Ryburne

Small ads

What new businesses do we need and want in Hebden Bridge?

From Ralph Nimmann

Monday, 16 December 2013

There are a few empty shops / premises in Hebden Bridge. There are Tesco, Sainsbury's and possibly other supermarket chains, which most of us do not want here (see other discussion here on the HebWeb Forum).

I suggest the discussion on this thread should revolve around the positive aspects, what we need and want here in Hebden Bridge. Potential businesses might read our list and could be inspired to come.

And the protesters against supermarkets could get a list with business alternatives which might be useful in future public debates.

So I start:

• another greengrocers (like the muslim shop in Halifax Road Todmorden) with complimentary offers.
  • An independent budget shop for underwear
  • How about an organic pancake place?

What do you think?

From Andrew B

Tuesday, 17 December 2013

"There are Tesco, Sainsbury's and possibly other supermarket chains, which most of us do not want here"

Are there any figures to back this up?

I personally think we need a decent supermarket, affordable, avoiding travel out of town, local employment opportunities, the list is endless but I suppose it has been covered several times.

From Andy M

How do you know 'most of us' don't want a supermarket?

I'll have a Waitrose/Booths please!

Oh, and a new-age, holistic candle shop.

From Myra James

Of course none of the businesses various of us might wish for can be forced to open here! As for Booth's, which a lot of people seem to hope for, I fear that could be more damaging than the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury's for our independent food shops, such as Valley Organics, Pennine Provisions and the cheese and wine shop.

From Chistopher Reason

A decent Indian/Pakistani restaurant! Please!

From Will O

Wednesday, 18 December 2013

A decent Asian grocers. It would do phenomenally well.

From G Golden

Thursday, 19 December 2013

I find this opening post somewhat bizarre.

First the assertion that 'most people' don't want a supermarket, from the Facebook group I would suggest public feeling is mixed and possibly in favour of a decent local supermarket.

Secondly, the concept that we can create a shopping list of shops that we personally would like.

We do have an independent underwear store. It may not be ' budget' but how we can we sustain two underwear stores in a small town? How could any shop paying Hebden rates survive in fact selling a few budget smalls?
Complete unrealistic nonsense. Can we support another green grocer ?

By all means go ahead and set up a pancake shop, but you will soon see it is not whimsical. It has to be a profitable or cooperative affair. Ask the pancake seller on Hebden Bridge market if he would foresee a proper shop surviving.

Finally I'll second Christopher Reason. A good curry or spice house would be so welcome. I feel it's a shame we have now gained a fourth Italian in HB when a curry house would have provided much better variety

From Susan Press

First thanks to the team who have taken over Bonsall's - what would we do without it? We need proper shops.

Therefore - my wish list includes a fishmonger, electrical shop like the much-missed Lord Dales. Place where you can buy household basics like bedding ...

Organic pancakes? Well fair enough. But something of a niche taste - what we really need is a decent curry house. Love Eastern Spice lads dearly but not really a night out, and Sowerby Bridge has three excellent curry houses.

Agree we did not need another Italian on the sight of AJs, but can I plug Marco's Valley Road who now opens in evenings for private partirs and does affordable pasta and pizza dishes all home-made.

From Maureen Norwood

n Aldi please, a Jack Fulton's and a Cut - price Charlie's, oh and an independent pharmacy not Boots, but one that pays tax.

From Eleanor Land

I totally agree with Maureen about an independent pharmacy. Two Boots are too many. I was recently given a grilling when I asked for a box of paracetamol. I wouldn't mind if I were buying numerous boxes, but one box definitely does not warrant an interrogation from a pharmacist you have never seen before. The fact the don't pay their tax rubs salt in the wound!

From Paul Clarke

I bumped into Christopher at the theatre in Bradford before he departed for one of the seemingly endless decent curry houses. I am desperate - really desperate - for a decent sit down/take out as the current offer is very poor.

In general I think the food offer in Hebden is pretty mediocre and as someone pointed out Sowerby is much better.

Agree with Susan re: a fishmonger as I have to go to the supermarket for fish (I know, burn me at the recycled stake) and it would do well here.

I never use the existing greengrocer so no idea if there is a market for another one.

Anyone thought about opening a coffee shop as I think that might work.

From J Hartley

The pharmacist was probably only following the necessary procedure and no doubt pays taxes as well. I agree that either a good Indian or Chinese Restaurant would fit well in HB.

From G Golden

Friday, 20 December 2013

Just to reminds folks there is a fantastic fresh fish van at hebden bridge market on a Thursday and at Todmorden market also

From Jan Bridget

Saturday, 21 December 2013

There is an excellent curry restaurant in Todmorden - Vedas!

From Susan Press

Saturday, 21 December 2013

I was a tad mystified/ disappointed when the new restaurant turned out to be another Italian which we really do not need. However Popped in to the next-door deli to have a look for little Xmas - treats could not believe the prices. £5 for a small bag of risotto rice and about £2 for tin of borlotti beans. Pennine Wine and Cheese stuff is a bit expensive but this is totally untenable pricing - OK they import the stuff from Italy but probably cheaper to fly there and stock up.

From Andy M

Tuesday, 24 December 2013

The new italian will succeed or fail depending on market forces - like all the other little shops /supermarkets /cafes etc etc

I too have popped in, and, whilst it is not cheap, the deli's espresso is great and the bread very nice. The restaurant is not overpriced and the food is better than the other Italian's in town.

We want independent chi chi shops . . . but only if we agree on-line first, and that they're not for day-trippers, or are chains, or etc etc

From Steven Dole

Sunday, 29 December 2013

We used to have a pancake house - where The Deli is now on Market Street. It didn't last very long.