Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Old Gate closures

From Graham Barker

Saturday, 20 December 2014

So Calderdale Council's Head of Planning and Highways thinks that when Old Gate is closed owing to building work, 'The alternative route for drivers is West End, Bridge Gate, then St George's Street.' (See HebWeb News)

Has no one told him that Bridge Gate has been pedestrianised for several years?

From Andy M

The 'top' end of Bridge Gate runs from Keighley Road to St George's Street and is non-pedestrianised.

From Graham Barker

Andy - Fair point up to a point. In the sequence given, the alternative route doesn't make sense unless the intention is to send drivers along the pedestrianised section.

From Andy M

Sunday, 21 December 2014

Well at least they haven't signposted it as such!

From David Mack

Monday, 22 December 2014

These prolonged closures of the public street are for the benefit of a private development, and impose a burden on local residents, businesses and visitors. Can someone tell me how much money the developers are paying to Calderdale for the use of our streets?

From Tim B

Tuesday, 23 December 2014

Content: I think a temporary Traffic Regulation Order is in the region of £400 and can last for up to 18 months.

From Graham Barker

Wednesday, 24 December 2014

It's all far from transparent. I'm told that the developers have been compensating Calderdale for the lost Old Gate parking spaces to the tune of several hundred pounds a week, which the developers can't be happy about given that it's one of the slowest builds I've ever seen.

I'm also told that the requirement to close Old Gate every day was imposed by Calderdale on a 'use it or lose it' basis. Following complaints to Calderdale the closures have become more intermittent and reasonable, but it would indeed be interesting to know who is paying what for what.

Road closures for private developments are supposed to be expensive in order to discourage them. Based on several months of closure, a charge for Old Gate on top of compensation for lost parking would probably wipe out much of the profit - so is this developer getting a free or cut-price ride?