Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Future of the Hole in the Wall

From Andy G

Monday, 20 January 2014

Following the current owner's failure to obtain planning consent to close off the cobbled area in front of the former Hole in t'Wall pub for parking purposes, he has now put the property up for sale. In theory this would seem to be a great victory for the people of Hebden Bridge, the majority of whom would seem to want the building to re-open as a free-of-tie pub, or perhaps a restaurant (many would like to see it become a good quality curry house).

However, if the owner had any business sense whatsoever, he would realise that the majority of small local pub companies and restaurant chains prefer to lease properties rather than purchase them and would therefore put the property up to let and get a regular income from it. Of course, if a rich lottery winner should decide to make an offer for the property, that could be the ideal solution. There again, pigs might fly down the valley!

From Jack Hughes

Tuesday, 21 January 2014

A small point perhaps, but can we please go back to referring to the pub by its proper name of 'The Hole In The Wall' or even just 'The Hole' rather than the twee and grammatically inconsistent affectation forced upon it by a previous owner who presumably had a limited knowledge of local dialect. Call me a pedant if you like!

From Graham Barker

Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Please let's be careful when discussing this. We don't know what the owner's plans were or are, or the circumstances that led him to put the building up for sale. Talk of 'a great victory' makes me for one feel extremely uneasy, and I'm not aware of any evidence that a majority of us have a burning desire to see the building retained as a pub.

And before Paul Clarke quite justifiably says it, those who believe it should remain a pub now have another chance to put their money where their mouths are. Be honest, if it takes more than hot air a community rescue isn't going to happen, is it? Far better all round perhaps if we just keep our counsel and wait to see what happens.

From Jason Elliott

Wednesday, 22 January 2014

"This property is in need of structural repair, it is located within the Hebden Bridge flood zone, requires timber treatment and has drainage problems." is what is says on the sale website.

We all like a good moan every now and then, and sure, many of us have had great nights there, but I feel sure that the readers of this forum can all think of better ways to gamble £390,000 (plus at least a further £100k in repairs at least)?

Allegedly, the issues with the building stem back to an ill-thought-out agreement made by the then-owners many years ago with Yorkshire Water.

From Kez Armitage

Wednesday, 22 January 2014

As Graham says, we don't know what the real plans are for the Hole in the Wall.

I've never seen such a negative sales pitch for the building - structural repairs needed, rotten timber, liable to flooding, drainage problems, and something so nasty in the cellar that you're not even allowed to go there! And all this for a mere £390,000!

It's almost as if someone really doesn't want to sell it, and is merely going through the motions. But why? To prove some sort of point? To demonstrate that there's no interest? We just don't know, but I'm sure we'll find out in the next two years.

From Andrew B

Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Not only that but the place has been made to look like a derelict building from the outide (barbed wire for one thing) and there are no interior photos. If the owner was looking to buy, develop and flip the property for a quick profit you would have expected at least a picture of some twigs in a vase and all walls painted white to add 20% to the value.

From Michael Hardman

Monday, 14 April 2014

As the Great Great Grandson of John Cockcraft Hardman I am saddened to hear they are tearing down that building. My Grand father Harold Hardman was in the RN and was transferred from Portsmouth to Simonstown in SA in 1929 with my father Clive Oliver Hardman. I was born in Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) in 1955. Three years ago I went to Hebden Bridge to visit the Hole in the wall as well as the Shoulder of Mutton which belonged to Walton Hardman, JC Hardman`s father. It was very moving to see all this history with graves of my fore fathers buried in Hebdonstal going back since 1749.
Very sad...

From Kez Armitage

Thursday, 1 May 2014

I note a new application has been submitted to Calderdale Council in relation to the former Hole In The Wall public house in Old Gate.

This application (14/00135/FUL) is for mixed use of the premises, including ground floor offices and/or shops, with apartments above. Interestingly, it mentions the possibility of the retention of a pub on the ground floor.

Imaginative, certainly, and worthy of consideration. The devil may, however, be in the detail, and any development will need to be carefully monitored.

From Bob Deacon

Monday, 19 May 2014

It is noteworthy that only two public comments have been made so far on this application. Given the earlier interest in these premises this is surprising. These both object to the option of retaining pub use on the ground floor. If there are those who wish to retain that wonderful tiled bar room (assuming its still there!) there is a need for comments to be submitted to that effect. The rest of the plan seems broadly acceptable so long as the comments of the conservation officer are respected. The deadline for comment on 14/00135/FUL is May 23rd.

From John Nesbitt

Tuesday, 20 May 2014

A likely reason for so few comments having been received so far is that the impression has been given that the building is up for sale. Moreover, a search for Hole in the Wall on the Calderdale planning portal will yield no results, as the application has been made in the building's recently invented name, Hebble House.

The application seeks permission for one of two outcomes: either conversion to mixed-use retail/offices and workshop with flats above, or retention of pub use on the ground floor and workshop with flats above. It is clear from the accompanying planning statement which outcome the owner would prefer, stating that the number of other pubs in the town means that there is no need for the Hole to serve as a pub, describing the thriving pop-up bar that occupied the building prior to sale as "unsuccessful" and making the patently false claim that the pub had been in use for only 18 months in an eight-year period. It is clear that if any discretion is left with the owner, there will be no pub use once the plans are passed.

The impression of dereliction cultivated at the site in the past 12 months, complete with barbed wire and decorative scaffolding, will probably lead many to conclude that any use for the building is better than none - but this would be to fall for a trick straight from the developers' handbook. Communities up and down the country have seen former pub premises managed into dilapidation in recent years, with owners claiming that they are not financially viable and petitioning planning authorities for changes of use generating big profits from prime real estate. If the Hole in the Wall, one of Hebden Bridge's grandest and oldest pubs, is to be saved from a similar fate, it is important that it is made clear to the council this week that the proposed application should be accepted only on the condition that the ground floor of the building and ideally its first-floor function room (famous for its Northern Soul nights in the late 1960s and badly missed since its loss to the community 12 months ago) are retained for what was their original purpose: public use and enjoyment.

Attention should be drawn to policy CF5 in Calderdale's replacement unitary development plan, on development which involves the loss of community facilities such as public houses. The policy is a principal consideration and cannot be overridden by other policies. It states that planning applications involving the loss of a public house are expected to demonstrate i) that there is no need for the facility in the local area; ii) that it is no longer a viable operating business; iii) that all reasonable efforts have been made to retain the facility by investigating the possibility of setting up a community owned and managed enterprise and iv) that there is no reasonable prospect of the business becoming viable in the future. The applicant has neither accurately nor satisfactorily demonstrated any of these things in his proposals.

No reference is made in the application to preserving the distinctive internal features of the pub - its marble floors, mosaics and ornate tiling. All these could be lost if the conversion goes ahead. Although the packhorse bridge beside the pub is listed, the Hole itself is not, leaving its original Victorian and later Art Deco features vulnerable to whims of developers.

A reminder of the deadline again: this Friday 23 May. Please go to the Calderdale planning portal and search either for Hebble House or type in ref. 14/00135/FUL, and do your bit to save the Hole.

From Jeanette Keen

Thursday, 22 May 2014

The notice for the planning application has only been displayed at the rear of the building. It has not been placed on a notice board. Instead it is wrapped around the post making it difficult to be seen and read with ease.

The post at the front of the building by the bridge has a highways notice on. However there is an empty highways notice board across the road. Basically, the notice is obscured from full view. It was displayed at lunchtime on the 8th May states in it's content that we have 21 days to object but we have been robbed of seven days because the Calderdale planning site said the last day to comment is tomorrow Friday the 23rd May.

I'm on my way to see planning to get the full 21 days that we the public are entitled to. I will also push for an extention due to the obscure and discret positioning of the public notice.

From Kimmie D

Friday, 30 May 2014

There are some very well made comments on the planning application, which I hope the planners will take into account. The Hole in the Wall is a much loved and historical part of Hebden Bridge and I am sure many townsfolk would frequent it if it were reopened as a pub again.

From Susi Harris

Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Open letter to HB Times after the front page story this week:

Dear Sir

I am writing to express my condolences to Michael Green who currently owns Hebble House - or the Hole in the Wall pub, as this building is still known to locals. His tap water.org company that was supposed to operate from the building appears to have fallen by the wayside, his application for car parking space in the middle of the historic route from the 14th century Bridge after which our town is named and the buttress has been turned down so he must be desperate now to sell the property.

Why oh why has nobody explained to him that the scaffolding on the outside of the pub has no purpose whatsoever but to make the building appear more in need of repair than is the case? Nor has anyone told him that to sell a property, ensuring publication on a regular basis of negative statements about the condition of the building, massively overpricing the property and insisting that a surveyor must accompany all prospective purchasers at viewings will be very off-putting and make it hard for him to sell. Similarly the grass growing out of the gutters and the barbed wire-topped plyboard atop the yard walls combine to give a most forbidding impression.

In the circumstances the poor man clearly has not choice but to apply for a change of use on the grounds that this apparently derelict building is no longer fit to be the thriving hub of community life, charitable activity, and live music that it was until so very recently, and must be turned to a healthy profit for the developer at all costs.

Surely the council, like the Hebden Bridge Times itself will take pity on the poor man and give him every available assistance?

Yours sincerely

SR Harris

From Madeleine Brooks

Wednesday, 4 June 2014

I have known the Hole In The Wall for almost my entire life from under age pints in the late eighties, celebrating my 21st Birthday on cocktails, which resulted in my peaking too soon and subsequently getting carried home in fireman's lift by 9pm right up to enjoying fantastic food when the Council footed the rent so that Nelsons could successfully run as a "pop up bar" there.

Anyone could have purchased that building,but it happened to be Mike Green. I would like to think having read up about Tapwater.org and their ethos, he believed Hebden Bridge would have been a good place to have his business.

A lot of businesses such as those all the way down Market and Crown Streets have flats situated above the properties to support the varying business enterprises, so when Mike Green makes the application for flats, it didn't make me think anything sinister was afoot.

However, something about the whole situation with Mr Mike Green purchasing the Hole in the Wall and applying for various application has made me feel the need to voice concern.

Not in the same vain as most other folk but I believe that there will be other folk out there who will understand my following sentiment:

I have at first hand witnessed the trolling and decimation of Mike Green both as a business man with his company Tapwater.org on Facebook and of him as an individual.

The Hole in the Wall has much heritage and I have loved it even before having my first pint in it due to my father taking me to one of "Alice Longstaffs" photograph exhibitions as a youngster. I believe it may have been a magic lantern show where the "Ground floor" is now.

I have a seen scanned prospectus for "Hebble House" being shared at one point with highlighted points showing that he didn't want certain locals setting onto the premises to view it and that people veiwing must be accompanied by a surveyor..etc. Well I for one, don't blame him.

The people who were seriously interested would be better suited for being properly accompanied and this man had already been subjected to much ridicule and harrassment by this point.

In his "building developer" background he went out to Sri Lanka in the wake of the devestating Tsunamis to help re-develop where people's homes had been destroyed.

Mike Green has worked hard to lessen landfill and mass plastic consumerism by working with festivals to provide safe and free drinking water as well as trying to educate children in their schools of the reality of plastic pollution and how they can play their part by reducing the amounts they dispose of by recycling or using alternatives such as re-fillable bottles.

So far the group that I have noticed going as far as sharing a portal to the planning permission links on Calderdale Councils website and encouraging others to object to all of his planning applications all seem to be supporters of it being kept as a pub.

These people on the whole probabily never set a foot inside that place up until at the most 5 years ago. The idea that it was thriving as a business is best said to be misguided.

When the Hole in the Wall got it's 1st big make-over by Justin Pringle, a lot of Hebden folk didn't even like him and voiced their opinion a lot. Personally, I did and he is a great business man.

He left the Hole in the Wall in truth to pursue a new venture up North with his family. The brewery hiking up the prices provided a way out but he was going anyway.

The building was in a bad state and although it was popular on the face of it, it was not really making enough of a viable amount to keep it going.

Hebden Bridge then flooded, the Hole in the Wall had been empty for quite a time and so "Nelsons Wine Bar" were compensated with it via the flood folk.

In this time it boomed and was excelllent, everyone was so creative, many folk chipped together and fantastic projects were born. But this was only ever a "pop up bar project" and as I understand it not all of the typical overheads would have been in place.

A lot of work was still in need of being done to the building which was still neglected in being addressed since no-one was able or prepared to do it.

All the time it was a "Pop up Pub" the premises was on the open market.
Folk talked about chipping in and forming a co-operative but due to the enormity of the task at hand in renovating the place, this was understood seemingly to be a non-starter.

A lot of folk, local and those skipping through, have had many a magical night there. Out of our flooding we had a wonderful gift, something imeasurable for the distractions provided as our homes were rendered uninhabitable and insanitary. A place to meet, laugh, eat foods from around the world and dance our worries out into the dusk.

Let's not be greedy, let's be thankful.
Let's not lose track please.

If someone wishes to have a business there with a couple of flats, so long as they respect the surrounding area and take care of it whilst preserving the amazing features of the place, I am with that.

I am not here to pick apart any individual or sabotage their life plans.

Hebden Bridge to me always represented the freedom to be an individual and has been known to be a place of tolerance, art and music.

I want to know that I have not sat back and in saying nothing condoned bad actions that are said to represent myself of this town.

I want "So very Hebden" to be reclaimed in a positive way because right now it's appearing across Facebook at the bottom of Trolling threads.

From Maureen Brian

Wednesday, 4 June 2014

I can only form an opinion of Mr Green on the basis of what he has done since he bought the Hole in the Wall.

If he is indeed all the good things that Madeleine says then why did he

• fail to engage with all the people here interested in commercial development, protection of heritage and tourism?
  • change the use of a building on his say-so alone?
  • change the name of a local landmark with a long history again on his say-so alone?
  • take a tourist attraction out of use permanently in a town which relies upon tourism?
  • arrive at the Town Council with a case for highway closure, adjacent to a tourist attraction and listed ancient monument, with a "legal" case which would not have done justice to the back of a fag packet? (Yes, I was there.)
  • appear to regard the rest of the community as entirely irrelevant to what happens in their town?

This is a man who did not get his own way in Hebden Bridge. Tough! It may because of the way he went about it.

Now, what are we able to do about the building and whatever may remain of its exceptional interior fittings?

From Madeleine Brooks

Thursday, 5 June 2014

How perfectly marvelous to be misquoted myself.

On actual fact, I referred only to the positive things he had done prior to Hebden Bridge from the information I sought out to inform an opinion.

I cannot comment on or represent him personally as an individual. I would care to think that he actually purchased the place with the sole intention of growing his own business there with a couple of flats above to help support it.

He certainly hasn't handled the situation well which is undisputable, but in such a weird and hostile situation, I don't imagine any small unsupported business man would do.

I harbour issue with the inciteful behaviour which has been picking up a pace and said to be done for the benefit of our town. I for one will not become a part of a hateful lynch mob.

He was made aware that he was completely undesired by the pioneers of this intolerable campaign.

The campaign transpired before he even had a set of keys so as for questioning why he didn't seek counsel with any of the locals, the very fact that from the outset he has been treat with contempt, ill feeling and aggressive judgement by a group of folk claiming to be "Hebden Bridge" themselves would actually make his position rather awkward.

There were truly hateful things being put around about him the week he took the keys but I just didn't want to get involved and kept my head down saying nothing at that time.

His whole position looks to me to be nothing whatsoever like a serious kick-ass property developer threat.

Running a business from home and using his savings to fund and develop his business.

Form a Co-op, club together and create something. I think it is down right low and dirty to attack any individual because that is all you have to bring to the table.

To be fair, unless you are going to put your money where your mouth is,
it is his business and nobody else owns it to have any rights in bullying him out of town. He owns the Hole in the Wall.

With people fuelling the campaign of intolerance, I cannot envision a positive outcome for anyone.

If you cannot be articulate without speculation or the need to ruin someone's life endeavours in an attempt to gain some imagined upper hand then you have already lost.

Buy the property if possible and then you can ask..

"Realistically, what are we, as a creative and good community going to do with it?"

What are we?

From Paul Clarke

Thursday, 5 June 2014

There is a model for sorting this out and that is the Fox and Goose co-op.

If people love the Hole so much then get together buy it and run it as a co-op.

I don't feel the Hole doesn't enjoy the same affection or determined band of regulars as the Fox.

From Paul Knights

Thursday, 5 June 2014

Further to the news item on the Hebweb front page that the Hole in the Wall application has been withdrawn, I draw people's attention to the document which was uploaded to the application's page on Calderdale's planning portal on 2nd June, which sheds some light on why the application was withdrawn.

The document contains an email sent by Gillian Boulton, the planning case officer, to David Heeley (the applicant's agent), stating that unless it was withdrawn she would 'have to recommend refusal of the application' due to there being too many outstanding issues, including: needing 'amended drawings to address Conservation and design issues which will require re-advertising'; needing to 'agree a way forward' with the Environment Agency; the lack of a bat survey (which I note, to be fair, was actually subsequently submitted); and needing to 're-consult the various consultees'.

Two and a half hours later David Heeley replied confirming that the application was being withdrawn, and that he was looking forward to meeting to 'discuss the relevant issues.' Perhaps, therefore, we can expect an amended application to be submitted soon.

Calderdale councillor Dave Young has this afternoon (4 June) told the HebWeb that the planning application is now showing as 'withdrawn' on the Calderdale website - Ed

From John Nesbitt

Friday, 3 October 2014

Following a delay in the posting of site notices, the closing date for comments on the latest planning application at the Hole in the Wall (now renamed "Hebble House") has been extended to next Monday 6 October.

Despite widespread objections to the owner's application for a change of use at the pub earlier in the year, the new proposals offer depressingly little that is different from that which went before - save withdrawal of the stable block from the plans due to "financial pressures". No attempt seems to have been made to engage with the community on the future of one of the town's landmark buildings, built for public use and enjoyment more than 100 years ago; instead, the owner appears merely to have pressed ahead in a desire to convert the pub to a vague "flexible mixed use" and riverside flats.

Although "drinking establishment" features among the possible uses envisaged for the ground floor, it is just one item in a list which contains, among other things, "retail" and "financial and professional services". Correspondence with the relevant case officer at Calderdale Council has confirmed that any one of the proposed uses could be implemented, so the building might well be used solely for offices or retail space. Discretion would lie entirely with the owner rather than, as now, with the council, and the pub would lose the protection it now enjoys within the planning system. Unlike in the previous application, no attempt is made here to reconcile the proposals with policy CF5 in Calderdale's replacement unitary development plan, on development which involves the loss of community facilities such as public houses. This policy is a principal consideration and cannot be overridden by other policies. Including mention of "drinking establishment" in a list of possible uses seems little more than a ruse to circumvent the policy and goes nowhere near to meeting the balance of criteria it lays down for justifying a change of use.

The applicant claims that he seeks to bring "bring new life to a ... hitherto important building ... now empty and in poor state of repair", yet it is the perception of many in the town that he has deliberately created an impression of dereliction there in the past 18 months, covering the windows with newspapers, erecting barbed wire and bogus scaffolding, and allowing graffiti to remain on portals and walls. Communities up and down the country, not least in Calderdale, have seen former pub premises managed into eyesore status in recent years, with owners claiming that they are not structurally or financially viable and petitioning planning authorities for changes of use generating big profits from signature buildings. The approach of the applicant, who talks on the Startups website of his "flourishing property business", seems to follow that pattern.

The applicant's claims as to the condition of the building appear not to stand up to independent assessment. In a submission made in response to the previous application (still viewable on the Calderdale planning portal), a chartered buildings surveyor who was allowed access to the building some months ago (and, bizarrely, compelled to sign a disclaimer stating that "all Hebden Bridge people known to the applicant will be turned away") describes the Hole as "a well-built Victorian structure in need of some routine repair and back-log maintenance". He saw no need to replace the existing pub roof, which "should have a life of 100 years or more". Moreover, any building maintenance issues were certainly not factors preventing safe and successful pub use until just over a year ago.

The drawings attached to the proposals show that all but one of the building's distinctive chimney stacks would be demolished to make way for second-floor penthouse living space, impacting on the town's historic roofscape and ignoring Calderdale's 2011 appraisal and management plan for the conservation area in which the pub lies, which states: "Chimneys are an important feature of the architectural character of Hebden Bridge. They are a typical characteristic of the roofscape and particularly the terraces, and many still retain their chimney pots". Equally worryingly, no guarantee is given as to the preservation of the building's distinctive late-Victorian features - its ornately tiled and engraved walls and marble floor mosaics - which made the pub such a special place in which to meet. Instead, the application states that internal features will be preserved only "wherever possible".

The plans are likely to generate traffic problems on Old Gate: any new development of shops, offices or flats would create new access, delivery and parking needs on an already oversubscribed one-way street. New apartments directly opposite the building are under construction; the Valley Medical Centre and new Town Hall block are just around the corner; residential access is required to homes on Old Gate and Royd Terrace; and the cobbled area immediately in front of the pub (which the owner attempted to stop off and convert to a car park earlier this year) is a protected right of way. There is not the capacity or turning space on such a narrow thoroughfare for yet more traffic.

As the many responses to this and the owner's previous application show, the Hole in the Wall is regarded as a pub of great historic and community importance to Hebden Bridge and it would be a tragedy if it were lost as a result of these proposals. The pub's intermittent periods of closure prior to its final sale were attributable principally to uncertainty created by Punch Taverns' efforts to dispose of it and should not be allowed to distract from 300 years of near-continuous use as a pub or to justify short-term, opportunist redevelopment. In the 12 months immediately preceding its sale, the building operated as a vibrant pop-up bar, utilising both ground floor and much missed first-floor function room, and demonstrated that, in the right hands, the Hole in the Wall pub could once again become a thriving community asset.

The best way to safeguard the Hole's future as a pub is to urge the council to reject the application and to insist that the building retain its A4 "drinking establishment" designation within the planning system, with the owner being invited to utilise the building as such. Comments on the Calderdale planning portal need to be made by Monday and a log-in or registration is required first, otherwise you will be greeted by the misleading message that "Comments cannot be made at this time".

From Steve Holland

Friday, 3 October 2014

I have posted some observations on the Planning Portal about the revised proposals for The Hole In The Wall if this matter is of interest to you, please log-on and add your comments. The period for public comment has been extended to Monday 6th October.

At the outset I have to declare that I am fairly recent 'resident' of The Calder Valley having spent the last 35 years working in criminal justice all around this country and in Canada. I was however born in Halifax and attended Sowerby Bridge Grammar School from 67 to 75 whilst we lived in Ripponden. I've owned and been renovating a house in Heptonstall for five years.

I did have the chance to visit The Hole when it was open however and my wife and I enjoyed it's slightly eccentric atmosphere. We also visited when it was briefly open as a 'pop up' pub and saw that it still had great potential as a pub.

If you can't be bothered to visit the planning portal, the gist of my comments is this.

In order to approve a change of use application, it is my contention that the council must satisfy itself that it is no longer viable for it to operate as a public house. I'm unconvinced that their efforts have been exhaustive.

I have had preliminary discussions with a person who owns a number of pubs in this area who believes that the building does have a viable future as a public house and if the building were up for sale at a realistic and sensible price, would be prepared to make an offer on it.

What is the basis of his optimism? The examples (certainly not exclusively) of The Old Gate, The Stubbings Wharf, The Heptonstall Pubs, The White Lion and the inspirational saving of the Fox and Goose by the community demonstrate that where a modern, informed, market-driven approach is taken to pub management, public houses in Hebden Bridge can thrive.

The pubs I have mentioned cater for a range of ages and tastes. What isn't adequately provided for, in my view, is a place where younger people or those with an interest in youth culture can meet, socialise and listen to music etc. There is an unmet need and a niche which the right approach could fill.

What is my interest in the matter?

Firstly, I love pubs. They are a uniquely British (Isles) institution. They are a melting pot and a means of maintaining social cohesion. How many of us started drinking under the watchful supervision of a landlord or landlady who'd make sure we behaved (reasonably) sensibly. Drinking habits amongst young people have changed, but the need to belong hasn't.

I was the Governor of two Young Offender Institutions during the latter part of my career and I know just how easy it is for young people to be marginalised and excluded. It is a trend which we in Hebden Bridge should actively seek to reverse.

I have urged the council not to be bamboozled by contentious statements and questionable data. This is a precious community asset which should not be relinquished in order that someone can make a quick buck. I'm afraid that is the bottom line.

If you care about these things, could I respectfully urge to to contact the planning department and let them know.

From Jeanette Keen

Monday, 6 October 2014

Many comments are failing to be submitted into the planning system. This appears to be a technical fault which has been so time consuming it has resulted in people giving up.

Today is the last day. If you have made a comment but don't see it in the public comments section it is in danger of not counting.

I have spoken to the Planning Department regarding this and here is a back up email: consultsandreps@calderdale.gov.uk

Quote Hebble House and application id: 14/00954/CON

If your comment is not visible today please send a copy to the above email to be sure you have your say taken into consideration.

From Susi Harris

Tuesday, 11 November 2014

The Hole In The Wall Saga continues.

The Hole in the Wall (AKA Hebble House) planning application will be considered by the planning committee on the 18th November in Halifax, inconveniently at school pick up time 3.00 pm. All those wishing to show their objection should be present in order to get the message across. Please bring banners we need a turn out like the SOS campaign.

Please spread the word

The planning title is:14/00954/CON | Conversion of existing public house (A4) to flexible mixed use: A1 (retail), A2 (financial and professional services), A3 (restaurants and cafes) and A4 (drinking establishments) at ground floor level with associated storage in cellar and 1 No residential flat (use class C3) at first and second floor levels | Hebble House Old Gate Hebden Bridge Calderdale HX7 6EN

This is about:

1. Apparent mixed use application, in reality almost certainly flats on middle floor and NO PUB or 'drinking establishment' or cafe etc because it will be too noisy to sell/rent the flats
  2. removal of 3 old chimneys
  3. Car parking in the yard
  4. Possible loss of other historic victorian features (as no mention is made of preserving them)