keighley Road are we discussing here? The one on the river side was certainly cleared of vegetation and restored in places just a couple of years ago.

If we are discussing the wall on the Birchcliffe side then the first question would be "who owns the land"?

I do agree that it would be good to know both that these walls are regularly inspected and where to go if we are concerned about the condition of any of them.

From Jess Fowle

Friday, 18 January 2013

This is very concerning.

I have written to the council and also enquired with a contact at the HSE to see who is responsible.

I will update on this board when I have some answers.

From Drew Marsh

Saturday, 19 January 2013

Where there is a retaining wall alongside a highway it is the responsibility of the highway authority as it is their right of way that is being protected. It would be unreasonable to expect the land owner to maintain such walls.

From Steve S

Saturday, 2 February 2013

In general responsibility for a retaining wall belongs to the landowner whose land is being retained. If your property is above the road you are liable. If your property is below the road highways are responsible for maintaining it.

We have had the retaining garden wall go in two places and highways repaired it, a neighbour had a large wall above the road repaired had to meet the cost.