Ryburne

Small ads

Plastic carrier bags

From Dorian Blackwood

Thursday, 27 March 2014

Having been a resident of our fine town of Hebden Bridge for the last 7 years I find it incredible, considering we are a right on, Fairtrade town that there are so many people who use plastic carrier bags. Do they not realise the harmful effects on the environment and wildlife that carrier bags cause?

Let's get Hebden to be a plastic carrier bag free zone and hope the residents will be proud to do so. An action group may be in order. Anyone interested in helping? Thanks for reading this.

From Ron Taylor

Thursday, 27 March 2014

Dorian, this happened 7 years ago. It is difficult to change people's behaviour I am afraid.

See BBC News: Town pledges to bin plastic bags

From Mike Elder

Friday, 28 March 2014

As long as they continue to be doled out free in store the unlimited use will continue. I know that there are many Francophobes in Hebden Bridge who dislike anything that comes from there but here in France if you want a plastic bag to hold your purchases you pay for it. Result - most people go shopping with a bag /basket /container. The charge is small but the result is that discarded plastic bags feature low in the discarded litter seen in town or country. The problem here is discarded plastic spring water bottles. But that's another issue!

From Ron Taylor

Friday, 28 March 2014

Yes, Mike. You are absolutely right. The French have shown the way forward. When I have visited France in recent years I have been impressed that plastic bags are not given out randomly. The question is why are we so feeble in this country when it comes to an issue like this.

From Anna Harris

Tuesday, 15 April 2014

A new award winning documentary film 'Trashed' shows that our land and oceans are being severely polluted by plastic waste. Managing plastic waste is a major global challenge, and it is something we can begin to tackle locally. Plastic bags, packaging, drink bottles are obvious culprits. Biodegradable plastic does not help, because it breaks down into tiny fragments which produce a 'plastic soup' in lakes and seas.

A major campaign is being set up for Upper Calder Valley, and the film will be screened at several venues during the coming months, Trades Club April 1st, Salem Centre April 16th, Hope Baptist Chapel May 17th, for parents and children, Incredible Edible Todmorden May 18th, and The Good Shepherd, Mytholmroyd May 28th. We hope to gather ideas and suggestions as to how to control the use and disposal of plastic, and form a core group to take this forward. The film can also be watched online for a small fee.

There is a special version of the film for schools (57mins) plus other educational material available. I have begun to approach schools to use the film to bring awareness to children, and I have been invited by Calder High and Riverside School to work with their School Councils to see how students could be involved. My 5 year old grandson watched the film with his mother and really 'got it'.

There are no easy answers, but that does not mean we should just ignore what is happening to our environment, and leave it to future generations to deal with. Raising awareness about the toxicity of the plastic we use everyday, and how we dispose of it, is sorely needed.This is something everyone of all ages can play a part in. We would welcome your support.

Previously, on the HebWeb

Plastic Bag Free campaign 2007 - 2008