Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Gaza

From Rick Holden

Saturday, 10 January 2015

May I just point out that there has been many, many reports in the Arab media of many Palestinian people celebrating the events of Paris this week...
How do the people in support of Palestine defend this?

I'm not either pro or con but was wanting to open up dialogue..

Cheers

From Julie C

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Look up the Sykes-picot Agreement - illuminating.

From Kez Armitage

Sunday, 11 January 2015

Rick, I think the lack of response to your comments probably says it all. Even the pro Palestinian faction, normally so vociferous on this website, are unable to offer any support to their cause. And all credit to them for tacitly acknowledging that there is no place in a civilised society to support the actions of terrorists.

There can never, ever, be justification for rejoicing in the death of anyone, be they friend or foe. Down that route lies darkness and despair.

Je suis Charlie.

From Maureen Brian

Sunday, 11 January 2015

I didn't reply because within hours of 9/11 the world's entire media were showing footage of "Palestinians celebrating the attacks."

It later became clear that the filming had been done at a different event, long before. Strangely, that didn't get nearly as much coverage.

From Rick Holden

Monday, 12 January 2015

Not sure who the one woman campaign in the square was during my visit to HB over the Christmas period. There were lots of propaganda posters and fliers hung for all to see.

Indeed I sympathize with the people of Palestine but, there is two sides to every story.

I engaged the lady in question and asked her to justify Hamas who are recognised by the UN and most countries around the world as a terrorist organisation and some of the unprovoked rocket attacks that have taken place into Israeli territory.

Instead of wanting to discuss and debate she chose to get quite defensive thus prompting me to walk away.

Why stand there in the middle of HB in defence of an issue but not be prepared to discuss when someone questions the other sides view?

I don't pretend to be an expert in this matter but I have had several long discussions with a colleague of mine who is Israeli and has lived through this conflict. He also said there is two sides to every story and neither side is blameless.

I know there are people who live in HB who have big hearts and are willing to help suffering people in various places in the world. But my point is that the "One Woman vigil" in the square seems out of place and I question if shes not prepared to engage in reasonable debate without telling me I'm wrong she should not be there at all.

From Paul W

Monday, 12 January 2015

Maureen is wrong. There were Palestinian street celebrations on 9/11. The myth later emerged that CNN had faked or used old footage, though it seems clear the Reuters film is real.

The urban legend site snopes analyses how the belief that it was faked emerged here

From Ron Taylor

Monday, 12 January 2015

If any Palestinians were celebrating the attacks in Paris then I condemn such celebrations without reservation as would all the Palestinians I know. I find it repulsive.

Other Palestinians (including many in Gaza) have sent out messages of support for France condemning the attacks and vigils have been held in Hebron, Ramallah and several other places in the West Bank.

I also found it repulsive that some Israelis, during Israel's massacre of more than 2000 people in Gaza last year, cheered with delight as they watched their military bomb Palestinian communities (reported in the UK press).

Violence wherever it occurs should not in any way be the cause for celebration for whatever reason.

From Paul Clarke

Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Like Ron I am repulsed when insensitive idiots celebrate murder like when a minority celebrated the synagogue murders.

Thankfully these idiots are a minority and Ron is right to condemn them as insensitive gesture politics don't help in the search for a solution which at times like this can seem hopeless,

If any good has come out of the events in Paris it has served as a reminder that free speech is something we must defend.

From Mo Norwood

Tuesday, 13 January 2015

If you can access this link please do - How the Arab world reacted to the Charlie massacre - it may surprise

From Simon Hayles

Wednesday, 14 January 2015

I wish it were so gentle: see Arab News, 14 Jan.

I've seen the cartoon on the front of today's Charlie Hebdo and it actually bought a tear to my eye. "All is forgiven"

Je suis Charlie!

From Allen Keep

Thursday, 15 January 2015

Perhaps the reason why there was little initial reaction to Rick was that he asked a ridiculous question - How do pro Palestinians justify the (alleged) celebration by other pro-Palestinians of the murder of cartoonists and Jewish shoppers?

Perhaps all supporters of "democratic values" should be obliged to defend the invasion of Iraq or Guantanamo Bay or the slaughter of children in Gaza by the Israeli state –see how that "opens up dialogue"?

I'm sure I was as horrified as everyone else, including the vast majority of Muslims, Palestinians, and Jews – or shall we just say people? - at the slaughter in Paris. But what are frankly platitudes about condemning violence and upholding free speech don't take us very far either. The upholders of free speech and non-violent means on Sunday's march in Paris included (amongst other hypocrites) murderer and TV station bomber Binyamin Netanyahu, and Turkey's prime minister Ahmet Davutoglu – (probably) the world's greatest incarcerator of journalists.

Maybe exploring these contradictions would generate a more interesting and dialogue as might looking a bit closer at Charlie Hebdo and the question of free speech?

I don't know who Paul is aiming his accusation of "gesture politics" at but perhaps the most significant gesture, made by millions, was the slogan "Je suis Charlie". To me, this was a noble and spontaneous slogan that signified resistance and solidarity - but how much further can it go politically?

My politics, I'm afraid, mean that I am not Charlie Hebdo. As an anti-racist and as a vociferous (sorry Kez) opponent of Islamophobia I am uncomfortable to say the least to politically identify myself with the magazine - and I have issues with those that do so simply on the basis of "freedom of speech".

Here's a couple of pieces that may make people think beyond the slogans, gestures, platitudes and truisms. Firstly an article by Mehdi Hassan here and then a cartoon by Joe Sacco here.

Just trying to open up dialogue.

From Rick Holden

Friday, 16 January 2015

Ron, I am indeed all for free speech.

My point was that if the "one woman protest" in the square is prepared to stand there with much one sided "propaganda" material, she must be open for discussion or, if not, is she herself shutting down free speech also?

To be verbally attacked for asking a question that may not of followed her stance is just laughable.

I understand HB has changed significantly since the days I grew up there but, I really question the campaign in the square and the point.

Again I will reiterate I know there are big hearted people around who want to stand for their cause but in the square of a market town in the Calder Valley?

HB is reliant on tourism. If Jewish tourists come to HB and see that level of propaganda will they be rushing back?

From Anne W

Friday, 16 January 2015

Thank you Allen for saying more or less what I think and should have said days ago - and didn't partly for the reasons you suggest.

On that I would just like to add that even if some people had said hugely offensive things, that does not take away from the rights of Palestinians, or anyone, to live and have a decent life – that is what is often at stake in Palestine and Israel. Some of this debate about whether some Palestinians supported the attacks risks slipping in to treating people of given nationalities or religions - except presumably yours - as homogenous blocks not individuals. Imagine if someone implied that you are the same as every British person including those that are racist, misogynist, homophobic, violent etc.

Rick also seems to have taken issue with the woman in the square refusing to defend Hamas - but why would she? By way of analogy, I vehemently support our ability to have healthcare free at point of demand in the NHS - if someone then told me supporting healthcare for people in this country meant I must therefore justify everything British governments or British people have done, I'm not sure I would bother to engage, simply because that would be an absurd demand.

How is the woman standing in the square shutting down free speech? Since when did free speech mean someone must engage in any debate offered no matter how pointless it is? Not sure how vicious the verbal attack was, but perhaps you are resilient enough to hear a few words you disagree with? I guess you are entitled to say she shouldn't be there, so long as neither you nor anyone else try to stop her. Curious idea about being a tourist town where no one should publicly mention the terrible wrongs in the world lest it upset someone (that suggestion about who would be offended looks like another case of treating people as some homogenous group).

Perhaps instead of all the nonsense people go on about - transition towns or fair trade towns - we should go for a Stepford town - that would be nice.

From John Mooney

Friday, 16 January 2015

Supporting the people of Gaza or Palestine has nothing to do with being anti-Jewish.

Not all Jewish people identify with or support the behaviour of the Israeli state. For example, I recently received an email from Jewish Voice for Peace raising money for storm-battered Gaza where thousands remain homeless after the last attacks on Gaza.

I'd be interested to know, Rick, why you think the demonstration in the square would put off Jewish tourists.

From Graham Barker

Friday, 16 January 2015

I've read Rick's posts again and can't find anything in them that is 'ridiculous' (according to Allen). His main point - that anyone passionate enough to campaign for the Palestinians should be prepared to discuss the role of Hamas - is perfectly reasonable.

The campaign is unlikely to affect tourism but even if it did that's not a valid reason for suspending it. What I do believe though is that the campaign has made its point and could benefit from being rested for a while. It must be stressful for Christine, and the law of diminishing returns may be taking its toll. There will, sadly, be opportunities to resume the campaign sooner or later.

From John Greenwood

Tuesday, 20 January 2015

I must agree with Rick on the subject of the one woman protest in the square. I have also tried to talk to this person only to be told I do not know what I am on about and go back to my cave. She seems to be a very peace loving person untill you disagree with her.

From Allen Keep

Wednesday, 21 January 2015

My own view Graham, is there is a lot that I consider ridiculous in Rick's post but I chose not to comment -save on the question he asked which I described as such on the basis it is absurd to suggest that all those who oppose the Israeli state are obliged to "justify" the views and behaviours of all others who oppose it. Imagine if we applied the same criteria to all believers in "democratic western values?!", or even "freedom of speech". Maybe Rick would like to justify the behaviour and practices of Saudi Arabia who were represented on the demonstration in Paris recently? Or is that a ridiculous question?

And here, I think Graham's spin on the issue misses Rick's point. He didn't seem to be asking for an explanation of the role of Hamas - he seems quite clear they are a terrorist organisation launching attacks on Israel just as he seems very clear that Palestinians on a very wide scale were celebrating the Paris murders. Fair enough if that's his view - but his demand was that Chris "justify" these things as if she were a part of them - which is quite a different, and entirely unreasonable expectation. It would appear Chris gave him short shrift. I don't blame her.

I also imagine that Chris is perfectly capable of deciding herself when she wishes to end her protest and I hope she continues for as long as she wishes/is able to. I am sure ridiculous suggestions that she is affecting Hebden's tourist economy, or deterring Jewish people from visiting won't bother her. Nothing much seems to, despite a growing litany of quite appalling comments and behaviours towards her. I hope it tells her she is doing something right.

From Christine Drake

Wednesday, 21 January 2015

After reading the last but one posting I felt like I was a spectator at the Mad Hatters tea party! "Go back to your cave". Come on John if you're going to make something up at least make it something I would have actually said.

And to clear up a posting from Rich. I did answer your question. You just didn't like the answer. Maybe because it didn't fit into your Israeli friends narrative! Regarding the women in the square could/ maybe/ will effect tourism this is where it really has in my opinion, become a bit of a farce.

Just to be clear. I am in the square to stand in solidarity with the Palestinians. Also to provide information in the form of leaflets, petitions and pictorial evidence of what is happening to Palestinians who are trying to exist in their own land in a state of fear and oppression. I have also had open discussions with all manner of people who have been open to an honest dialogue.

However I do refuse to have discussions with people whose aim it is to justify the cruelty and barbarity of the Zionist occupation. People who are intent on defending what is in my view the indefensible. Or people who simply want a row with someone or who's ego demands that I respond.

Over the last six months in the square I have had many experiences. Lots of visits from the police due to the numerous complaints from members of the public, one being that I had upset his wife and children by standing there. I have been called a Nazi, a Terrorist and anti- Semitic. Along with many very personal comments about me from people who don't even know me. My signs have been torn up and stolen. I have been attacked verbally and physically and people have been restrained who really wanted to attack me. But worst of all I have heard more racist comments than I have heard for years . And while I didn't expect it to be all plain sailing the level of racism has shocked me.

I will continue to campaign in the square because I believe in free speech, which is never out of place, whether its expressed by one or a million. I am very grateful to all those people who have, supported me, shown me friendship and have come to my aid when I have needed help. They along with the millions of others fighting for peace and justice for the Palestinians all over the world and the many Jewish individuals and organization's who are doing the same. They wil continue to be my inspiration.

Chris Drake

From Rick Holden

Thursday, 22 January 2015

Firstly I would like to defend myself and make it clear what actually happened in the square when I asked, how could the the lady one woman protest defend the actions of Hamas. Firing rockets into Israel from a densely populated area, in effect using the general population as human shields.

The response I got was not one of reasonable debate but one of anger and hostility. Yes I did indeed walk away, not "because it didn't fit into your Israeli friends narrative!" It was because I will not engage in such hostilities in front of my two small kids.

"However I do refuse to have discussions with people whose aim it is to justify the cruelty and barbarity of the Zionist occupation. People who are intent on defending what is in my view the indefensible. Or people who simply want a row with someone or who's ego demands that I respond."

Chris, it's an interesting statement you make, you're happy to have a whole host of propaganda all over the square which will be quite thought provoking and obviously bring on debate but by your own admission, if someone dare deviate from your view they are deemed wrong and you shout them down... Seems like John had a similar experience!

I can understand why people have not been too happy with you over the last six months, but it saddens me that you have been threatened with violence. I can see why people think you're anti Semitic, your one eyed one view propaganda you have certainly makes it looks that way.

A question I have for you is, if you have been in the square for the last six months, and HB being quite a small town and I'm sure now that the greater population has already seen you, would it not be better to take your campaign to a wider ordinance like Leeds or Manchester? Would you not have impact impact there?

I stated in an earlier post that Michael my Israeli friend and I have had numerous discussions about the conflict, and I also stated he said that he fully understands that there is two sides to every story.

He also told me about his time in the IDF as part of his national service.
Did he like this? No!
Did he agree with it? Yes! because it was seen as he was defending his homeland.

I don't pretend to be an expert in the matter. This week I have done much reading on the subject from both sides or the argument. I still tend to lean towards the Israelis point of view.

I watched this video. Chris please can you watch it and respond? If you would prefer to debate this away from this forum I'm also fine with that too. My email address is posted.

I honestly do think for all parties as someone cautiously wrote above that maybe its time for a "rest" would be for the best.

From Dave G

Thursday, 22 January 2015

Keep up the good work, Chris. The Palestinian state will be achieved and the World will eventually be better for it, and your absolute right to freedom of expression and the right to the Palestinians to the right of self determination must be defended by all those who value democracy.

From Dave R

Friday, 23 January 2015

I don't wish to get involved in the debate per se. However, I would assume that I have much in common with others, in that I prefer to debate my politics with my mates over a pint, not with a lone protestor who could interpret my questions as racist.

Whilst I respect Christine's stance, I also feel that her protest is in danger of becoming something she is fighting to avoid. Is there a risk of familiarity breeding contempt here? Is the cause Christine is fighting for at risk of being overlooked as those who are bored with her viewpoint/ are afraid of debate/ see her as eccentric, look and look away, rush past, averting their eyes from her cardboard signs, ones that might be interpreted by being the same ilk as those used by the 'homeless and hungry?'

I deplore any aggression verbal or otherwise,and would never condone the alleged behaviour of her opponents. But, in choosing to stand up and be counted one must be aware of the risk of hostility? Speakers corner is not truly replicated in George Square is it?

Perhaps as others have said, Christine needs a wider audience to present her protest to? Or is it that it may be relatively easy to protest in a small town square, where ones opponents could be silenced by only a sharp tongue?

From Ron Taylor

Friday, 23 January 2015

Rick, I watched - not for the first time - the video you posted of Pat Condell. He is a smooth performer without doubt but he is only repeating the usual mix of assertions, sophistry, half-truths and downright lies trotted out by Zionist propagandists. What he doesn't say is more interesting than that which he does.

Below is just a few of the many important matters to which he, and other apologists for Israel, make no reference;

Before the ideology of Zionism - a response to the kind of violent anti-semitism in eastern Europe that was unheard of the Middle East - gained support within European Jewry, Muslims, Christians and Jews lived in relative harmony in the Ottoman Empire for centuries.

Zionist colonisation which began towards the end of the 19th century began to change that as Palestinian farmers and peasants began to lose their land.

By the end of WW1 when Britain occupied Palestine and agreed to issue the now infamous Balfour Declaration, Palestinians, both Muslim and Christian, were becoming fearful for their futures as immigration from Europe increased and more land became Jewish-only.

The state of Israel was formed after the violent expulsion in 1947/8 of 750,000 Palestinians of whom 100,000 were Christians. In the process, many massacres were carried out by Zionist forces against often unarmed civilians and around 500 Palestinian towns and villages were destroyed. Most of the refugees were never allowed back to their homes. (Of the 1.8 million people now living in Gaza, 80% are refugees or their descendants).

When in 1967 Israel began its occupation of the West Bank more Palestinians became refugees and Israel started its programme of building Jewish settlements /colonies illegally on occupied land (against the Geneva Conventions).

Even after the signing of the Oslo Peace accords in 1993 whereby a Palestinian state would emerge in the West Bank and Gaza, Israel chose the acquisition of more land over peace. From 100,000 in 1993 the number of settlers living in the West Bank rose to approx. 350,000 today. There are another 200,000 living in settlements in illegally annexed East Jerusalem.

In the 60% of the West Bank under full Israeli military control (known as Area C) Israel operates an apartheid system where those living there are subject to different legal systems depending on ethnicity /religion. Jewish settlers live under Israeli civil law. Palestinians are subject to the much harsher Israeli military law.

In Israel itself, the Palestinian population (both Muslims and Christians) are victims of discrimination - there are several dozen laws which benefit the Jewish population at the expense of non-Jews.

Israel is the only country that I am aware of which has not declared where its borders are.

The government of Israel has never responded to the Arab's League's 2002 offer of peace and full diplomatic ties with Arab countries if it withdrew to borders which existed prior to 1967.

It is good that you reading about the situation, Rick. But if were you I would steer clear of the likes of Pat Condell. From what he says in the video he knows very little.

Ironically, many of the best academic writers on Israel-Palestine are Jewish - Ilan Pappe, Avi Shlaim and Norman Finkelstein to name but a few. I would particularly recommend Ilan Pappe's book The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine.

From Gideon Foster

Sunday, 25 January 2015

Christine, I don't know you. However, I admire you for your courage in standing in the square to campaign for something you obviously feel very passionate about. I like yourself abhor the suffering and violence suffered by the Palestinian people at the hands of Israel. However, I would caution that it is not in the distant past that 6 million Jews were exterminated for the supposed advancement of humanity! Whilst two wrongs do not make a right this perhaps goes someway to explaining the unfortunate abuse you have suffered as feelings still run deep.

I would be interested to know if you would be willing to stand and protest for the causes of those 6 million by bringing to justice the few people who still walk this earth responsible? Both sides believe in their right to the "promised land" as written in the Tanakh but as history shows Religion can be very divisive and the Bible is said to be the biggest esoteric work of fiction ever, so maybe both sides should be listened to? Maybe then both the Palestinians and Israelis could reach their Nibbana.

Maybe debate on here and in other forums is the natural way of the process happening I don't know! In the meantime I hope people listen to your message with the the respect it deserves and if I am passing and see you, I will say hello and listen to you.

From Neti P

Sunday, 25 January 2015

It seems to me that the people of Palestine are pretty short of military weapons. Why is it that people defending themselves against an international military force are called 'terrorists'?

Surely if we take the racism out of it, what we are seeing another version of the way people are standing up against the violence of the international war machine. What would you do?

Christine's persistence in quietly standing there and educating people by highlighting what is an ongoing on is, in my opinion, something to be admired.

It's all about your approach I guess, Christine's a busy woman.

From Ian M

Sunday, 25 January 2015

Neti P, the people of Palestine are far from short of military grade weapons. Do you assume that they stand there shaking their pitchforks at the Israelis?

From light and heavy machine guns through mortar rockets to long range missiles and even unmanned drone aircraft, the Palestinians are much better armed than you think. They are well and regularly supplied by their allies.

It is only because of the Israeli Iron dome defence system that only a small number of the thousands of rockets launched have reached their target!

From Rick Holden

Monday, 26 January 2015

Interestingly to point out that on another thread on this forum that there was a boycott and protest of a performer who was to play at the trades.
Breaking the BDS was cited as the reason behind this and from what I could see reading the forum Christine was the one who instigated this picket/protest.

These action are all well and good, but if you want to protest regarding someone/something breaking the BDS I think maybe a quick read of this link should be in order. It certainly is very interesting the diverse items that originated from Israel.

I think that everyone who posts to this forum be it from a PC or mobile device is breaking the BDS by virtue of using technology derived or manufactured in Israel.

So maybe the picket/protest/upholding the BDS in HB is for the convenient easy items/performers rather than one of any substance..

From Ron Taylor

Monday, 26 January 2015

The main focus of the BDS consumer boycott is to target those companies which are clearly complicit in and profit from Israeli crimes against the Palestinians. The notion that simply because a company is Israeli then it should be boycotted completely misunderstands the BDS campaign.

A large number of Israeli companies are indeed heavily complicit and so are many international companies such as G4S, Motorola and HP. These are the kinds of organisations targeted by BDS which demands they end their complicity in crime and also asks consumers to put pressure on them to do so.

On an individual basis many people choose to boycott all Israeli goods. That,of course, is purely a matter of choice.

Whilst on the topic of boycotts, in the early part of the 20th century Zionist colonists settling in Palestine introduced the discriminatory programme known as "the conquest of labour". The idea was to sack Arab workers and replace them with Jewish ones - in other words a boycott.

From Allen Keep

Monday, 26 January 2015

There is an insidious theme in recent contributions that pro-Palestinians are somehow prone to being anti-Semitic which sits nicely alongside its obverse and equally damaging prejudice that suggests that all Jewish people are in favour of the Israeli state. This ignores the fact, as John illustrated so well, that there always has been and still is a rich tradition of Jewish individual and collective support for Palestine.

I have been against the oppression of the Palestinian people by Israel all of my politically conscious life. However, one of my first memories of the sheer horror and subsequent anger I felt about oppression and injustice was in response, as a history loving child, to the images and accounts of the holocaust I saw on programmes like The World at War. As a result I, like countless others of all cultures, colours and religions have fought (literally, on several occasions) against anti-Semitism from the likes of the National Front and their descendants for decades. There is no contradiction between the two.

On the eve of the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz and Holocaust Memorial Day it is indeed time to remember the fate of millions of Jews and of course gay people, gypsies and socialists too - and our response should be to continue to unite against anti–Semitism in whatever form it takes.

In this context though, it may surprise some contributors to this debate to learn of the reaction of a very special group of Jewish people, holocaust survivors and their descendants, to the actions of the Israeli state and particularly their most recent atrocities in Gaza that prompted Chris's protest in the square.

They responded (with a full page advert in the New York Times) to an article by Jewish writer Ellie Wiesel and particularly her claim that Hamas were using Palestinian people as human shields and what they saw as her use of the history of Jewish oppression to justify the unjustifiable – in their words, the genocidal actions of Israel against the Palestinian people.
Their letter which you can see here also champions the economic academic and cultural boycott of Israel so distasteful to Rick and others who, of course, consistently hide behind their futile "two sides" argument which serves only to continue to defend (as Chris put it so well) the indefensible and, incidentally, contributes precisely nothing to the struggle against anti-Semitism.

Speaking of putting things well, the holocaust survivors added something very simple and very effective to a well know slogan - "Never Again –For Anyone"

From Dave T

Tuesday, 27 January 2015

I've been following this thread with muted interest thus far, however . . .

Before I begin let me just be clear that I have absolutely no religious or heraldic interest whatsoever with any party (in fact I have no religion at all). I do however consider myself to be a fair minded person and I have taken the time over the years to gain an insight into all religions, mainly out of respect to those I meet and also out of curiosity. To this end I took the time recently to pay a visit to Israel and see/experience for myself the culture and makeup of the country. I was lucky enough to engage with people from both sides of the divide and hear first hand (without relying on the twisted media spin on things) how each viewed the other. I heard worrying ideologies from both sides but was heartened occasionally to hear some of the younger generation speak of the futility of the conflict. I appreciate that this in no way makes me an 'expert' in the people and troubles of the region nor does it compare to Ron's time spent in the area, but at least I feel it gives me a 'limited' first hand experience.

Now whilst I don't for one minute think that the 'one woman show' in the square is in anyway religious, I would ask her to cast her mind back to an incident a few months ago following the killing of a 3 month old Israeli baby at a tram stop in Jerusalem by a Palestinian man who drove a car into a group of people.

She displays in the square a long list of children's names purportedly killed by the Israelis. Before anyone gets upset and tries to jump all over me, I only use the word 'purportedly' because I do not know the source of her information. At this time, I was witness when she was approached by a local lady who handed her a piece of paper with the Israeli child's name on it and asked her to add it to the aforementioned list. The response was, to say the least, incredulous, the paper was screwed up and thrown in the bin.

Like others have stated, it appears that unless you conform to this lady's view then she isn't interested and can indeed be rather offensive. (Isn't this how conflicts start in the first place?)

I'm sorry, but if you wish to be taken seriously as someone campaigning against 'acts of atrocity' then is this really the correct attitude to display. After all is a child's life not equal? What message was she hoping to convey by such actions?

Love, Light & Peace (to all) :)

From Ron Taylor

Friday, 30 January 2015

I thought Hebweb readers might like to watch this short video produced by Jewish Voice for Peace; it sums up the situation rather well.

From Rick Holden

Sunday, 1 February 2015

A slightly different take on the situation currently taking place. A slightly different take on the situation currently taking place.

From Allen Keep

Monday, 2 February 2015

Rick's view of Dennis Prager's infamous video as "slightly different" has to be an early contender for understatement of the year.

Why anyone who genuinely believes in dialogue and there being two sides to the story (etc) would post something by an extreme right-wing moralist republican American supremacist with a broadcasting history littered with misogyny and anti-leftism is extraordinary.

Who would buy a lesson in history from Dennis Prager? You'd certainly want your money back here - a completely ahistorical propagandistic diatribe with a (very) thinly disguised racist narrative as its backdrop.
You only need to know the opening premise - one side wants the other dead (guess which?). Job done. Disgusting.

From Rick Holden

Monday, 2 February 2015

As I've always maintained, there are two very different sides to this story. I'm still very much sitting on the fence but it's still important that both sides of the argument get fair and balanced representation.

From Paul Clarke

Monday, 2 February 2015

Rick, your mistake here is thinking there are two sides to a very complex issue which Allen has described in this thread as 'futile.'

Mind you, what do I know as unlike others I haven't supported the Palestinian cause since I was in short trousers.

I am sure contributors will return to this topic again but this particular thread is now closed - Ed

Previously

HebWeb Forum: Breaking the cultural  boycott

HebWeb News: Postcard from Palestine 15