Ryburne

Small ads

Cyclists on the A646

From Martin F

Monday, 8 April 2013

Now that the warmer weather is coming (hopefully) and there will be more cyclists on our roads, could I ask those cyclists who use the main road between Halifax and Todmorden not to ride 2 or 3 abreast unless the traffic situation permits.

Yesterday I drove from Hebden to Todmorden. In front of the line of cars in which I was travelling there was a group of about ten cyclists, all riding 2 or 3 abreast, going about 10 mph. They continued to ride like this (the two 3-abreast groups taking up about three-quarters of the width of the road) even when we got to the section where there are double white lines in the middle. If they had ridden in single file the cars could have safely overtaken them. As it was, a long queue formed behind them until we got near to the Eastwood recycling site and the road was wide enough for the cars to pass.

We all have to share the road system. It should not be ‘hogged’ by any one group of users.

From Colin C

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

As a usually lone cyclist who uses a bike for transport rather than sport I understand the frustrations some car users feel when cyclists ride 2 or 3 abreast.

However I feel that I need to add a warning to drivers that that our roads are often not wide enough for cars to safely overtake single bikes. My plea to car drivers would be not to assume that you have a right to overtake cyclists whenever you come across them.

Too often cars pass within touching distance of my right arm. This is dangerous and never acceptable. A bike is a legitimate road user and not an obstacle to be negotiated at the earliest opportunity.

From G Golden

Wednesday, 10 April 2013

I think you both make very valid and fine points. The two things perhaps feed each other.

Cyclists feel safer in twos, and a lot of solo cyclists like to stick out quite a way also. It makes you feel bigger and more noticeable on the road.

Drivers can become impatient towards cyclists for some of their behaviour and maybe perform risky manoeuvres.

I have huge sympathy for cyclists, I would be too scared for main road biking, but I myself have been frustrated by them, particularly on a Sunday.

They do ride along two a breast, along the A 646 with bends and no overtaking areas, chatting and seem oblivious to traffic behind. Which is then forced out very wide.

I think all road users need to take responsibility, I have seen plenty bad behaviour from cyclists and drivers!